Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming prescription expenses

Options
  • 18-01-2021 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi

I have already submitted my tax return for last year but forgot that you can claim on medicine.

Can I submit again this year to claim for the past 4 years? Also what is the return %?Is it done as a tax credit or a cash payment?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hi

I have already submitted my tax return for last year but forgot that you can claim on medicine.

Can I submit again this year to claim for the past 4 years? Also what is the return %?Is it done as a tax credit or a cash payment?

Thanks

You can claim for the last 4 tax years 2017 to 2020. Your expenses must relate to the tax year you are claiming. For example if you had expenses that relate to 2017 you must file or amend a 2017 return an so on. Any claims for reliefs/credits which relate to prior tax years and generate a refund of tax will result in a repayment to you via your bank account. If you claim a credit/relief for an active tax year (for example claiming as dependant relative tax credit for the tax year 2021 during 2021) that gets added to your yearly tax credits and any resulting refund/reduction in tax relating to that claim is through your wages.

Tax relief is at 20% on non reimbursed qualifying health expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

You can claim for the last 4 tax years 2017 to 2020. Your expenses must relate to the tax year you are claiming. For example if you had expenses that relate to 2017 you must file or amend a 2017 return an so on. Any claims for reliefs/credits which relate to prior tax years and generate a refund of tax will result in a repayment to you via your bank account. If you claim a credit/relief for an active tax year (for example claiming as dependant relative tax credit for the tax year 2021 during 2021) that gets added to your yearly tax credits and any resulting refund/reduction in tax relating to that claim is through your wages.

Cheers, one of the prescriptions I don't have the prescription claim form for in 2018. I presume I'm goosed without this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Cheers, one of the prescriptions I don't have the prescription claim form for in 2018. I presume I'm goosed without this?

Just get an annual print out from your pharmacy rather than those forms. Less to upload and you've got your full years record to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

Do I submit 20% of the value in the entry page, or 100% of the value and Revenue gives 20% back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

slo007 wrote: »
    Do I submit 20% of the value in the entry page, or 100% of the value and Revenue gives 20% back?

Submit the full cost amount and revenue refunds the 20%

Our health expenses are normally high and I use the Revenue tracker app and just input a photo of the bill everytime we visit GP etc. Makes it grand and handy. I submitted my claim on Saturday gone and the money was in my bank a/c this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Submit the full cost amount and revenue refunds the 20%

Our health expenses are normally high and I use the Revenue tracker app and just input a photo of the bill everytime we visit GP etc. Makes it grand and handy. I submitted my claim on Saturday gone and the money was in my bank a/c this morning.

Oops, I submitted 20% last year for 2019. How do I rectify this?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

slo007 wrote: »
    Oops, I submitted 20% last year for 2019. How do I rectify this?

You can go back in to your 2019 return and amend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcloupj1

Hi,
    I am in a similar position and have not claimed medical / dental expenses for 2017 onwards. I filed my returns on ROS for 2019 back in November without including med expenses. I have logged back on to ROS today to try to input these expenses for the relevant years but i am getting a message in red "The form 11 for this period may not be amended on ROS. Please contact your local tax office to request the necesssary amendements".
    I had employed an accountant for years who filed my accounts up until this year .Does Revenue have to release the relevant years for this to proceed.

Advertisement