Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will your Christmas be like this year?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hopefully a nice peaceful one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Normally meet up with family I rarely see during the year, this year it won't be happening.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Low key one planned this year.

I love Xmas and really look forward to it, added to that we have a new arrival due next month, our first so that definitely adds to joy and excitement.

However my better half lost her father unexpectedly during the year and she was very close to him so there will be some tears. Her mum is over with us, so that too will bring a sombre mood as it's a big loss for her too.

Guess all in all, 2020 will be a year of mixed emotions and Xmas will make it all the more difficult.

No big celebrations, just a quiet one, some nice food and a few drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Christmas is totally an advertising blx.

You can see your family any time (Covid willing, I know).

Time to ditch the sentimentality and just do what is safe now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I used to like Christmas but since my maternal grandfather died ten years ago two days before Christmas Day i honesty can’t be arsed one way or the other what happens around Christmas. I don’t begrudge people who love Christmas and wish I was like that but I’m not and I just don’t like it anymore. I mean Christmas Eve is a better day than Christmas Day itself which is a big let down. And while me and my brothers haven’t always been at home on the day we’ve always been in Ireland and this year my youngest brother is outside Ireland which I’m sure would have altered the mood without COVID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

Meself and the missus were chatting about this a few weeks back and regardless of the situation we're going to make sure the kids have a good Christmas and sure that's what it's all about really. When the kids come along it's all about them and rightly so. If I feel they've had a good Christmas I'll have a good one meself. It'll be strange if we can't do the usual stuff with our parents and siblings but sure we can improvise and make the most of it still.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

The day itself is usually quiet and dull in our house so this year won't be really any different but it's going to be the lead up that's going to be radically changed - no buzz around town, no office xmas parties, no mad crowds, no xmas trees or lights in town....utterly dismal :( Be prepared for a long winter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Chilled and low key, which would be fine. I’m a fairly festive person, but Christmas is usually so over-hyped up already that it can feel like a bit of an anticlimax at times.

We usually go away the last few years so if it’s to be spent at home - which is grand, I will just have to learn to cook a full turkey in the oven properly. :pac::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I had to do/ attend/watch!?!!! a family memorial Mass on the internet last weekend
    it was really wierd even thou the Priest was
    miked up and did a briilliant
    fire and brimstone sermon that would put Rupert Murdock to shame.
    I caN’t imagine being let off attending Mass in Christmas day but I can’t figure hiw it will work -
    especially with the boxes of Quality St and cups
    of tea so handy! That will be wierd!! Will we have to kneel? Or sit around in armchairs? Or repeat all the right words along?? Its going to be a new experience!!

I’ll really miss the run up to it and all the lunches/ nights out/ meeting with people you only meet once a year. I’m not sure if I’ll travel
    myself this tear ir use it as an excuse to stay in my own home for a change - if there is another lockdown by then I definately won’t be let out/in so that will be sad. Any recipies for roasting a turkey in a toaster!? Or how to make christmas puddings? (Im ok on the brandy butter!)

Will definTely be going all out on the garden decorations and maYbe buy something outrageous like a gardenfull of dancing reindeers to outrage good taste and mortify the neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LordBasil wrote: »
    The day itself is usually quiet and dull in our house so this year won't be really any different but it's going to be the lead up that's going to be radically changed - no buzz around town, no office xmas parties, no mad crowds, no xmas trees or lights in town

Sounds quite lovely!

And is how Christmas is for me by choice and circumstance. It starts on Advent Sunday when the Advent Wreath goes up.... as I can no longer get to the Church this will be here this year.

Then it really starts on Christmas Eve, with the carols from Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'll be coming home from Spain to be with my family and it will probably be a quiet Christmas and for me that's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I do think that there needs to be a proper plan in respect to places of worship this Christmas. Closing churches at Christmas after Easter was shut will be tough for many people with strong faith as well as the a la cartes.

Limited Eid prayers were done in Croke park. They should do the same for Christmas mass and televise it for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

wes wrote: »
    Limited Eid prayers were done in Croke park. They should do the same for Christmas mass and televise it for people.

Actually, it would be great if they did some sort of carol service from Croke Park. We have the best musicians, performers and singers in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I usually get a couple of nixers between christmas and new years.

This usually pays for my crimbo and a few pints on NYE. I'll be amazed if this goes ahead this year.

Secondly, all of my three siblings live abroad. If the green list nonsense continues then I may be spending christmas alone with my old pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

can’t see it being much different to other years. Maybe bit lower key.

I usually get Christmas Eve off work and can’t see that changing.

One thing we’ve noticed already since school re started is less invites for the kids to other kids houses and less school activities that require parental attendance

So I would guess the Christmas carols and school play will not be happening this year.

Other than that we will attend our usual stuff - carols in the local parish church, mass on Christmas Day etc but we won’t over do it

I usually like Stephens day as a day to myself in the pub from mid afternoon watching the football and the horse racing betting and drinking - hopefully that can go ahead

• Advertisement

Wonderful. I am determined it will be so, in spite of a difficult year with the loss of a parent. Covid is cordially uninvited.

Advertisement