Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claiming Tax Relief for E-Working

Options
  • 04-01-2021 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,
    Have been working from home since last March.
    I believe I can claim €3.20 per day as tax relief.

When can I put in a claim?

Is it Feb 15th and I guess I'm claiming for each day from March to 31st Dec (that I worked)?

Jos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

jos_kel wrote: »
    Hi,
    Have been working from home since last March.
    I believe I can claim €3.20 per day as tax relief.

When can I put in a claim?

Is it Feb 15th and I guess I'm claiming for each day from March to 31st Dec (that I worked)?

Jos
    Unfortunately,you believe wrong.
    Your employer may pay you up to €3.20 a day to work at home.
    You can claim a percentage of your gas electric and broadband.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nope, your employer can opt to pay you an extra €3.20 tax free every day you work from home (excludes days you take work home, this is where all your work is done from your home AFAIK). There is no obligation for them to do this.

You can however, claim the following tax relief if your employer does not pay you the €3.20/day:

- 10% of the cost of electricity and heat incurred (apportioned based on the number of days worked at home over the year)
    - 30% of the cost of broadband incurred, (apportioned based on the number of days worked at home over the year).

This concession, commencing in the tax year 2020, will apply for the duration of the pandemic.

Details on how to work it out are here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/index.aspx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 3.20 is the tax free limit for an employer allowance if there is one- the amount for someone claiming themselves as tax relief is worked out different and depends on expenses. Its generally a lot lower.

What is allowable is 10% of heating, 10% of power and 30% of broadband bills for the year, for the number of days you worked only (and divided by the number of people paying them if its a house share/couple)

So if your energy bills were 4k and you paid the lot, and you worked 150 days from home, you can claim
    ((4,000*150)/365)*0.1 = 164
    And if the broadband bills were 1k
    ((1,000*150)/365)*0.3 = 41

You can claim as soon as your 2020 tax is done on Revenue which it probably already is.

If you pay LPT and haven't told them what way you intend to pay this year, they will likely offset any refund up to the LPT amount off that bill!

I have to calculate this for my partner (most of the year) and myself (a whole 15 days, but its still worth getting it in with the MED1 etc) and have to figure out how to work out exactly what I paid in 2020 for bills as all run from mid-month dates. Presumably just divide them by the number of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nope, your employer can opt to pay you an extra €3.20 tax free every day you work from home (excludes days you take work home, this is where all your work is done from your home AFAIK). There is no obligation for them to do this.

You can however, claim the following tax relief if your employer does not pay you the €3.20/day:

- 10% of the cost of electricity and heat incurred (apportioned based on the number of days worked at home over the year)
    - 30% of the cost of broadband incurred, (apportioned based on the number of days worked at home over the year).

This concession, commencing in the tax year 2020, will apply for the duration of the pandemic.

Details on how to work it out are here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/index.aspx

You get 20% of the 10%. I'll get a whopping €40 odd for the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You get 20% of the 10%. I'll get a whopping €40 odd for the year!

Which is why employers really should be paying this to employees.

48 weeks by 5 days is 240 days per year for the average worker. That equates to a tax free payment of €768 that an employer could make to an employee each year if they paid the €3.20 per day.

In order for you to obtain a tax refund of 768 euro, you'd have to have €3840 to enter as the claimable amount in your tax return if you were a standard rate taxpayer. You'd need €1920 if you were a marginal rate taxpayer. Considering in a normal year the claimable amount is supposed to be 10% of your utility/broadband bills; that means you'd have to have utility/broadband bills of €38,400 or €19200 a year to end up with your €768 refund amount.

• Advertisement

My wife is saving at least 300 a month between diesel,tolls,car expenses and lunches.
    I'm not complaining too loudly about 3.20 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

vandriver wrote: »
    My wife is saving at least 300 a month between diesel,tolls,car expenses and lunches.

Good on you.

Other people could perhaps do with getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Useful calculator here to see how many working days for a given interval.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/date/workdays.html?d1=18&m1=03&y1=2020&d2=31&m2=12&y2=2020&ti=on&

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jos_kel

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep given that we’re saving money on travelling and childcare as we are allowed to WFH since last March, I also won’t be rocking the boat looking for extra money like this. My employer has been flexible and accommodating and is considering a hybrid working mode of office and home working for the future and I wouldn’t like to jeopardise that

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Good on you.

Other people could perhaps do with getting it.
    There can't be many people who's expenses have gone up through WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Well for one example, my girlfriend used to walk to work so had no travel expenses.

She's now working from home, so they heating is on from 8am-10pm rather than from 6pm-10pm, so the heating bills will be through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know most people don't tend to think about these things but she might saving in petrol. But she's burning up the heating, using the electricity and eating food.

All of which would otherwise be done in the office written off as a business expense by her employer.

So.... To say it's not something to be concerned about would make you fiscally unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

jimmy86 wrote: »
    Well for one example, my girlfriend used to walk to work so had no travel expenses.

She's now working from home, so they heating is on from 8am-10pm rather than from 6pm-10pm, so the heating bills will be through the roof.

It actually doesn't work like that luckily I guess. If the heating is off the house still cools during the day. So when she returns it has to heat longer to reach the acceptable temperature than it would if it was already warm and just keeping it warm.

Would it have been beneficial if the Christmas bonus for an employee was paid via this €3.20 a day route, it would mean you weren't losing a huge chunk of change from your bonus if your a lower paid worker.

For those working at home full time, lets make it an even 200 working days, that's €640 tax free, which wouldn't be far of getting a €1000 bonus.

Anyway, not that it could or would be done, but most of us would have been better off if we had our wages dropped by the €640 and paid it back as the tax exempt part. So basically no extra wages gross but far more net pay than the 10% would bring in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GarIT wrote: »
    It actually doesn't work like that luckily I guess. If the heating is off the house still cools during the day. So when she returns it has to heat longer to reach the acceptable temperature than it would if it was already warm and just keeping it warm.

Its still works out as requiring more energy to keep it at that heat all day. I've noticed quite a significant increase in gas bills versus last year and that's even with a cheaper rate than last year

Electricity is also up with computer use and kettles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

listermint wrote: »
    I know most people don't tend to think about these things but she might saving in petrol. But she's burning up the heating, using the electricity and eating food.

All of which would otherwise be done in the office written off as a business expense by her employer.

So.... To say it's not something to be concerned about would make you fiscally unaware.

Whatever about heating and electricity hard to see how the food bill could be a business expense written off by employer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Whatever about heating and electricity hard to see how the food bill could be a business expense written off by employer :rolleyes:

I'm guessing there's a subsidised canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mine had gone down , but the heating is now on for much much longer. As the house was rarely occupied during the day

I'm guessing there's a subsidised canteen.

My partner's place has a fairly well stocked kitchen and regularly expensed lunches, I am very jealous, but its a culture thing, if it was my place it would be cleared out daily. It's how the other half lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

My partner's place has a fairly well stocked kitchen and regularly expensed lunches, I am very jealous, but its a culture thing, if it was my place it would be cleared out daily. It's how the other half lives.

I've worked places like that where we'd have expensed lunches at least once a week if not more, it's not all its cracked up to be, I'd rather cover my own lunch and have my break to myself, thank you very much!

#introvert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

Spent the last half hour working out my e-working tax relief.

A grand total of €29 for 180 working days at home in 2020.

Was thinking maybe €50-ish in my head but when you get the calculator and bills out it isn't what it seems.

And then you've to upload all the receipts to go with it. I won't be going any further!

Mine worked out as a total of 40euro. I didn't bother submitting the receipts though. If my name gets pulled out for an audit I might as they are all online in PDF but only doing it if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

listermint wrote: »

Some people will find anything to moan about.

Mine worked out as a total of 40euro. I didn't bother submitting the receipts though. If my name gets pulled out for an audit I might as they are all online in PDF but only doing it if asked.

235 for me..
    Virgin broad band : 882 a year. /365*215*.3
    Elec: 672 a year /365*215*.1
    Gas: 908 /365*215*.1

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I applied for mine last night, seemed fairly straight forward.

ted1 wrote: »
    235 for me..

Then multiplied by your marginal tax rate
    So €47 or €94

ted1 wrote: »
    235 for me..

Balls, forgot the broadband. Back of the envelope calculations looks like I missed out on €45. LOL, my broadband would have gotten me more than that Gas and Electricity combined, even though the Gas and Electricity would have been more of a cost on working from home.

Balls, forgot the broadband. Back of the envelope calculations looks like I missed out on €45. LOL, my broadband would have gotten me more than that Gas and Electricity combined, even though the Gas and Electricity would have been more of a cost on working from home.

Yep , madness.
    My house usually isn’t heated during the day. That’s the biggest additional expense. Broadband is fixed regardless of traffic so hasn’t changed in price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

I read somewhere the bills had to be in your name to claim? surely that's not right? what if you're sharing an apt or for a couple sharing the bills would only be in one persons name? anyone have clarity on this?

Advertisement