Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some people pretend to support certain football teams?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Omackeral wrote: »
    Tallaght Stadium, Turners Cross and Sligo's Showground are all great stadiums. Not a thing wrong with any of them. All very modern.

I've seen people turn their nose up at Europa League football in Tallaght against Bundesliga opposition because "the swimming is on". Not always a case of build it and they'll come.

They are good, not great. SDCC have given the green light for the remaining stand to be built in Tallaght which helps.

As i mentioned earlier, serious money needs to be pumped in to the LOI. When was the last time you heard an advertisement of any sort for an upcoming fixture? I can't recall. RTE needs to up there game also. Get more games live on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

In fairness to the League of Ireland, the quality of football has improved from disastrous to poor. And the improved attendances are good to see.

The worst thing about League of Ireland is the 'die hard local football man' sort. The sort who would have been involved in fanzines when they were younger. The sort who get very tetchy about people supporting Liverpool and not Limerick FC. They usually hate the GAA as well, and use its success as an excuse for the failures of grassroots soccer in Ireland. These lads are always a massive pain in the hoop and should be actively avoided at all times.

They are between the ages of 35 and 55. Wear Adidas original runners, tend to be either bald or have that spikey grey hair, bit overweight, have a collection of plastic parka football jackets, usually move in packs. The worst thing about them is their complete lack of self-awareness - they see themselves as decent 'salt of the earth' football men, when in reality they are tedious arséholes who bore the bejaysus out of everyone they talk to about their precious LoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They are good, not great. SDCC have given the green light for the remaining stand to be built in Tallaght which helps.

As i mentioned earlier, serious money needs to be pumped in to the LOI. When was the last time you heard an advertisement of any sort for an upcoming fixture? I can't recall. RTE needs to up there game also. Get more games live on air.

Would more live games discourage people from going? Just asking as I think that's why EPL don't have 3pm Saturday games on TV and you have NFL not playing on a Friday night to encourage people to go to high school games.

I'd love more live games on TV but I do think if there's a game on TV on a Friday evening it would feed into my decision to go to see my local team that night or not

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

A lot of the ones I knew are now League of Ireland fans. Claiming they enjoy going to “live” football and that it’s a “purer” form of the game.

Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s great to see the LoI getting numbers at the games but, as I’ve said previously on this site, I’d be worried about those numbers dropping if United sort them sort themselves out. Don’t see it happening for a few years yet though.

All very disingenuous, from where I’m standing.
    Think you're wrong on that one. Once people start going to games and get properly attached to a club they won't go back to "supporting" a team from abroad, regardless of how they're doing. Fan retention isn't an issue for the league, it's convincing the people to come in the first place that's difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Edgware wrote: »
    A fiver!! When were you last at a match?
    As with most people deriding out national League, I'm going to guess the answer is never.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Would more live games discourage people from going? Just asking as I think that's why EPL don't have 3pm Saturday games on TV and you have NFL not playing on a Friday night to encourage people to go to high school games.

I'd love more live games on TV but I do think if there's a game on TV on a Friday evening it would feed into my decision to go to see my local team that night or not

Out of sight, out of mind springs to mind. More regular coverage will bring it to more people's attention.

The standard has improved over the last 10 years, thanks mainly to Dundalk/Cork and at times Rovers. The ticket prices are more than fair so that is not what is keeping attendances low.

I can think of one quick fix anyway for the LOI.

Scrap Friday night fixtures. Move them to a saturday or even sunday. You want to attract more families & kids then you need to make this change.

I can think of one quick fix anyway for the LOI.

Scrap Friday night fixtures. Move them to a saturday or even sunday. You want to attract more families & kids then you need to make this change.

Why scrap altogether? Why not spread them out and have a fixture everyday of the weekend?

EPL has Friday night games, Saturday at 3 different times back to back, Sunday games generally at 2 different times back to back, Monday nights and also midweek when there’s no cup or European games. Even Stephens Day and New Years Day have games when people are going to be around locally and less likely to have work.

Why is the mentality to scrap a whole day altogether? Spread it out, it’s worked well with the international break with a game on tv most evenings over the 2 week period.

More options would be good.

Why scrap altogether? Why not spread them out and have a fixture everyday of the weekend?

EPL has Friday night games, Saturday at 3 different times back to back, Sunday games generally at 2 different times back to back, Monday nights and also midweek when there’s no cup or European games. Even Stephens Day and New Years Day have games when people are going to be around locally and less likely to have work.

Why is the mentality to scrap a whole day altogether? Spread it out, it’s worked well with the international break with a game on tv most evenings over the 2 week period.

More options would be good.

Apologies, my idea was hap-hazard. Yes, that is a much better idea. You could keep the games that attract strong crowds on a friday night (for the majority) and split throughout the weekend.

All it would take is some surveys around each club as to when people would most likely to attend that would also attract a new audience

Apologies, my idea was hap-hazard. Yes, that is a much better idea. You could keep the games that attract strong crowds on a friday night (for the majority) and split throughout the weekend.

All it would take is some surveys around each club as to when people would most likely to attend that would also attract a new audience

I get to a paltry 2 or 3 games a season, I'd definitely go on a Monday night to more local games, or a weekend game if it doesn't clash with Liverpool which over the summer would be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They are good, not great.

Don't get this at all. What do you want, heated seats and a happy ending? They have anything any other stadium has, they're just smaller. No need for a 30,000 seater of people won't fill a 10,000 one.

Don't get this at all. What do you want, heated seats and a happy ending? They have anything any other stadium has, they're just smaller. No need for a 30,000 seater of people won't fill a 10,000 one.

Very true. I wouldn't class them as great though. Like people who refer to every second player as a legend.

For the three stadiums which you mentioned, and indeed they are good, look below and tell me investment isn't required for the below clubs

Shels
    Pat's
    Galway
    Waterford
    Dundalk (And them ****ebags have plenty of money)
    Bray

and a few other obvious one's in lower league

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Love playing it but couldn't be bothered watching millionaires feigning injury. I wonder how much money leaves Ireland every year from people heading over to England and Scotland? Must be in the hundreds-of-millions of euro/pounds.

There's no good reason why Ireland couldn't have a better league than Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Very true. I wouldn't class them as great though. Like people who refer to every second player as a legend.

For the three stadiums which you mentioned, and indeed they are good, look below and tell me investment isn't required for the below clubs

Shels
    Pat's
    Galway
    Waterford
    Bray

Considering the paltry prize money, zero advertising and very little television coverage what can we expect?

The FAI let the grass grow on the terraces. Fattening their own wallets on the nation team’s, varied, success forcing the clubs to “farm out” any potential talent to the UK.

If those, so called, “football men” cared about the game at all they’d stop the back slapping and ridiculous salaries and put proper money into the leagues here.

They’re worse than bankers.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's true that English football supporters who grow up in English cities have a very different relationship to their clubs than Irish people who simply pick a team to support in the premier league when they're in school. But that doesn't mean that it's silly to follow an English premier league team from Ireland. Surely fandom can accommodate more than just one type of fan.

I was a young teenager in the early to mid 90's and began following Man Utd because a) my best friend growing up had family connections in Manchester and was big into Utd, this meant I got to go to a couple of games at OT when I was 13/14 and that's an experience that's going to be formative and b) they were successful, with good players who played an attractive brand of football. The whole mystique around the club's history, the strong Irish association and the glamorization of english football with the advent of Sky, all played a big part in it. For years and years I followed them religiously, and their achievements and failures affected me as deeply as anything that's ever happened to the Irish team, with the exception of Saipan maybe!

But I never understood or tried to replicate the typical banter that rival team's supporters go on with.
    I went through school, college and the workplace with Irish people who supported Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc and while most of them liked to do a bit of the old, "Oh, we were so great last night, we really hammered you lot!" - I always found this faintly ridiculous as I could always separate myself from supporters who were actually FROM England! I didn't enjoy watching the team because I wanted to beat "Citay" or "the Scouse cnuts!" - I enjoyed watching them because they were great to watch and had a never say die attitude of giving 110% to win every game. When I began following them their first forays into European cup football in years were extremely ropey and very much a learning curve. 6/7 years later and with a team of young local players at their core, they won the Champions league. That kind of romantic story is what attracted me to them, not savouring beating Leeds United away!

Why have I lost interest in them now? Nothing to do with the retirement of Ferguson or the plummet down the table since. I've lost interest in Premier league football completely because whatever scintilla there was of the old game that lingered on through the 90's and 2000's, of players who were grateful to be professionals, who still identified with fans and who played like their lives depended on it, that's all long gone now. Obscene money, modern narcissistic culture and the cancer of cheating/diving twinned with woefully inadequate refereeing has destroyed what was once a great game. (At the top level at least)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I get to a paltry 2 or 3 games a season, I'd definitely go on a Monday night to more local games, or a weekend game if it doesn't clash with Liverpool which over the summer would be fine

My own club Dundalk played once this season at same time as Liverpool, and id imagine most clubs be the same.

LOI rarely if ever clash with Prem league games

Shels
    Pat's
    Galway
    Waterford
    Bray

Do you know why Dundalk havn't upgraded or done anything to their stadium? As the owners have said, why would they build real estate on land they do not own. Makes no sense.

Shels are moving to the new Dalymount (if its ever done)

Pats wanted a new stadium which included shops etc, had plans in and all and council rejected them

Galway have a fine stadium, as with Waterford

Bray, I cant say why its never been done up

My own club Dundalk played once this season at same time as Liverpool, and id imagine most clubs be the same.

LOI rarely if ever clash with Prem league games

I'm saying if LOI moved to the same weekend slots as the EPL

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pgj2015 wrote: »
    anyone any idea why people would do this?
    It's their way of secretly supporting the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I support Arsenal. I'm not from London and I've only been to a handful of matches over there down through the years. My relationship with the team is mainly through the medium of TV and talk on the internet and/or work. Nevertheless, I feel like I have an emotional connection to the team. Is it properly authentic in the sense that I can vividly remember people pissing on my leg in the North Bank back in the day? Well, no - it isn't. I don't know if I really care though or even if that's important. If they win the league - which currently sounds like something from the realms of science fiction - will it mean more to some guy from Islington? Yeah, probably. But, it'll mean something to me too - and that's enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'm saying if LOI moved to the same weekend slots as the EPL

Friday isn't ideal, especially for urban clubs because of traffic, but it's probably the day least likely to clash with GAA matches and football (EPL, SPL, European games etc).

LOI clubs have (and do) had Saturday and Sunday game with little effect on attendances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Tottenham supporter since 1982. COYS

Friday isn't ideal, especially for urban clubs because of traffic, but it's probably the day least likely to clash with GAA matches and football (EPL, SPL, European games etc).

Friday night is savage IMO. Get off work and head straight to the game. Most people finish around 5 or 5:30. There's nowhere in the city you can't be within 2 hours. Friday nights are football nights here. It's a proper sub-culture. That's one really good selling point the clubs ought to promote more. Sell it as a night out the way going to the dogs is sold. The amount of people I've had come with me that were somewhat indifferent to football that ended up having a ball because there's craic to be had in the bars before, at HT and after is unreal. Loads of returning punters.

If they're already die-hards for United, Liverpool etc they can still check out EPL the Saturday or the Sunday. Following both doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. 95% of LOI fans enjoy the EPL just as much as non LOI people btw, despite what some would have you think.

Friday night is savage IMO. Get off work and head straight to the game. Most people finish around 5 or 5:30. There's nowhere in the city you can't be within 2 hours. Friday nights are football nights here. It's a proper sub-culture. That's one really good selling point the clubs ought to promote more. Sell it as a night out the way going to the dogs is sold. The amount of people I've had come with me that were somewhat indifferent to football that ended up having a ball because there's craic to be had in the bars before, at HT and after is unreal. Loads of returning punters.

If they're already die-hards for United, Liverpool etc they can still check out EPL the Saturday or the Sunday. Following both doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. 95% of LOI fans enjoy the EPL just as much as non LOI people btw, despite what some would have you think.

Only issue is when it clashes with the Pro 14 but in general I agree with you. Doesn't really suit my schedule but I do get to the occasional game and I think Liverpool have played only 1 or 2 Friday night EPL games ever so it's a good slot. I'd still say you could change it up every few weeks and have alternatives

Only issue is when it clashes with the Pro 14 but in general I agree with you. Doesn't really suit my schedule but I do get to the occasional game and I think Liverpool have played only 1 or 2 Friday night EPL games ever so it's a good slot. I'd still say you could change it up every few weeks and have alternatives

Disagree, games have to be the same every week. You wont get new fans by saying in march we have games

1 March on a Friday
    10 March on a Sunday
    17 March on a Saturday
    23 March on a Friday
    31 March on a Saturday

With all due respect, if it's not the PRO 14 it'll just be something else. Changing it up every weekend isn't a goer either IMO, the structure is what makes it. Friday night floodlights, pre match pints or sweets if a family evening (or if ya don't drink!), passable bit of grub and watch the game. If you do have the kids with you they can maybe get a couple of selfies with the players afterwards too.

Sunday games are quite dull over here unless they're cup semi finals or finals. Again, it's just not the culture. It's been tried and doesn't translate into numbers. Fact is, you are giving football fans a conundrum going against Sky's Super Sundays. Friday is the perfect spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i love monday night games, its easier to get mates to go to matches monday nights and im busiest with work weekends so friday and sat nights arent good for me.

Advertisement