Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI Road World Championships 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

He was very lucky to get any contract for this year, be amazed if he get's a WT contract next year.

Because the season has the teams are so stretched now, I think any rider who doesn’t get into any of the grand tour teams for this year is probably not going to get a deal next year (injuries aside obviously)

EDIT: just saw he has a deal with Trek until the end of 2021. Let’s hope he has a bumper year so...

Dodge wrote: »
    Because the season has the teams are so stretched now, I think any rider who doesn’t get into any of the grand tour teams for this year is probably not going to get a deal next year (injuries aside obviously)

Mullen has only ever done one GT and that was the Giro in 2018. Outside of the ITT he's always been a man for the break and work for the team. He's looked good in the classics earlier in the year working on the front and trying to split the group for his leaders.

I definitely think is focus on the ITT is gone and is probably not working on it nearly as much as he did in his Cannondale days.

Womens road race rolling out now on ES/GCN

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

paul kimmage retweeted dygerts picture of her injury. dont go looking for it ! going to be some recovery I imagine a broken bone would be quicker.

Womens road race rolling out now on ES/GCN

dont forget it's on bbc red button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Seeing it again I think it's like you say re: the tub, front end was twitching like mad. The good thing though if that can be said was the fact the car and moto were right there with her and saw her go over so help was on hand right away.

The accident was confirmed by her team to be solely down to rider error and no puncture or other mechanical issue was involved. She stayed in the TT skis and lost control in the high speed bend causing a speed wobble.

finally kicking off !

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

"van Vloo-ten" surely the incorrect pronunciation?? My pet hate hearing commentators pronounce it like that!

She's home and hosed here I think.

Yeah, peloton look like they've already thrown in the towel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Group finally woke up

Van Vleuten to pip Borghini to second to complete the Dutch 1-2

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Van Vleuten to pip Borghini to second to complete the Dutch 1-2

It's a race for 2nd & 3rd now

Sketchy finish for 2nd elbows everywhere

Wonder will that 3rd place stand after seeing the replay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Surely the worst sanction is relegation to the back of the sprint which is 3rd place anyway

Looks like the Italian nearly put the Dutch one in the barriers

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Dan has pulled out of the RR due to 'team commitments'

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/dan-martin-out-of-world-championships/28585

So now it's just Nico, Mullen & Ben Healy.

Sadly, he’d be no loss. He’s carrying an injury and he’s done very little since Tour De France 2018 . As usual, a course like this would be good for a top form Dan, but, we have been saying that for some time.

Mullen won’t be much use either in the climbs so between Nico (rose a good TDF ) and young Healy that’s it

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I know we don't have much chance at most races in the WC most years but CI really annoy me by not even trying. The whole set up seems a bit of a joke when it comes to the worlds and even when we have guys that are favourites we do nothing

To be fair , what have the lads themselves done on the pro conti and pro teams ?

Eddie , rode a fine Giro, but very little afterwards . Sadly this season has been a write off due to Covid and he was unfortunate to break his collar bone

Healy has a fine productive season last year winning a stage at L’Avenir, thus being the first Irish man to win a stage

Mullens , oh dear . I know he has had injuries but he can’t even get a decent top 5 in most ITTs he takes part in lately and some of them are hardly involving the elite . He doesn’t do climbs and ITT is his thing and he’s not really producing

Dan Martin sadly has been off the radar since TDF 2018 , partly due to injury and issues with UAE last season . And his record at Olympics n worlds isn’t the greatest . It’s not like he is incapable of winning and placing in one day events

Nico? Well he’s never going to win a big one , but he had a nice Vuelta last year until injury and his TDF performance working for the team makes him a good team player

I assume that the organisation and facilities and even a place to change but be typically Irish (Think FAI / Saipan) compared to the big guns like Belgium Or even Britain but ,we just don’t have the riders on top form going into the worlds and that’s hard,y cycling Ireland’s fault , least at senior level - u23 and junior , that’s a valid point

What have the other domestic riders done Internationally ? No, they shouldn’t be getting the free spot , travel and track suit simply because there’s a spot open, they should be getting into the contention for squad selection if they meet a minimum standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

neris wrote: »

I'm all for it. This woman is amazing on and off the bike

Some of the shots from the helicopter today were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Some of the shots from the helicopter today were amazing.

Think it's actually a zipline-type cam. No way a heli would be allowed that low/close. Lovely shot though however they pulled it off.

Think it's actually a zipline-type cam. No way a heli would be allowed that low/close. Lovely shot though however they pulled it off.

At one point a helicopter was looking the other helicopter doing those shots and it was indeed level but well away from the riders and the hilltop just hovering there. If you look the camera is very obviously zoomed in as it tracks them.

Slightly off topic but I had a chance in recent times to pilot a fairly decent drone a few times (under supervision) and it's bonkers how crap my (maybe everyones) sense of height and distance is. It was 57m up and 200m away but felt like it was way more, especially the height. If you had asked me to guess I'd have said it was at least 150m up based purely on the view I had on the screen of the tablet.

EDIT: More here including the peleton in a similar shot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I heard on another forum that Martin has pulled out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He's not on the PCS Start List any more:
    16. Ireland
    109 HEALY Ben
    110 MULLEN Ryan
    111 ROCHE Nicolas

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/world-championship/2020/startlist/roster

nor here:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/2020-uci-road-world-championships-elite-mens-road-race-start-list/

You cheated on boards ???? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It’s mentioned above too. Announced by CI on Thursday

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/dan-martin-out-of-world-championships/28585

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Not World Championships relatesd but will Ireland have anyone in the Giro or Vuelta?

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not World Championships relatesd but will Ireland have anyone in the Giro or Vuelta?

Dan is down on the Vuelta start list on procyclingstats. No idea if that will come to pass. The way the season is now he might have to ride it to make up numbers.

Sam has nothing confirmed but a few of the other sprinters form the tour are down for the Giro. I'd imagine Sagan and Ewan if they start will exit after week 1.

Advertisement