Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit - Double charged VAT

Options
  • 15-01-2021 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Guys, has anyone any idea how this gets solved going forward

I bought an electric heater from www.buyitdirect.ie for €139 including shipping on 3/1/21

Heater gets dispatched but stuck on the port in UK due to brexit delays, today i get an email from DPD saying i owe €33.76 (€28.76 import/duty charge + €5 admin charge). I rang me local DPD hub and was told this charge was VAT, but tried to explain to them that i had already paid VAT on the item and could supply the invoice to prove it.

Basically i was told either pay up get it delivered or dont and it will be returned...

So i rang buyitdirect to see if i could get a refund for the vat they charged but they have told me that they wont refund the VAT and have no directive from head office on how to handle this situation going forward...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

The uk seller needs to be vat registered in Ireland and charge you Irish vat instead of uk vat. Eg this is what Amazon and many other companies are now doing

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

buyitdirect.ie has an irish vat number and i was charged 21% on the invoice.

Am i correct in saying anything over €22 in value VAT is liable, anything over €150 customs/duty is liable.

Rang DPD head office and the girl understood what i was saying but had no answer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

In that case I’d say buyitdirect have not completed the export documentation correctly. There is no duty on uk origin goods. They would need to sort this out with their courier as you should not be paying Irish vat twice

my thoughts exactly....looks like iv just got screwed so as no hope of getting it back with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And their after sales care is about the worst in the business so don't expect any rational response.

• Advertisement

Is there any way i can claim this back with revenue?

Advertisement