Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€480 a week make-up bill

Options
  • 24-05-2006 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Who can better that?
    Ahern defends €480 a week make-up bill
    24/05/2006 - 15:26:20

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern today defended the cost of make-up to prepare himself for the Dáil’s TV cameras.

Green Party TD John Gormley who claimed that Mr Ahern was spending €480 a week on his personal vanity, accused him of decadence and dubbed him the 'Queen of Drumcondra'.

Mr Ahern said that it had been the practice of all taoisigh to wear make-up since the televising of Dáil proceedings began in 1990.

“I make the normal preparations that are standard for all those who participate in television programmes,” he said.

He added that the pay for the make-up staff was in line with Siptu rates.

But Mr Gormley said: “Taoiseach, how do you expect the taxpayer, many of whom are lying on trolleys, to pay this exorbitant sum for your vanity?

“It’s extraordinary that you spend more money on make-up than any of the ladies in the Cabinet.

“What sort of priorities do you have when you’re heading around like the Queen of Drumcondra.

“On the 80th anniversary of the founding Fianna Fáil, what would your founder Eamon de Valera say about a Taoiseach who spends hundreds of euro every week on make-up.”

He asked if Mr Ahern should be called the L’Oreal Taoiseach ’because he is worth it’.

But Mr Ahern replied: “When Deputy Gormley is Taoiseach some day he will find in the Taoiseach’s department that there is a service provided by two people, two days a week.

“They’re paid the Siptu rates for the job. I don’t think that they should be fired to satisfy you.”

He added: “I understand that when you go to RTE, that you carefully go to the make-up room. You have never been known not to use make-up.”

Mr Gormley then asked if it was too much trouble to apply the make-up himself.

“The sum of €480 a week is extraordinary when we have people on trolleys. It amounts to nothing more than decadence,” the Dublin South East TD added.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

i remember my mother always on about that. and all to cover that big whiskey nose of his...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Expensive stuff - trowelling on teflon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

are you serious?
    thats ****ing ridiculous
    that'd get a homeless person some decent accomadation and money for food so they could get a job.
    and a million other things... grrr politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

How in the feck can anyone spend €480 a month!?! So this is where all our hard earned tax is going ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

crosstownk wrote:
    Expensive stuff - trowelling on teflon:D

LOL, brilliant! :D

It seems ridiculous in all fairness, apart from the waate of taxpayers money, what the hell's he trying to hide? Is he that lacking in self-confidence? :rolleyes: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

lol i doubt any amount of make up will help the poor fella!!! Thats a bit shocking though in fairness, how much is this make up:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

tinkerbell wrote:
    How in the feck can anyone spend €480 a month!?! So this is where all our hard earned tax is going ....
    I hate to shock you more but read that again, it's €480 per week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

As i said on the other thread. People will believe anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

And he doesn't even dye his hair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Politics forum?????

I'm not sayign its right that he spends that much, but at least he pays his beautician the union rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Seraphina wrote:
    are you serious?
    thats ****ing ridiculous
    that'd get a homeless person some decent accomadation and money for food so they could get a job.

lol! I can just imagine some homeless guy trowelling the makeup onto Bertie in the morning :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

lol! I can just imagine some homeless guy trowelling the makeup onto Bertie in the morning :p

That's whats I thought when I first read that post!!

Nice little earner for whoever does the make-up! (dam,I want that job!) Surprised he can't do it himself in fairness. If he's on telly that often could he not learn!! Guys make-up= foundation/tint and powder, maybe some sweat-stop beforehand if he's the sweaty type. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

in fairness, what the **** does he need make up for?
    he's not being paid to look good, he's being paid to run the ****ing country. why is he wasting taxpayers money on MAKEUP
    he's an ugly old git anyway, he should just accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can understand needing to wear makeup for a TV camera, but €480 a week? Holy cow.

Good to know where my taxes are going.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's good to see Mary Harney isn't wasting any money, she always looks a fright, God bless her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Stark wrote:
    I can understand needing to wear makeup for a TV camera, but €480 a week? Holy cow.

Good to know where my taxes are going.

Its not the actually makeup that costs that. As i said in the other thread about this. €480 covers the cost of the makeup artist that applys it and their wages are controlled by the union and he has no control over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

bertie looks like an alco who lives under a bridge. his stylist should be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I watched him on Ryan Tubridy there a few Saturdays ago and his face was orange. He had his legs crossed and you could see a bit of his leg and it was whiter than white! When there was a full shot of him you could see the obvious difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ferdi wrote:
    bertie looks like an alco who lives under a bridge. his stylist should be shot.
    Well I assume he buys loads of cheap make-up as opposed to some expensive make-up, tis the Irish way!

Advertisement