Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one would you pick?

Options
  • 12-07-2020 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭

If they cant get a vaccine for covid=19. And we were given 2 options.

option 1, allow foreign tourists and people coming in from other countries into Ireland, also we are allowed foreign travel. but you will have sporadic lockdowns, constant social distancing etc for the next 5 years.

option 2, ban all foreign travel and anyone coming into the country from other countries. result being no lockdowns, no restrictions. this ban will last minimum 5 years.

obviously northern Ireland will be on board with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Option two, obviously :D
    The ideal Ireland that we would have, the Ireland that we dreamed of, would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as a basis for right living, of a people who, satisfied with frugal comfort, devoted their leisure to the things of the spirit –

Option 2. Ask the Kiwis if they regret their border-lockdown, with no Covid in the country, except in inward-quarantine facilities. Their life has returned to normal, with no social distancing or disruption, and they're all holidaying at home. Even with their reliance on tourism, there's next-to-no demand for their borders to open.

That's a sensible approach. We're bringing in tourists from Texas, a Covid hotspot, at a time when social distancing seems to have gone out the window. What do you think is going to happen next?

The five-year thing seems like an exaggeration. The Kiwis are already near to agreeing a deal with Fiji and most of Australia to open a travel bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

pgj2015 wrote: »
    If they cant get a vaccine for covid=19. And we were given 2 options.

option 1, allow foreign tourists and people coming in from other countries into Ireland, also we are allowed foreign travel. but you will have sporadic lockdowns, constant social distancing etc for the next 5 years.

option 2, ban all foreign travel and anyone coming into the country from other countries. result being no lockdowns, no restrictions. this ban will last minimum 5 years.

obviously northern Ireland will be on board with this.

Surely if you can get a vaccine there is no need for either option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Is waiting for this bullsh*t to end an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I said if they cant get a vaccine. for at least a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Problem is every whole blessed fooker with a suit and tie and a fat belly is saying they can make a vaccine and collecting a few 100m in grant money that will be spent on posh dinners in the Ritz and no vaccine to show for it

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I said if they cant get a vaccine. for at least a few years.

my bad

Option number two by a distance, don't tell that to the fanatics who whine about their children's futures being destroyed if they can't have their lickle holiday abroad this summer. Here's another one, why do we need to carelessly import fresh Covid-19 clusters into an island? We're ahead of the game right now, let's attempt to stay there.

Problem is every whole blessed fooker with a suit and tie and a fat belly is saying they can make a vaccine and collecting a few 100m in grant money that will be spent on posh dinners in the Ritz and no vaccine to show for it

I worry that he Yanks will come up with it first, big pharma is a disease in and of itself but the Americans will monetize the fcuk out of it and make everybody pay through the nose for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

The second one I like to see but it won't happen. I think we're heading for herd option, especially when we're letting flights in from the states, in particularly texas were covid is suppose to be rampant. I no lover of leo varadkar government but I thought they done well getting the numbers down in regards to covid. In regards to michael martin I sense impending doom in regards to covid-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Kylta wrote: »
    The second one I like to see but it won't happen. I think we're heading for herd option, especially when we're letting flights in from the states, in particularly texas were covid is suppose to be rampant. I no lover of leo varadkar government but I thought they done well getting the numbers down in regards to covid. In regards to michael martin I sense impending doom in regards to covid-19.

I agree, not just regarding covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I worry that he Yanks will come up with it first, big pharma is a disease in and of itself but the Americans will monetize the fcuk out of it and make everybody pay through the nose for it!

Still ever so slightly better than the Chinese coming up with it, they already made enough money from dodgy PPE

Still ever so slightly better than the Chinese coming up with it, they already made enough money from dodgy PPE

I disagree, I think the americans are too greedy and corporately governed to do the morally right thing. However the Chinese would, not because it would be the moral thing to do, but because it would be a big F.U. to the states and give them a lot of high ground to snipe from not to mention most western governments would be afraid to make a peep about Hong Kong!

Advertisement