Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Chromebook!?

Options
  • 25-10-2019 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭

My Mrs is on the hunt for a laptop replacement.
    The only must have is that it can use the ROS service and it's attendant security cert.
    AFAIK, Chrome OS has no issues with that as it just a 256bit security cert.

The only other real use is occasional Excel and word use and lots of browsing.
    She likes the look of my windows HP X360 and is looking for something similar looks wise so I'm thinking Asus flip or similar.

I have zero experience of what's decent hardware for this and with black Friday/Cyber Monday looming I'd appreciate any pointers from the forum please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

They are really easy to use but as you probably already know they cannot run Windows software so installing/running Office apps is not possible. You can however run Office 365 online.

We have deployed almost 150 Lenovo Chromebooks in our company for GDPR compliance. You can sign in as a Guest which means it's not possible to save any documents as once you log out of Guest account everything is removed.

Google Sheets can open many Excel files but some can cause issues.

Regarding hardware, they tend to be pretty low spec with small storage - usually 32 or 64 GB. Processors are usually lower end but they run fine for most tasks.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭banie01

She has settled on an Acer r13 or similar so I have set an alert on camelcamelcamel for that should it hit its previous lowest price.

Anything of a similar style and price range I should consider?
    Considering lowest Amazon r13 price was £300.

I'm budgeting about €350band 13"+ 2 in 1 Chromebook are the requirements.
    Storage not really an issue as plenty of cloud and NAS based available.

Advertisement