Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic versus manual - fuel economy

• 23-12-2020 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

I’ve a 2008 Audi, automatic, 2 litre diesel.

Full service done on it during the summer including gearbox oil change.

Usually when I fill up it comes up on the screen around 600km for the tank. Sometimes a little under or over.

My old 2007 A4 manual used to get 800-900km showing on a full tank.

I’ve heard manual A6’s around 2008 get 900-1000km showing on a full tank.

Are the older autos harder on juice than the manuals?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭walshtipp

chops018 wrote: »

Usually when I fill up it comes up on the screen around 600km for the tank. Sometimes a little under or over.

Yes, older automatic cars are harder on fuel. But nowadays it's often the auto version that gets the better fuel economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What size tank do you have and what distance can you get from a full tank?
    Don't mind what the computer shows when you fill it up, thats an estimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think your method of comparing fuel economy between different cars needs to be a bit more refined. Measuring fuel economy via range from the onboard computer is never accurate.

Also are you comparing like for like? A 2007 Audi A4 would be the old model whereas the 2008 might be the newer model. The newer model is bigger and heavier than the old model too and both might have different sized fuel tanks. Was the 2007 1.9 TDi or 2.0 TDi as the newer model has a totally different 2.0 TDi engine to the older model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There might be just a smaller tank...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I am testing it properly now. Set the odometer thing back to 0 when I filled up. Half a tank gone and I’m on about 300km. So on track for around 600km. Maybe a bit more if I literally drove it into the reserve until it went no more, but I don’t like doing that, always fill up once the light comes on. So computer seems to be about right. Cost €72 to fill it to the brim from nearly empty.

The 2007 A4 was 2.0 TDI. This 2008 A6 is 2.0 TDI too. But automatic. The A4 definitely seemed more fuel efficient (and faster). Although the A4 was around €10 less to fill up if I remember correctly, that was only a few months ago as I’ve the A6 since the summer.

However, the A6 is much nicer the drive, the steering is lovely and I’m liking the automatic too! So I don’t mind the extra few quid on fuel. I was just wondering are older automatics a bit harder on fuel than their manual counterparts (or near enough) as I did hear the newer ones are better on fuel.

• Advertisement

I am testing it properly now. Set the odometer thing back to 0 when I filled up. Half a tank gone and I’m on about 300km. So on track for around 600km. Maybe a bit more if I literally drove it into the reserve until it went no more, but I don’t like doing that, always fill up once the light comes on. So computer seems to be about right. Cost €72 to fill it to the brim from nearly empty.

The 2007 A4 was 2.0 TDI. This 2008 A6 is 2.0 TDI too. But automatic. The A4 definitely seemed more fuel efficient (and faster). Although the A4 was around €10 less to fill up if I remember correctly, that was only a few months ago as I’ve the A6 since the summer.

However, the A6 is much nicer the drive, the steering is lovely and I’m liking the automatic too! So I don’t mind the extra few quid on fuel. I was just wondering are older automatics a bit harder on fuel than their manual counterparts (or near enough) as I did hear the newer ones are better on fuel.

I've a 2014 A6 auto with a 65 litre fuel tank. When I fill it is usually shows around 900kms. I've my fuel calculated at about 7 litres per 100kms over the 3 years I've had it so that 900km is pretty accurate to a tank.

I think a 2008 with same size engine and same size car should be doing better than 600kms. At 72 euro for a fill you have a 65 litre fuel tank too I would imagine.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I've a 2014 A6 auto with a 65 litre fuel tank. When I fill it is usually shows around 900kms. I've my fuel calculated at about 7 litres per 100kms over the 3 years I've had it so that 900km is pretty accurate to a tank.

I think a 2008 with same size engine and same size car should be doing better than 600kms. At 72 euro for a fill you have a 65 litre fuel tank too I would imagine.

I thought it should be doing a bit better too. I don’t expect same efficiency as newer cars. But definitely thought a bit better than I’m currently getting. Anything that can be done?

I thought it should be doing a bit better too. I don’t expect same efficiency as newer cars. But definitely thought a bit better than I’m currently getting. Anything that can be done?

I wouldn't expect a huge difference between your 08 and my 14.
    I was getting around 600kms out of my petrol 2.5 bmw before moving to diesels and that was an 06. Although it was a 70 or 75 litre tank.

Are you doing mainly short runs with plenty of stops and starts? If I hit traffic with cold engine in commute my consumption soars too. Luckily I don't too often.
    Id get a proper figure of what you are getting over a full tank or 2 and take note of type of driving before deciding theres a problem.

Also, take it for a spin resetting trip computer beforehand and see what it shows (although I don't fully trust trip computers in any cars)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is this the car with all the gearbox and other issues before, am I thinking of the right person?

I wouldn't expect a huge difference between your 08 and my 14.
    I was getting around 600kms out of my petrol 2.5 bmw before moving to diesels and that was an 06. Although it was a 70 or 75 litre tank.

Are you doing mainly short runs with plenty of stops and starts? If I hit traffic with cold engine in commute my consumption soars too. Luckily I don't too often.
    Id get a proper figure of what you are getting over a full tank or 2 and take note of type of driving before deciding theres a problem.

Also, take it for a spin resetting trip computer beforehand and see what it shows (although I don't fully trust trip computers in any cars)

I’d do 250-300km a week I think! So not massive mileage. Maybe I’d get more if it was longer trips alright.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is this the car with all the gearbox and other issues before, am I thinking of the right person?

Yes. That’s me. But the car is driving very well since that thread. No issues since. Bar the fuel economy just doesn’t seem quite as good as my previous car. Why, would there be something else going on do you think? The car does seem to be running very well now.

• Advertisement

It’s a bigger heavier car with a CVT gearbox.

That said, I would have expected more than 600km to a tank. The brother had a manual B8 A4 and I think it was doing more than 1000km to a tank.

Ok. Thanks all. Yeah, I thought the same myself, in that I should be getting more than 600km. Granted, I’m probably not doing massive mileage for a diesel and it is a big heavy car and old auto so maybe that’s it.

In saying that, it is driving great since I got all the work done as mentioned in my previous thread from the summer. There’s been no issues with it since then and it’s such a lovely and pleasurable car to drive. It does seem slightly underpowered though. That would be my only complaint.

The fuel tank odometer did used to show over 700km’s a couple of months ago when I’d fill up. So it’s odd. I usually fill up once every 2 weeks and that does me.

Suppose it’s just the way the car is economy wise?

My last car did have a full service history. This doesn’t. Wonder would that affect it. If so, goes to show the importance of ensuring a car is properly maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I would have expected more than 600km to a tank. The brother had a manual B8 A4 and I think it was doing more than 1000km to a tank.
    Yes, 600km on a diesel seems low. I've a 2015 A4 1.8 petrol and I'm getting 700-800kms per tank for mixed driving (not sure what size the tank is - 50L?)

I did a quick google (I know it can’t be relied on) but results did show that, while I’m probably on the lower side of fur economy for this particular car, I’m not massively far off what I should expect for the driving I do. However, I definitely should be getting more than 600kms a tank. As I said I’m testing it now as I put the trip odometer back to 0 when I filled up last week so I’ll report back. But it probably wasn’t the best time to do it as I’m off work now for 2 weeks so it’s not going to be getting the “usual” journeys. As I said, lovely car to drive, so an extra tenner a week on diesel doesn’t bother me that much, just that it’s definitely not as economical as previous diesels I’ve had (Audi A4, BMW 320D x 2 to name a few).

According to google an ECU reset might help. I’m not a mechanic, so would any of yee on here have any opinion on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My 2010 3 litre diesel does about 750/800km to a tank so there's definitely something up there I'd think.

Took it out there for a spin.

Showing 240km left in the tank (I know that’s an estimate) and the trip odometer has done 324km’s since I filled up.

The needle is at half way for the fuel gauge.

That’s not great. Anyone any ideas as the car is running great and no leaks under it or anything after being parked up. Full service in the summer and gearbox oil change.

It was actually scanned a few weeks ago too. No faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Took it out there for a spin.

Showing 240km left in the tank (I know that’s an estimate) and the trip odometer has done 324km’s since I filled up.

The needle is at half way for the fuel gauge.

That’s not great. Anyone any ideas as the car is running great and no leaks under it or anything after being parked up. Full service in the summer and gearbox oil change.

It was actually scanned a few weeks ago too. No faults.

Have you checked your tyre pressure, checked for sticking calipers or worn bearings? Do you have the correct size tyres?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Have you checked your tyre pressure, checked for sticking calipers or worn bearings? Do you have the correct size tyres?

All fine. 4 new tyres put on in early November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'll be shot for this.. but have you tried using a strong injector cleaner for a few tanks.

Something like BG 244 or Archoil AR6400-D

Maybe your injectors aren't giving a proper spray pattern, and as a result you're getting poor mpg.

I've a 520d BMW and I'm getting 1200km with a 70L tank.

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »
    I'll be shot for this.. but have you tried using a strong injector cleaner for a few tanks.

Something like BG 244 or Archoil AR6400-D

Maybe your injectors aren't giving a proper spray pattern, and as a result you're getting poor mpg.

I've a 520d BMW and I'm getting 1200km with a 70L tank.

I might try that. Thanks. As I said, the car is driving absolute great in my opinion. So not sure why fuel economy is being crap.

I actually might get it through the NCT in the New Year and see if I can trade it in or a BMW 520D. Is yours automatic or manual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I might try that. Thanks. As I said, the car is driving absolute great in my opinion. So not sure why fuel economy is being crap.

I actually might get it through the NCT in the New Year and see if I can trade it in or a BMW 520D. Is yours automatic or manual?

8 speed Auto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭CoBo55

There is a diesel additive sold by VW/Skoda it's aimed towards the dieselgate engines but I couldn't see it doing any harm tbh. I haven't used it myself but the general consensus is that you need to use it twice in consecutive tanks to see the difference, it's supposed to be noticeable. Skodaparts sell it, they're based in Sligo, very good company to deal with, I've gotten a few thing from them. 600km is very low even for a CVT type gearbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

It’s a bigger heavier car with a CVT gearbox.

That said, I would have expected more than 600km to a tank. The brother had a manual B8 A4 and I think it was doing more than 1000km to a tank.

Driving styles also influenced the mpg etc big time, also the weather this time of the year, heaters on etc, lights on longer all affect fuel economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Hard to believe my a6 02 avant is getting 1200/1300 kms a tank of diesel. 70 litre tank
    Give me the older ponies anyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Is tank a unit of measurement now? :pac:

Is tank a unit of measurement now? :pac:

Only if you know the size of the tank it is. Unfortunately many don't and use 'to the tank' as a Guage of fuel economy.
    Tanks being between 40 and 80 litres in many well known cars on sale today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I had a 2009 2.0TDi A6 manual fron new, for 10 years. It regularly showed 1100km+ on a fill. According to the onboard computer it averaged 48mpg over the time I had it. This tied in with proper testing I did on it some times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If your A6 is a Multitronic then its going to be worse than either the older Tiptronic or newer S-Tronic gearboxes. Its just the waybitvis : the Multitronic CVT never lived up to the expectations, either in terms of economy or reliability.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Old Autos used to be quite thirsty but the modern ones have actually been known to show a slight gain over a manual because you are in the optimum gear all the time

galwaytt wrote: »
    If your A6 is a Multitronic then its going to be worse than either the older Tiptronic or newer S-Tronic gearboxes. Its just the waybitvis : the Multitronic CVT never lived up to the expectations, either in terms of economy or reliability.

Yeah it's multitronic alright. Thing is, couple of months ago when I'd fill up the computer would usually come up at somewhere between 700 and 750 kms. I was happy enough with that as my old A4 manual was 800 to 900 kms. I thought as the A6 is a bigger heavier car and fuel did go up a couple of cent so the fuel economy wasn't gonna be as good. But now it's down to 600 kms so that's not great.

I would be heavy enough on the pedal though and lately it's only been getting short journeys, plus colder weather and heaters blasting alongside using the lighter port for Bluetooth a lot lately. Wonder would all that make a difference.

Yeah it's multitronic alright. Thing is, couple of months ago when I'd fill up the computer would usually come up at somewhere between 700 and 750 kms. I was happy enough with that as my old A4 manual was 800 to 900 kms. I thought bigger heavier car and fuel did go up a couple of cent so the fuel economy wasn't gonna be as good. But now it's down to 600 kms so that's not great.

I would be heavy enough on the pedal though and lately it's only been getting short journeys, plus colder weather and heaters blasting alongside using the lighter port for Bluetooth a lot lately. Wonder would all that make a difference.

I'd find I definitely use more diesel in the winter. I'd say the computer is just guessing what you'll get going on the previous tank. I don't put much faith in the on board computer tbh. I'll always crack the 1000km from the full tank, capacity is 66 litres, I normally fill when the light comes on so it usually takes between 60 and 64 litres to fill. Best I ever saw was 1400km on a trip around Kerry.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'd find I definitely use more diesel in the winter. I'd say the computer is just guessing what you'll get going on the previous tank. I don't put much faith in the on board computer tbh. I'll always crack the 1000km from the full tank, capacity is 66 litres, I normally fill when the light comes on so it usually takes between 60 and 64 litres to fill. Best I ever saw was 1400km on a trip around Kerry.

I'm the same, once the light comes on that fuel is low I fill it up. How much is usually left once that light comes on?

Also, when I fill it up once the pump stops I usually stop filling there, but the tank can usually take a few more euro, so might be a few more kms there.

Since I filled it up last I've been tracking the kms. On just about 400kms now, computer is saying there's around 190km left. Gonna drive it on a small bit for after the light comes on this time.

Important bit is how much fuel it takes to refill it vs what Kms you did.

Important bit is how much fuel it takes to refill it vs what Kms you did.

What do you mean? So check cost of refill. Then check kms I did from where I set the trip odometer back to zero?

(Sorry for my ignorance btw!)

• Advertisement

I'm the same, once the light comes on that fuel is low I fill it up. How much is usually left once that light comes on?

Also, when I fill it up once the pump stops I usually stop filling there, but the tank can usually take a few more euro, so might be a few more kms there.

Since I filled it up last I've been tracking the kms. On just about 400kms now, computer is saying there's around 190km left. Gonna drive it on a small bit for after the light comes on this time.

According to my manual there's 7 litres left when the light comes on. They're very poor figures, I'd try the diesel additive. Unfortunately I think you're stuck with a thirsty beast. Any idea what the official figure should be?
    Let us know what km's you have on the trip and how many litres it took to fill. I top mine off when it clicks, it usually takes about another €2.

What do you mean? So check cost of refill. Then check kms I did from where I set the trip odometer back to zero?

(Sorry for my ignorance btw!)

Fill it up, note the mileage or reset the trip meter.

Drive

Fill it up again, note the mileage or the trip meter, and the fuel quantity

Calculate consumption based on mileage done vs fuel actually used

I just filled up my 2014 A6 OP. See attachment. Its showing 860kms and thats based on recent driving, not sure how its calculated or how far back it takes into account. That's actually the lowest figure I have seen after a fill of diesel but I'm using less than a 65 litre tank a month these last 2 or 3 months so I'd say its basing it on the short trips with cold engine I've been doing. As you can see its 4.5 degrees according to the car and even has the cold weather warning on the dash.

For what it's worth I did a decent motorway spin and some mixed driving today and trip computer was showing 6.5 litres per 100kms which would equate to exactly 1000kms to a 65 litre tank if I repeated that type of driving. I wasn't particularly trying to be fuel efficient either. I have got is as low as 5.5 litres per 100kms before by deliberately driving economically and that would give me a theoretical range of 1200km, but I know I'll never do that over a full tank I'd drive myself nuts.

Assuming your tank is more or less same size which I expect it would be, as the A6 was always designed to be a long distance cruiser, your 600kms is looking very poor and might indicate a problem

Edit...yes I think tanks are the same size. Reread some earlier posts and you put 72 euro into yours, that's exactly what it took to fill mine today too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

cold weather + short runs + diesel engine + automatic gearbox(except single/dual clutch boxes) = 25-30% more fuel consumption in any car.

My automatic diesel optima was averaging 6-6.2 lt/100 km(~1100 km range) when I was commuting 40 km each way. Now scenario above makes the consumption 8-9 lt/100 km(~750 km range) for same car.

I just filled up my 2014 A6 OP. See attachment. Its showing 860kms and thats based on recent driving, not sure how its calculated or how far back it takes into account. That's actually the lowest figure I have seen after a fill of diesel but I'm using less than a 65 litre tank a month these last 2 or 3 months so I'd say its basing it on the short trips with cold engine I've been doing. As you can see its 4.5 degrees according to the car and even has the cold weather warning on the dash.

For what it's worth I did a decent motorway spin and some mixed driving today and trip computer was showing 6.5 litres per 100kms which would equate to exactly 1000kms to a 65 litre tank if I repeated that type of driving. I wasn't particularly trying to be fuel efficient either. I have got is as low as 5.5 litres per 100kms before by deliberately driving economically and that would give me a theoretical range of 1200km, but I know I'll never do that over a full tank I'd drive myself nuts.

Assuming your tank is more or less same size which I expect it would be, as the A6 was always designed to be a long distance cruiser, your 600kms is looking very poor and might indicate a problem

Edit...yes I think tanks are the same size. Reread some earlier posts and you put 72 euro into yours, that's exactly what it took to fill mine today too.

How much per litre or how many litres did it take?

• Advertisement

How much per litre or how many litres did it take?

Took 60 litres @ 1.20 per litre.

Took 60 litres @ 1.20 per litre.

7.3/100 or 38.7 mpg, wouldn't be great, it's what I was getting from my 1 litre dsg petrol Octavia. Maybe that's its best mpg for the size of car/ time of year.
    Try a couple of bottles of this: https://www.skodapartsireland.ie/product/volkswagen-group-fuel-additive
    it might help.

7.3/100 or 38.7 mpg, wouldn't be great, it's what I was getting from my 1 litre dsg petrol Octavia. Maybe that's its best mpg for the size of car/ time of year.
    Try a couple of bottles of this: https://www.skodapartsireland.ie/product/volkswagen-group-fuel-additive
    it might help.

Its the OP having high fuel consumption, not me. I'm happy with mine. Somewhere between 40 and 45 mixed I'm getting. Bit lower now maybe because of short trips and cold engine but I'm grand with it.
    To be honest if a 2 litre 190bhp diesel in something the size of an a6 is matching a 1 litre Octavia even if its a petrol I can live with that.

Fill it up, note the mileage or reset the trip meter.

Drive

Fill it up again, note the mileage or the trip meter, and the fuel quantity

Calculate consumption based on mileage done vs fuel actually used

I’ve been doing that. Reset the trip meter after filling up last time. Took about €72 to fill it up. So guessing 65 litre tank as others have said.

Today it’s at 530kms. With it reading as having about 70km left before empty. So it looks like it’s getting 600kms.

Ok. So I drove it on this evening till the fuel monitor said 20kms left. The trip meter was at 548km when I was going to fill up. Filled it up till I heard the click. €75, 63 litres, is what it took. Fuel monitor upon restart was at 700kms to empty. However, I drove it on for a few kms and it then went down to 590km to empty. Very odd.

There's a small dealer near me. They get in BMW's from BMW garages. He's a lovely 2008, 320d, 140,000 miles, 177bhp (I think that's what he said). He hasn't an ad up for it yet as he's putting it through NCT in next couple of weeks. There's a speed sensor gone, he connected it to an obd and showed me. Also, had a quick spin in it then and I was very impressed. However, I wanna go out tomorrow during the day and look at it. He said with the NCT on it will be €2600. He won't put up the ad if I give him deposit tomorrow and collect it in a couple of weeks when it's NCT'd. Do you think that is a good deal? Are the cars farmed out by main dealers to smaller dealers ok? The tax at only €280 a year is appealing too. My own is €710.

Annoying thing is they don't take trade in's at all. So I'd have hassle of selling mine. Surely I'd get €2000-2500 for my own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Ok. So I drove it on this evening till the fuel monitor said 20kms left. The trip meter was at 548km when I was going to fill up. Filled it up till I heard the click. €75, 63 litres, is what it took. Fuel monitor upon restart was at 700kms to empty. However, I drove it on for a few kms and it then went down to 590km to empty. Very odd.

There's a small dealer near me. They get in BMW's from BMW garages. He's a lovely 2008, 320d, 140,000 miles, 177bhp (I think that's what he said). He hasn't an ad up for it yet as he's putting it through NCT in next couple of weeks. There's a speed sensor gone, he connected it to an obd and showed me. Also, had a quick spin in it then and I was very impressed. However, I wanna go out tomorrow during the day and look at it. He said with the NCT on it will be €2600. He won't put up the ad if I give him deposit tomorrow and collect it in a couple of weeks when it's NCT'd. Do you think that is a good deal? Are the cars farmed out by main dealers to smaller dealers ok? The tax at only €280 a year is appealing too. My own is €710.

Annoying thing is they don't take trade in's at all. So I'd have hassle of selling mine. Surely I'd get €2000-2500 for my own?

548 km/65 lt = 11.5 lt/100 km. It is too much even for short trips imho. Unless longest trip in 548 km was 5km, it sounds like car has an issue causing excessive fuel consumption.

Have you checked previous poster's potential issues ? Low tyre pressure, sticky calipers, dirty air filter, faulty thermostats, etc

kerten wrote: »
    548 km/65 lt = 11.5 lt/100 km. It is too much even for short trips imho. Unless longest trip in 548 km was 5km, it sounds like car has an issue causing excessive fuel consumption.

Have you checked previous poster's potential issues ? Low tyre pressure, sticky calipers, dirty air filter, faulty thermostats, etc

Agree car has an issue. My petrol bmw with 2.5 and 3.0 6 cylinder petrol were getting about the same consumption. 11.5 is about 25mpg.

Even now my 141 A6 which is the successor to OPs car shows average consumption of no higher than 9 l per 100km after first 2 km or so on a cold engine. I've never actually seen higher than 9 showing. Will drop into the 7s after 5km or so by end of my commute and into the 6s if its on an open road. Into the 5s if I really really try.

kerten wrote: »

Tyre pressure is fine. All at 32 psi. I'm not sure about the calipers. I did get a new rear right caliper in the summer as my mechanic saw one was sticking and it was wrecked. Air filter 'should' be fine as a full service was done in the summer. Not sure if thermostats are faulty, the temp gauge on the dash is always fine.

I remember your description of how the car drives at higher speeds, I would say you have a gearbox or engine fault still.

I remember your description of how the car drives at higher speeds, I would say you have a gearbox or engine fault still.

Nothing showing on a scan though. And overall driving ok. Could there still be some fault but just not showing up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement