Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an apartment in Beacon, Sandyford

Options
  • 05-05-2020 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,
    I am actually planning to buy an apartment in Beacon, Sandyford. I heard there are fire safety and water ingress issues in the Beacon apartments. When I checked with the selling agent about these issues, I was told that everything has been fixed by the owner and there is nothing to worry about.
    I am a first time buyer and I'm gonna put all my savings on purchasing this apartment. So I want to be sure that this a good buy. Could anyone please suggest me the checks and validations I need to do from my side before purchasing the apartment. I am very new to the property market and my knowledge is limited in this area, so any suggestions and tips would be really helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

There's multiple recent threads on this already if you do a search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

If you go ahead, make sure your solicitor is made aware and question it heavily. I get that unless they’ve been living under a rock the 10 years, they probably would raise it themselves but you just need to be careful.

The management company would have had to agree the owners repairs which is unlikely in a development that size so be very careful. Our development is going through the same issues and although we’ve not agreed the costs, we know it’ll be invasive and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I can't advise on the legal aspect, but from living there for 5 years there are 2 things I would warn anyone looking there against:

(1) Noise. If your apartment faces the courtyard, be prepared for lots of noise (which echoes very loudly in the enclosed courtyard) at all times. In particular, Friday and Saturday nights when drunk people are coming home and shouting/singing. This problem seemed to get worse. In particular people having conversations on their balcony in the early hours of the morning, or having parties with their windows open out into the courtyard. Not a unique problem to the Beacon, probably happens everywhere, but was a huge frustration for us.

(2) The elevators break down. A lot.

If you can put up with these, it's a great place to live in terms of location. Luas on your doorstep, 11 bus right outside the concierge etc.

As an aside, it's well known as a hotbed for a certain type of activity. Was never a problem for us, actually found it quite funny whenever "clients" got nervous in the elevator with you or when trying to be buzzed in at the doors. Can spot them a mile away! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

prad wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am actually planning to buy an apartment in Beacon, Sandyford. I heard there are fire safety and water ingress issues in the Beacon apartments. When I checked with the selling agent about these issues, I was told that everything has been fixed by the owner and there is nothing to worry about.
    I am a first time buyer and I'm gonna put all my savings on purchasing this apartment. So I want to be sure that this a good buy. Could anyone please suggest me the checks and validations I need to do from my side before purchasing the apartment. I am very new to the property market and my knowledge is limited in this area, so any suggestions and tips would be really helpful. Thanks.

Never, ever trust the agent. They’re do not have your interests at heart.

If you want advice - get a survey from a chartered surveyor. If you’re getting a mortgage the bank will insist as it’s there collateral.

If you want advice - get a solicitor. You need one anyway for conveyancing. If you’re not getting a mortgage they can advise on your deeds, your will and what checks need to be done.

Otherwise, google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

karlitob wrote:
    Never, ever trust the agent. They’re do not have your interests at heart.

Sound advice. They'd tell you any bull to get a sale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement