Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax credits medical insurance

Options
  • 16-01-2021 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have health insurance paid for by work which appears on my payslips for bik. Reviewing my tax and health policy docs in conjunction I noticed I'm getting the medical insurance tax credit worth €200 however my health premiums mention tax relief at source TRS. Does this mean I should not be claiming the tax credit as I'm getting relief already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Hi,

Have health insurance paid for by work which appears on my payslips for bik. Reviewing my tax and health policy docs in conjunction I noticed I'm getting the medical insurance tax credit worth €200 however my health premiums mention tax relief at source TRS. Does this mean I should not be claiming the tax credit as I'm getting relief already?

If your employer is partially or fully paying for your health insurance, check how much BIK they have paid you for the health insurance all year. If the amount matches the gross policy amount (the premium before tax relief) then you are entitled to claim from my understanding.

I.e. if your gross premium is €1,000; tax relief is €200; net premium is therefore €800. If your employer gives you €1,000 in BIK, then i believe you can claim the tax relief.

Happy to be corrected though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

sternn wrote: »
    If your employer is partially or fully paying for your health insurance, check how much BIK they have paid you for the health insurance all year. If the amount matches the gross policy amount (the premium before tax relief) then you are entitled to claim from my understanding.

I.e. if your gross premium is €1,000; tax relief is €200; net premium is therefore €800. If your employer gives you €1,000 in BIK, then i believe you can claim the tax relief.

Happy to be corrected though..

Thanks

Checked there, my bik amount was the net premium not the gross premium. Also the health policy has an entry for tax relief on the cost breakdown. So I think I can't claim again as it's already taken into account. This tax stuff is a tricky business!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

My medical insurance policy covers my family of four.

Can I claim medical insurance relief per person; or is it just per overall policy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Per person. €200 per adult, €100 per child (provided the gross values of the policy are greater than €1000 per adult and €500 per child).

Advertisement