Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone installed router in the worst possible part of the house. How to fix?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JamBur

I recently got the 500mb fibre line installed.

The engineer installed it at the front door in the corner of the house. By the time I get to the living room the speed is 90mb. Then my bedroom is 30mb which is the opposite end of the house.

He literally followed the instructions here for "BAD WIFI" : https://wonderfulengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Wifi-router-positioning-matters.png

So, what can I do? Can I ask Vodafone to come out and re-position the router to the center of the house?

If you think that won't work, what about an access point like this? Do they work well? https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA901N-Wireless-Injector-Ethernet/dp/B087MSF7BR

I still have 13 days to cancel the whole thing if I want so have time to mull over the options.

I'm fairness to him, the majority of Irish houses have it positioned there, as that's where the phone line is.

It was the same in my own house. I ran a cable up through the ceiling to position it in the middle of the house. B even with that I still had weak spots. Look into a mesh wifi system. Relatively cheap, work well, easy to set up. ( I've a 3 node Google WiFi network)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

It was an Open Eir engineer who installed the line and he followed SOP to install the line within 1m inside your front door. They are not required to install where you prefer for a number of reasons including safety and insurance.

Walls, mirrors, microwaves, christmas tree lights and other things can actually interfere with the wifi signal, my advice is to look up a "wifi mesh" and set that up in your home to attain maximum value from your wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

JamBur wrote: »
    I'm fairness to him, the majority of Irish houses have it positioned there, as that's where the phone line is.

It was the same in my own house. I ran a cable up through the ceiling to position it in the middle of the house. B even with that I still had weak spots. Look into a mesh wifi system. Relatively cheap, work well, easy to set up. ( I've a 3 node Google WiFi network)

Got a link to that wifi mesh system?

Also why can't I just buy a €25 access point from amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Our house is the same, it's where the phone line comes in, so the best spot for them to install the router.
    Get yourself a set of home plugs, they use your houses current wiring to carry the signal.
    TP Links are good. If you need it wireless get one of these
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5585575/Trail/searchtext%3ETp+links.htm
    Very easy to set up and work very well, I had one set up in a detached garage and the signal was just as good as being in the main house.

Advertisement