Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car starting and immediately dying

• 14-01-2021 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey all, so I'm having this issue with my car, which is a 09 1.3 CDTI Corsa. The other day I was bringing it to the NCT and stopped at a shop on the way, when I went back to it it would start and immediately die. Now thankfully I did manage to get it back going after 5-10 mins, and make the NCT, which it passed. After starting the car again though after the NCT it did it again, but only once this time. Any idea what could be the cause of that?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Meesared wrote: »
    Hey all, so I'm having this issue with my car, which is a 09 1.3 CDTI Corsa. The other day I was bringing it to the NCT and stopped at a shop on the way, when I went back to it it would start and immediately die. Now thankfully I did manage to get it back going after 5-10 mins, and make the NCT, which it passed. After starting the car again though after the NCT it did it again, but only once this time. Any idea what could be the cause of that?

Thanks

What mileage on car?
    When was it last serviced?
    Was fuel filter changed?

Could possibly be lots of things!

Being opel is there a spanner light or insp message on dash or engine light coming up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Does it have an immobiliser?

Would it start and die over and over or just once and then not even start again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

What mileage on car?
    When was it last serviced?
    Was fuel filter changed?

Could possibly be lots of things!

Being opel is there a spanner light or insp message on dash or engine light coming up?

In April I think it was? 700 miles or so ago.
    I think it was yeah.

No spanner light or anything like that though!

pippip wrote: »
    Does it have an immobiliser?

Would it start and die over and over or just once and then not even start again?
    I think theres an aftermarket one in it, bought the car with it, not sure how I'd go about disabling it.

The fact its starting at all makes me think its not that though? Or am I wrong in that assumption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Hard one immobilizer and key would be cranking and not starting

Crank sensor could be on its way out.

Diagnostics might throw up a fault.

Doubt at 55k it might be contacts in ignition switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Vag immobiliser problems display those exact symptoms so it could be your aftermarket immobiliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Could be the camshaft sensor is on the way out.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

greasepalm wrote: »

Crank sensor could be on its way out.

Diagnostics might throw up a fault.

Doubt at 55k it might be contacts in ignition switch.
    I think i can get hold of a scanner, I'll check that out!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Vag immobiliser problems display those exact symptoms so it could be your aftermarket immobiliser.

I'll see if I can disable it and see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

I think i can get hold of a scanner, I'll check that out!

Would be probably be you best bet really, make sure to check for pending faults aswell.
    Sensors can be checked via live data on some better scan tools and can reveal a dead/dying sensor quickly enough even if theres no fault code triggered.

You can do a quick fault code check via ignition cycle and brake pedal, theres videos on YouTube on how to do it might be of use if you are in a pinch. I know it works on 09 ish astras so maybe corsa also.

On another note the astra diesel has ecu behind front bumper in the wing and is only protected from elements via a plastic splash gaurd infront of the passenger side wheel,

my G/F one splash gaurd had been removed by previous owner and not refitted and anytime it was raining the car would develop all kinds of weird faults including cutting out (sometimes while driving) and not restarting when stopped for a short period. Only to restart when it felt like it and drive fine again. Got splash gaurd from scrap yard dried out ecu cleaned connectors no electrical problems there after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I remember a similar problem many years ago. turned out to be the battery connector - it would start but then the connector was a little loose so vibration caused it to lose the contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

greasepalm wrote: »
    I think theres an aftermarket one in it, bought the car with it, not sure how I'd go about disabling it.

The fact its starting at all makes me think its not that though? Or am I wrong in that assumption?

On my old audi the immobiliser would allow the car to start and then kill it.
    Like in this video -
    https://youtu.be/xfQevsyarAw?t=28

Might not be but is possible problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Like in this video -

I had the same issue from time to time. I'd just take out the key, press the unlock button again and that would sort it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Start with the basics.

Battery, battery battery.

Check the connections especially the grounds.

Then voltage test it. There is plenty of youtube videos of it.

Dont go down a rabbit hole of immobilisers and fuel filters and camshaft sensors.

First things first - Battery.

Like in this video -

that is the EXACT same thing thats happening

listermint wrote: »
    Start with the basics.

Dont go down a rabbit hole of immobilisers and fuel filters and camshaft sensors.

100% not the battery, it starts quick when it starts, and didn't show any weakness starting after trying to start it 5-6 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

100% not the battery, it starts quick when it starts, and didn't show any weakness starting after trying to start it 5-6 times

I'm afraid you are wrong. A poor connection can kill a car instantly.

You start with the basics first and move up from there. By jumping over steps people start ordering expensive parts and not solving problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭CoBo55

that is the EXACT same thing thats happening

With the vag system you'll get a flashing key symbol but because yours is after market there probably isn't a warning light. But as was posted earlier, cover the basics first, battery, connections etc.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    With the vag system you'll get a flashing key symbol but because yours is after market there probably isn't a warning light. But as was posted earlier, cover the basics first, battery, connections etc.
    Will do, I've got hold of an OBD scanner so I'll give that a try, able to check the battery with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Corsa D wont start and cut out for an immobiliser issue. If it runs for a few seconds I would suspect the egr valve sticking open.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

listermint wrote: »
    Start with the basics.

Id agree - the earth strap that goes on to the top of the gearbox breaks up inside the outer plastic sheath. Causes an intermittent fault where the car will start and immediately cut out. Very easy to check. Get someone to wiggle the earth strap while you try to start it. It will be quite obvious if it doesnt start.

Its either something like the above or the only other time Ive seen it is with thetiming chain stretched causing the engine timing to be off a bit. Same symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

My sisters O7 had a similar issue. Car would crank at first, but not start. Then wouldn't crank at all.

Spanner symbol showing on the dash. Battery symbol too I think. Nothing untoward on a basic OBD scanner - that is to say no engine faults.

Symptoms of dying battery. Tested it, charged it, checked cables, swapped it, checked starter wiring, earths, usual debug. It's usually the simple stuff, right?

It turns out it was the immobiliser which had to be reprogrammed. There's an issue with that model, up to at least 07, but has been fixed since, whereby a voltage or current spike (caused by low voltage) can wipe the immobiliser memory. Guy who came out to fix it was well aware of the problem and how to sort it.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Id agree - the earth strap that goes on to the top of the gearbox breaks up inside the outer plastic sheath. Causes an intermittent fault where the car will start and immediately cut out. Very easy to check. Get someone to wiggle the earth strap while you try to start it. It will be quite obvious if it doesnt start.

Its either something like the above or the only other time Ive seen it is with thetiming chain stretched causing the engine timing to be off a bit. Same symptoms.
    Noted! I'll have some time to have a look at it tomorrow, I will follow up here

My sisters O7 had a similar issue. Car would crank at first, but not start. Then wouldn't crank at all.

Spanner symbol showing on the dash. Battery symbol too I think. Nothing untoward on a basic OBD scanner - that is to say no engine faults.

Symptoms of dying battery. Tested it, charged it, checked cables, swapped it, checked starter wiring, earths, usual debug. It's usually the simple stuff, right?

It turns out it was the immobiliser which had to be reprogrammed. There's an issue with that model, up to at least 07, but has been fixed since, whereby a voltage or current spike (caused by low voltage) can wipe the immobiliser memory. Guy who came out to fix it was well aware of the problem and how to sort it.
    It is an aftermarket one on this, so I'm hoping I can disable it, i have a code for the system, hopefully i can do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

This happens the corsa D when the battery is allowed to go very low. Body control module needs to be reset and reprogrammed.

It wont be intermittent like the OP where it cut out, then ran fine, then cut out again.

If the bcm gets corrupted it wont start again until it is reprogrammed. Ive done plently of them.

Advertisement