Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop for photo editing and light programming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, I'd forget that laptop for photo and video editing. The HD is tiny really when it comes to storage. Photo and Video swallow storage space.

The screen is another thing. Generally, laptop screens have poor colour control, varying brightness, etc, throwing out the colour reproduction. That can be overcome by regular calibration.

For my photo work, I've a desktop, 32GB ram, 512GB drive for programs, 3TB for storage and a Dell 24" Ultrasharp monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

ianobrien wrote: »
    OP, I'd forget that laptop for photo and video editing. The HD is tiny really when it comes to storage. Photo and Video swallow storage space.

The screen is another thing. Generally, laptop screens have poor colour control, varying brightness, etc, throwing out the colour reproduction. That can be overcome by regular calibration.

For my photo work, I've a desktop, 32GB ram, 512GB drive for programs, 3TB for storage and a Dell 24" Ultrasharp monitor

Thanks IanObrien,

I am very much a beginner when it comes to photography.

Your desktop sounds impressive but I'm only interested in a laptop really.

I thought the size if the ssd was sufficient for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ianobrien wrote: »

While the points you make are mostly true, the budget aspect is what restrains things. Most laptops will come with a 512GB drive in that price bracket, and won't have perfect screens for photography. And comparing a sub 1k laptop, to your setup isn't realistic imo.

I think that machine is actually a very good one for the money. Whopper spec, and more than enough for photo and video work in my mind. Storage would become an issue perhaps, but this would be the case for most laptops. A NAS at the office/home and perhaps a portable SSD if you need to move your files would be sufficient.

I'm a hobbyist photographer and use a Mac that's a couple of years old, the Dell above would wipe the floor with mine. That being said I get on perfectly fine editing large RAW files and working with photoshop/lightroom. I use an Samsung SSD as storage and I backup to the cloud to keep everything secure.

Advertisement