Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 20:45   #1
puffbubble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 42
Hard Drive Crashed when laptop was with engineers

I hope someone can help, I've no idea of my rights.

I left my macbook Pro HD 13 2014 into a legit Reseller to move everything onto my EHD, wipe the laptop and reinstall the OS. They lost my lightroom catalog in the process so I took the laptop home to relocate it. I dropped it back into the engineers to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS. When I called in to collect it today after they delayed the collection time, they admitted the hard drive had crashed when they'd tried to install the OS. Store said "oops, sorry, can't help". and Apple said "tough, won't help".

I'm finding it hard to get accept I have to pay for a €700 ssd plus installation or buy a new laptop when it was with them when it crashed - anyone got any idea of my rights?
puffbubble is offline  
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 20:51   #2
cocaliquid
Registered User
 
cocaliquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 142
700 euro for ssd and installation

how much is the ssd
cocaliquid is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2019, 20:53   #3
sugarman
Registered User
 
sugarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,692
Its a 5 year old laptop, you've no recourse.

The drive would have already been on its way out from every day use, them wiping it and reinstalling the OS would have pushed enough to fail.

Who was quoting you €700??? An SSD can cost you anywhere from €30-130 for for sizes ranging between 120GB - 1TB. Installing it shouldnt cost anymore than a few euro.
sugarman is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2019, 20:54   #4
Rodin
Registered User
 
Rodin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,620
Would have installed it myself. Plenty of youtube videos available
Rodin is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2019, 20:54   #5
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,138
would be unusual for that ssd to fail , but a mid 2014 macbook pro SSD replacement , Ive done 240gb ones for 300 inc fitting, thats mad money unless its a 1tb one and even then....
Eric Cartman is offline  
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 20:55   #6
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
Its a 5 year old laptop, you've no recourse.

The drive would have already been on its way out from every day use, them wiping it and reinstalling the OS would have pushed enough to fail.

Who was quoting you €700??? An SSD can cost you anywhere from €30-130 for for sizes ranging between 120GB - 1TB. Installing it shouldnt cost anymore than a few euro.
its not a SATA ssd, theyre mac specific but not 700 quid.
Eric Cartman is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2019, 20:56   #7
flexcon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,171
Probably can’t install ssd yourself unless you know what you are doing as it’s pcie flash if not mistaken.
flexcon is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2019, 21:01   #8
puffbubble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
Its a 5 year old laptop, you've no recourse.

The drive would have already been on its way out from every day use, them wiping it and reinstalling the OS would have pushed enough to fail.

Who was quoting you €700??? An SSD can cost you anywhere from €30-130 for for sizes ranging between 120GB - 1TB. Installing it shouldnt cost anymore than a few euro.
Thanks for that, the Reseller quoted me the €700 to replace the ssd. But clearly I'll have to look around for alternatives. Grateful for your reply
puffbubble is offline  
06-11-2019, 21:03   #9
puffbubble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaliquid View Post
700 euro for ssd and installation

how much is the ssd
SSD is 700, installation is extra.

Last edited by puffbubble; 06-11-2019 at 21:06.
puffbubble is offline  
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 21:03   #10
flexcon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffbubble View Post
Thanks for that, the Reseller quoted me the €700 to replace the ssd. But clearly I'll have to look around for alternatives. Grateful for your reply
That price from Apple seems to be a logic board my friend. That’s how much compub would have charged me out of consumer law.

Those macs have ssd soldered in afaik and therefore needs a logic board replacement for ssd replacement
flexcon is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2019, 21:03   #11
puffbubble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
would be unusual for that ssd to fail , but a mid 2014 macbook pro SSD replacement , Ive done 240gb ones for 300 inc fitting, thats mad money unless its a 1tb one and even then....
Can you believe its only 128gb!
puffbubble is offline  
06-11-2019, 21:05   #12
puffbubble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexcon View Post
Probably can’t install ssd yourself unless you know what you are doing as it’s pcie flash if not mistaken.
Reseller said it could be Toshiba or Samsung drive, but Apple wouldn't disclose details
puffbubble is offline  
06-11-2019, 21:07   #13
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexcon View Post
That price from Apple seems to be a logic board my friend. That’s how much compub would have charged me out of consumer law.

Those macs have ssd soldered in afaik and therefore needs a logic board replacement for ssd replacement
macbook pro has a replaceable one, its the 'macbook' and air its soldered in.
Eric Cartman is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2019, 21:08   #14
flexcon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffbubble View Post
Reseller said it could be Toshiba or Samsung drive, but Apple wouldn't disclose details
I did some googling and it looks like that quote is indeed for a whole new logic board.

I used to work for AppleCare and that price seems to ring a bell for an issue like this
flexcon is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2019, 21:09   #15
flexcon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
macbook pro has a replaceable one, its the 'macbook' and air its soldered in.
Yeah I remember some MacBook having that issue, probably 2015 or so when I left in 2016. Some nightmare having to justify that whole Situation.
flexcon is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet