Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-11-2019, 06:30   #16
Black Swan
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
I'm up for it, it would be interesting to chat to aoc over a meal
I would modestly propose to invite Jonathan Swift to dine with ye to offer a bit of satire to your meal.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-11-2019, 06:31   #17
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan
I would modestly propose to invite Jonathan Swift to dine with ye.

I've no idea who that is, but I'd eat anything
12-11-2019, 06:47   #18
Black Swan
Category Moderator

Quote:
I've no idea who that is...
You're kidding? You have never read Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal or Gulliver's Travels? Probably one of Eire's most famous authors and satirist?
Thanks from:
12-11-2019, 06:57   #19
blergh

He used to attack people who entered his room unannounced and walk for aaaages every day. Apparently.

AOC of course handled crazy person/troll with gentle aplomb.
12-11-2019, 07:46   #20
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
You're kidding? You have never read Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal or Gulliver's Travels? Probably one of Eire's most famous authors and satirist?
im aware of the books, but unfortunately ive issues reading, wish i could to be honest, i even have issues with audiobooks
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-11-2019, 08:03   #21
Black Swan
Category Moderator

Quote:
im aware of the books, but unfortunately ive issues reading, wish i could to be honest, i even have issues with audiobooks
Hundreds of years ago Jonathan Swift wrote A Modest Proposal that satirically suggested harvesting Irish babies to satisfy British Royal tastes. Swift was poking fun at the Royals, who got quite angry. When this silly "eating babies" reference was made to smear AOC, I was reminded of our historic Irish hero Swift.
Thanks from:
17-11-2019, 22:50   #22
mzungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
Technological evolution.
Happening at a fast pace and this causes problems.
17-11-2019, 23:08   #23
MoashoaM

Unless AOC explicitly says "We should eat babies to solve climate change", or anything like as much, then she has not promoted, or endorsed, this idea or policy.
19-11-2019, 01:00   #24
Black Swan
Category Moderator

It was a silly low level smear attempt that no one would take seriously, but never-the-less typical of the childish name calling of her opposition.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-11-2019, 20:43   #25
mzungu

Quote:
It was a silly low level smear attempt that no one would take seriously, but never-the-less typical of the childish name calling of her opposition.
An unfortunate sign of the times. The wild west internet allows these silly fabrications the light of day.
22-11-2019, 10:44   #26
Black Swan
Category Moderator

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was the youngest congresswoman in US history, who failed to observe the old congressional protocols to act like a "junior" member, and be seen, but not heard. Her rather provocative congressional actions have made her a household name across the country, much to the chagrin of both long established Republicans, as well as long standing members of her own party. She symbolises the Me-too movement across the pond, signalling potential changes in women's role expectations, which can be threatening to those accustomed to the generally second class status of women in recorded history. Confident and self-actualized men need not worry, and may find her an attractive alternative to the age old status quo, while those feeling insecure may engage in childish men's locker room smears like the topic of this thread.
(2) thanks from:
22-11-2019, 18:41   #27
Ipso

Maybe being heard isn't good enough on its own.
https://www.politifact.com/personali...statements/by/
22-11-2019, 21:12   #28
blergh

I liked knock down the house on netflix. Just her bits really, started fast-forwarding through a lot of the other segments after a while. She's very genuine, very good at what she does and a good person imo.
23-11-2019, 00:57   #29
Black Swan
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Maybe being heard isn't good enough on its own.
https://www.politifact.com/personali...statements/by/
This Politifact page 1 of 1 is titled "All statements by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez." Are we to believe that AOC has only made a total of 8 statements between Friday, July 6, 2018 through June 21, 2019? At the least, this single page 1 of 1 title and 8 item list was terribly misleading; or worse, a "Pants on fire!" statement by Politifact themselves. These 8 statements did not in the slightest represent the population of "All statements" by AOC during the time period specified by Politifact.

How were these 8 statements selected by Politifact out of hundreds, perhaps thousands of statements made by AOC during this time period? An n=8 would fail statistical size calculations for her population of statements, as well as to be so small in number as to be statistically meaningless, and not representative of that population of statements. Consequently, no valid or reliable generalisations can be made from this tiny n=8 for AOC. Rather, this very specific selection of 8 statements out of the population appears to be a convenience sample, and such nonrandom and non-representative samples must be viewed with great caution, and having a great potential for selection bias, abnormal skewedness, and distortions of reported results.

This page 1 of 1 with only 8 statements appears to be GIGO; i.e., Garbage In, Garbage Out.
Thanks from:
23-11-2019, 05:50   #30
blergh

Quote:
This Politifact page 1 of 1 is titled "All statements by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez." Are we to believe that AOC has only made a total of 8 statements between Friday, July 6, 2018 through June 21, 2019? At the least, this single page 1 of 1 title and 8 item list was terribly misleading; or worse, a "Pants on fire!" statement by Politifact themselves. These 8 statements did not in the slightest represent the population of "All statements" by AOC during the time period specified by Politifact.

How were these 8 statements selected by Politifact out of hundreds, perhaps thousands of statements made by AOC during this time period? An n=8 would fail statistical size calculations for her population of statements, as well as to be so small in number as to be statistically meaningless, and not representative of that population of statements. Consequently, no valid or reliable generalisations can be made from this tiny n=8 for AOC. Rather, this very specific selection of 8 statements out of the population appears to be a convenience sample, and such nonrandom and non-representative samples must be viewed with great caution, and having a great potential for selection bias, abnormal skewedness, and distortions of reported results.

This page 1 of 1 with only 8 statements appears to be GIGO; i.e., Garbage In, Garbage Out.
Politifact states that its process for selecting claims to fact check include considering whether the statement seems misleading or like it might be wrong. So having eight claims checked isn't intended to suggest that is representative of everything AOC has said. It's just there were only eight claims that they thought sounded questionable.

So having few claims on it relative to your profile is a good thing.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion