Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young healthy people obsessively worrying about the Corona virus

Options
  • 13-07-2020 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I see a lot of people worrying too much about catching it, I'm personally not worried at all and barely even think about it.

There's far bigger things to worry about than this, maybe when I'm 90 and can barely lift an arm I might start worrying about it.

I've had to get the test done recently and I'd one hundred percent rather get the virus than get the test again it's absolutely disgusting btw and nothing like the videos online.

Comments

Adam9213 wrote: »
    I've had to get the test done recently and I'd one hundred percent rather get the virus than get the test again it's absolutely disgusting btw and nothing like the videos online.

No, you wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

No, you wouldn't.

I one hundred percent would.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

:mad: then you ! have ! no ! clue :(

I see a lot of people worrying too much about catching it, I'm personally not worried at all and barely even think about it.

There's far bigger things to worry about than this, maybe when I'm 90 and can barely lift an arm I might start worrying about it.

I'm immunocompromised and under 30,I'm concerned about catching it. It's not obvious that I have a weak immune system. I've had the test and I'd happily choose that over the virus which can have unexpected consequences including for mild cases. I imagine others are concerned about passing it to family members which may not be as healthy as them. It's killed over a half a million people and that's with global lockdowns...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Can you see how anyone with older family members, who have a respiratory problem, who are pregnant, who have cancer, who are recovering from cancer, who have recently had a transplant etc or who have a family member in any of those categories might feel differently?

• Advertisement

The test is supposed to be pretty bad though..

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Are you not worried about spreading it though? If you did happen to get it.

That's the only worry I have with the whole Covid thing - y'know, that if I caught it I could unknowingly pass it on to parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, friends of my parents etc.

Thats why I do all the social distancing stuff, wear a mask etc. Thing is, if I get it, well, so be it. But I really don't want to be responsible for putting people older than me at risk.

alfa beta wrote: »
    Are you not worried about spreading it though? If you did happen to get it.

That's the only worry I have with the whole Covid thing - y'know, that if I caught it I could unknowingly pass it on to parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, friends of my parents etc.

Thats why I do all the social distancing stuff, wear a mask etc. Thing is, if I get it, well, so be it. But I really don't want to be responsible for putting people older than me at risk.

I've got a grandfather in his 80s who has never followed the recommendations for older people, the way he sees it is he has lived his life and life is too short at his age to sit in his house worrying about death he still wants visitors, to walk the dog, go to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He we are with proof of the "me , me , me, " " I'm alright jack" attitude of so many people today.

**** everyone else that might get sick .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Maybe because they know it’s not all about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There's a pretty good chance they could be intelligent, educated, young, healthy community minded people with empathy, dignity, respect, regard, courtisy & evolved brains that have bigger things to worry about like causing clusters and spreading C-19 to more vulnerable people like their parents, grandparents, people with serious illnesses, cancer victims, neighbours...

Or complete strangers that are 90 and can barely life an arm.

I'm not suggesting you're devoid of intelligence, empathy, dignity & respect or courtesy of course.

According to Ryan Tubirdy it's completely painless just a slight tickle, doesn't even last two seconds and we should all have it done.

To be honest though I think the person who done it to me didn't really know what they were doing because there is no way it could be that bad, mine lasted at least 20 seconds and was extremely painful.

If that translates into not observing social distancing, or wearing a mask, then your actions could lead to shortening the life of a person in a risky category, even something invisible like diabetes.

I'd like to believe this is a wind-up, but looking at the way social-distancing has diminished, I think it's a widely held view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My wife had the test done (negative). She said it wasn’t something you’d want to put a child through unnecessarily, but it wasn’t in any way unbearable, and it wouldn’t stop her from doing it again.

Personally, I’ve had a root canal treatment done where the anaesthetic didn’t take, so I wouldn’t be bothered by a quick swab no matter how uncomfortable it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

According to Ryan Tubirdy it's completely painless just a slight tickle, doesn't even last two seconds and we should all have it done.

To be honest though I think the person who done it to me didn't really know what they were doing because there is no way it could be that bad, mine lasted at least 20 seconds and was extremely painful.

Why did you bother getting the test with your cool and calm attitude or were you in fact “obsessively worried”....

If you were trotting out the same BS as you are here maybe the person doing the test decided to give you the more thorough evaluation ?

Well, you shouldn't listen to Ryan tubridy in the first place, but I've heard from a couple of people who had it done that it's fairly excruciating..

I personally know someone who was very healthy and fit in their late 20's who got this in early April.

seemed a "mild case"-> didn't get any really serious symptoms at the time.

3 months later they are STILL experiencing bad fatigue and breathlessness daily and wondering will this be the case for life....

not to be dismissed as some "I'll be grand" thing.

maybe have a read of this and the comments below...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/coronavirus-covid-19-mild-symptoms-who#comment-142101226

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Bigger things than what? Losing loved ones? Strokes, lung transplants, dialysis, paralysis - and that's if you're "lucky enough" to survive it!:mad:

...and you would prefer to endure and put anyone (and everyone) else through any of that, than take a momentary swab test?! Are masks too much to ask of you too?!

Mods - don't worry, am backing away cos this pisses me off so bad I can taste it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

The test itself is very unpleasant I thought myself. I had it about 6 weeks ago through work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I'm immunocompromised and under 30,I'm concerned about catching it. It's not obvious that I have a weak immune system. I've had the test and I'd happily choose that over the virus which can have unexpected consequences including for mild cases. I imagine others are concerned about passing it to family members which may not be as healthy as them. It's killed over a half a million people and that's with global lockdowns...

Are you concerned about most seasonal illness being immunocompromised?

Half a million since the turn of the year sounds a lot but how many died exclusively of Covid and not forgetting the 31 million who have lost their lives this year.

We have restricted the movements of the healthy to protect the minority.

This won't be a popular comment judging by the populist boloxoligy around lately, but the 500k Covid deaths this year are small figures compared to hunger related deaths of 9 million.

Of course I doubt anyone using an online forum is at risk from hunger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

glasso wrote: »
    I personally know someone who was very healthy and fit in their late 20's who got this in early April.

seemed a "mild case"-> didn't get any really serious symptoms at the time.

3 months later they are STILL experiencing bad fatigue and breathlessness daily and wondering will this be the case for life....

not to be dismissed as some "I'll be grand" thing.

maybe have a read of this and the comments below...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/coronavirus-covid-19-mild-symptoms-who#comment-142101226

If I had a minutes silence for every one of those bolix anecdotal cases I've been told about.

Every time its some lad about 6"2 strong as ox, got it and he was bed bound for months

Terrible Joe Im telling ya

If I had a minutes silence for every one of those bolix anecdotal cases I've been told about.

Every time its some lad about 6"2 strong as ox, got it and he was bed bound for months

Terrible Joe Im telling ya

I hope it happens to you - you'll have the last laugh then won't you?

enjoy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement