Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toast pre-buttered?

• 07-07-2020 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Hello. This may not be a concern in corona times but the last meal I had out before lockdown, was a fry up. I met a friend for it. Anyways the fry comes down, looks lovely, some cokes and two cups of tea. But the toast came down pre-buttered and pre-cut. I wasn't too upset about the cut (triangle) but my friend was put out as he likes a rectangular cut in order to make better smaller snadwiches using the fry contents. We were united in our shock about the pre-buttered toast though.

I really hope this was a one off and that it's not going to be some new fad that sweeps the nation. Anyone have any experiences with this or thoughts on the matter? What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hello. This may not be a concern in corona times but the last meal I had out before lockdown, was a fry up. I met a friend for it. Anyways the fry comes down, looks lovely, some cokes and two cups of tea. But the toast came down pre-buttered and pre-cut. I wasn't too upset about the cut (triangle) but my friend was put out as he likes a rectangular cut in order to make better smaller snadwiches using the fry contents. We were united in our shock about the pre-buttered toast though.

I really hope this was a one off and that it's not going to be some new fad that sweeps the nation. Anyone have any experiences with this or thoughts on the matter? What would you do?

This happened me in England last year.
    Soggy, buttered toast. WTF?

Coke with a fry?... Jesus..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

This happened me in England last year.
    Soggy, buttered toast. WTF?

Sorry to hear that. You have to wonder of the mindset behind it. It costs the business time to have people buttering the toast, the customers are raging and I imagine there are probably some people who don't want butter at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well I have to say, while I wouldn't go so far as to insist on fresh, unbuttered toast, I wouldn't be happy with this sort of fiasco and would mention it to them on leaving that I would prefer to butter my own toast. I'd also point out that if this is some clever-clogs stunt to save butter, I wouldn't be going back there again.

I am prepared to overlook this on this occasion as we have been presented with a very serious matter to deal with. Now let us never speak of it again! :pac:

• Advertisement

Maybe the pubs in mayo are just really fancy?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They are probably not using real butter :mad:

jester77 wrote: »

Well that's the end of that, then. Animals! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Coke with a fry sounds good. Cut through the grease a bit and, depending on the size of the fry, give you a sugar boost to get through it.

Pre cut toast i can handle. Wouldnt be mad on pre buttered toast.

I didn't realise coke was controversial. Not unusual in my experience to see people have a mineral with theirs. Bit of fizz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Toast always comes nearly always pre buttered in cafes in the UK. Especially of the greasy spoon variety

For me, i wouldnt have coke for breakfast - and breakfast is when id have a fry so....

Mid morning fry up or lunch fry, yeah i can see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anyone else read the thread title and expect the bread to be buttered before it was toasted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah fairly standard over here I noticed. Once the bread is actually toasted and it's proper butter I don't really mind. It saves faffing about with those little rock solid butter portion thingies (I normally stick them under the toast to soften a little but it's still faff). I imagine it saves the company quite a bit in just having bulk butter and not those little foil wrapped portions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

GreeBo wrote: »
    Anyone else read the thread title and expect the bread to be buttered before it was toasted?

i'm glad i'm not alone in thinking that.

jester77 wrote: »

In fairness, although not extensively tested I might add, any I've been to have had proper (pre)butter

i'm glad i'm not alone in thinking that.

It wouldnt be the toast that is pre buttered in that instance - it would be the untoasted bread.

GreeBo wrote: »

Yes, which I can admit to having experimented with

The real crime.

Baggly wrote: »
    It wouldnt be the toast that is pre buttered in that instance - it would be the untoasted bread.

philosophically the bread is toast once the decision to make toast is made.

• Advertisement

philosophically the bread is toast once the decision to make toast is made.

Go away out of that.

So i decide to make some toast.

Get the bread.

My kid grabs the bread before i get a chance to toast it.

What is my kid eating?

Bread. Not toast.

But, is water rain while still in the clouds?

Its water vapour.

Go away out of that.

Get the bread.

What is my kid eating?

Bread. Not toast.

Raw toast

Go away out of that.

Get the bread.

What is my kid eating?

Bread. Not toast.

bread that has been denied its true purpose and we should mourn it.

Raw toast
    bread that has been denied its true purpose and we should mourn it.

*bows head in mourning*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Here in Galway there used to be a place in Salthill to go for a big, reasonably priced breakfast. My husband loved it, they buttered your toast for you. It's since closed down and no place, in his mind, has ever come close to it. I'd rather bread myself, and to butter it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

I think i know how to solve this, before the garcon comes, just ask him not to butter your toast.

I think i know how to solve this, before the garcon comes, just ask him not to butter your toast.

Not in a million years would I ever have thought that to be necessary. I suppose I'll need to ask them not to cut up my sausage for me, or to add milk to my tea... Madness, the state of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Not in a million years would I ever have thought that to be necessary. I suppose I'll need to ask them not to cut up my sausage for me, or to add milk to my tea... Madness, the state of the world.

Back in the wild long ago when I used to eat meat I left home and took up residence in a room in Ranelagh in the house of an old woman who took in lady students of good manners. Every morning she would present me with prebuttered toast and a single sausage that she had quartered ....lengthways! This was the biggest shock I encountered between leaving my hamlet and adjusting to big city life. Well that, and the fact that she rummaged daily through my knicker drawers in search of what I can only presume to be hasheesh. Strange times.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Back in the wild long ago when I used to eat meat I left home and took up residence in a room in Ranelagh in the house of an old woman who took in lady students of good manners. Every morning she would present me with prebuttered toast and a single sausage that she had quartered ....lengthways! This was the biggest shock I encountered between leaving my hamlet and adjusting to big city life. Well that, and the fact that she rummaged daily through my knicker drawers in search of what I can only presume to be hasheesh. Strange times.

Ranelagh, you say? She was definitely a witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

Was this in Cork? There is a place in Cork that does this and it drives me bizerk.

CucamarMor wrote: »
    Was this in Cork? There is a place in Cork that does this and it drives me bizerk.

No. I'm sad to hear that.

I do remember once having a fry-up in West Cork and you got onion rings with it. Very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I didn't realise coke was controversial. Not unusual in my experience to see people have a mineral with theirs. Bit of fizz!

We do it, but we don’t talk about it. Probably best drop it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Where's that?
    Need to know so as to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

Where's that?
    Need to know so as to avoid.

Nash19. The toast is good and very buttery mind you, but i find it altogether weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Ever try toast with butter on both sides. Its a completely different experience.

Bizerk. Bizarre and berserk! You sir/madam have astonished me. Your good deed for today. I thought this was a new invention but apparently this word has been around for some years! It deserves more usage.

lickalot wrote: »
    Ever try toast with butter on both sides. Its a completely different experience.

Sounds like you'd have to lick a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Raw toast

Dough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

If I was presented with pre buttered toast I would presume the management had no clue how to run a cafe and never set foot in the place again. Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes if that's how they run their establishment.

Thinking about this further..

The speed with which the butter is put on toast out of the toaster is fairly important too, so maybe that's the rationale behind it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Allinall

If I was presented with pre buttered toast I would presume the management had no clue how to run a cafe and never set foot in the place again. Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes if that's how they run their establishment.

+1.

Went to a local café for breakfast at the weekend. Was really looking forward to the experience after the lockdown.

Not only was the toast buttered, but they had the sausages cooked, the egg fried and the coffee came already poured into the mug.

Never again.

Allinall wrote: »
    +1.

Went to a local café for breakfast at the weekend. Was really looking forward to the experience after the lockdown.

Not only was the toast buttered, but they had the sausages cooked, the egg fried and the coffee came already poured into the mug.

Never again.

That is not the same thing at all. It would be equivalent to the coffee arriving with milk in it. It is simply not the done thing in a clivilised establishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Allinall

jimgoose wrote: »
    That is not the same thing at all. It would be equivalent to the coffee arriving with milk in it. It is simply not the done thing in a clivilised establishment.

Ok. I never really go to civilised establishments.

Exactly!! What else are they buttering behind closed doors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'd prefer pre-buttered toast than getting the basket of toast down that would require 8-10 pieces of butter, but only 3 in the fecking thing :)

As for buttered bread being toasted! Animals!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It is nice to be able to decide for yourself what you want to do with the toast rather than having it pre-determined for you. I know cafes are different but it tends not to be an issue in hotels these days as you put the bread into the big toaster machines yourself and take away the toast yourself!

Where the toast is done for you, the normal situation outside of hotels, my only problem with unbuttered toast is if it is brought to you when it is no longer hot and you miss that lovely taste of the melted butter!

I have never really given the matter serious consideration before but, on balance, please leave the decision with the customer. Give them a choice at least.

...it tends not to be an issue in hotels these days as you put the bread into the big toaster machines yourself and take away the toast yourself!...

I dislike those things, I find it difficult to get nice, properly-done toast out of them. Especially since there's usually a couple of other goofs standing around waiting for you to finish, with their bloody bread in-hand. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

pre buttered toast is an abomination .

I will put butter on toast or bread if eating it on its own but as I am often planning to make a bacon butty with the toast and I do not eat butter on either bread or toast when in a sandwich form.
    I would have sent it back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement