Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 now blocking sites

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

any ideas?
    They are not read only. Even if they were just create a new connection using the open DNS settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They are not read only. Even if they were just create a new connection using the open DNS settings.
    true! afaik you can only edit the connection only when not connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

are o2 currently blocking sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yes, and they will continue to block sites at a whim.

jor el wrote: »
    Yes, and they will continue to block sites at a whim.

they told me this morning that they were not blocking sites.
    i need to find examples of genuine sites that they are blocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Honda08 wrote: »
    they told me this morning that they were not blocking sites.
    i need to find examples of genuine sites that they are blocking

They told you they're not blocking ? Have a look at the O2 forum thread where they admit it themselves, post no 17..

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=6034&page=2

I'm no longer with them but they were blocking imageshack, hotfile.com, etc. Also, when I first found out I rang up to complain and they denied it. I got the rep to find an O2 modem and try it for himself, and he was amazed to find he was also being blocked. What does that tell you about them :pac:

They told you they're not blocking ? Have a look at the O2 forum thread where they admit it themselves, post no 17..

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=6034&page=2

I'm no longer with them but they were blocking imageshack, hotfile.com, etc. Also, when I first found out I rang up to complain and they denied it. I got the rep to find an O2 modem and try it for himself, and he was amazed to find he was also being blocked. What does that tell you about them :pac:

can you give me a list , pm if u wish, of sites blocked, by o2, ie genuine ones
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm an o2 customer also, but I've been using the Dovado UMR router and Open DNS for a long while, so I haven't seen these issues - but I disagree on principle with what o2 are doing here. Has anyone pointed this thread out to talk2o2Daryll?

I'm an o2 customer also, but I've been using the Dovado UMR router and Open DNS for a long while, so I haven't seen these issues - but I disagree on principle with what o2 are doing here. Has anyone pointed this thread out to talk2o2Daryll?

o2 - one hand doesent know what the others doing.

ie here they admit blocking

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=6034

yet their disconnection dept deny blocking is taking place.

To be fair to Daryll, he's normally on the ball. Enough noise here, and it might be enough to force a u turn?

• Advertisement

To be fair to Daryll, he's normally on the ball. Enough noise here, and it might be enough to force a u turn?

to be honest i reckon most people just want to be treated fair, ie yea let them change the contract if they so like, but give the customer the option to cancel without penalty ...

that would be the fair thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Honda08 wrote: »
    to be honest i reckon most people just want to be treated fair, ie yea let them change the contract if they so like, but give the customer the option to cancel without penalty ...

that would be the fair thing to do.
    Haven't they broken their contract?If so,have they provided you an option of cancelling -without fear of such reprisals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Hey, maybe the service will improve when all the filesharing downloaders decide to quit O2.

polyfusion wrote: »
    Hey, maybe the service will improve when all the filesharing downloaders decide to quit O2.
    i know of a few who were going to sign up to o2 to get mobile broadband...

i told them that i heard about the vodafone offer, of €14.99 for the same deal
    and they went with that.. it actually seems to work quite ok

There are several threads discussing this topic on O2's own forum. The mods there are well aware of it, and are basically denying any wrong doing. The official company lines is that they're going to continue blocking sites at their own discretion (based on what the IWF say) and are not willing to discuss options or opinions with customers.
    The contract is not legally binding any more.So they provided you an option of cancelling -without fear of reprisals.

They have not provided such an option. They deny the contract was changed, or that it has been broken. They have given 1 person a "good will" escape from contract, which is not the same thing.
    polyfusion wrote: »

With a cap of between 5-10GB a month, downloaders aren't going to cause too much of a problem. They're not likely to loose too many customers over this, and if you are experiencing problems with connection speed, that's likely to continue. They have already unblocked most of the file sharing sites anyway.

jor el wrote: »

They have not provided such an option. They deny the contract was changed, or that it has been broken. They have given 1 person a "good will" escape from contract, which is not the same thing.

But the very notion of them breaking the very terms and conditions they set out for their customers breaks that contract does it not?You said they don't concede to the fact, but by the very nature of them giving a customer a good will gesture should be enough to cement your already correct assumption -which is they broke the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

But the very notion of them breaking the very terms and conditions they set out for their customers breaks that contract does it not?You said they don't concede to the fact, but by the very nature of them giving a customer a good will gesture should be enough to cement your already correct assumption -which is they broke the contract.

However, the only way to test that is to bring them to court. O2 will do whatever they can not let that happen [let you out of contract without admiting wrongdoing].

They will never allow their contracts to be tested that is for sure. As said they would rather release someone from a contract than allow a judge to give a ruling. A ruling would open the flood gates, something o2 would be keen to avoid.

People who break their contract with 02 should have nothing to worry about so.As you rightly pointed out, that still lets them off the hook until someone challenges them in court that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

They gave me the 'good will'. However it amounts to virtually nothing as I only had a month to run anyway. I have complained to Comreg who said they are escalating, but while they have said they are investigating, they cannot confirm what actions are to be taken.

So I suspect Comreg will intervene only on a case-by-case basis, and since I have been released from my contract they will be content to leave it at that and do nothing further, while what really needs to happen is that O2 is taken to book properly on behalf of all customers.

Is there any way to raise a class-action in this country ? btw I've also mailed Viviene Reading's office on the issue but have received no response to date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Using a list I found on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo_sharing_websites I went thru the list and found that they are also blocking http://imgsrc.ru

Just having a thought over coffee this morning - surely iPhone customers could also claim breach of contract? :D

Yes indeed they could. :D Now that would cause them some problems. ;)

Yes indeed they could. :D Now that would cause them some problems. ;)

has anyone else cancelled without penalty say in the middle of a contract?

it would be interesting to know how many people have cancelled.. .... i dont think there has been any yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Got a reply from the European Commission. They said that O2 is violating some Universal Directive (Don't have it at hand..I'll get the exact name later) which was transposed into Irish Law so what they are doing is illegal. The EC can't do anything directly, but they told me to contact the European Commission for Communication Regulation (Comreg :P) as they'll be obliged to act on it.

Got a reply from the European Commission. They said that O2 is violating some Universal Directive (Don't have it at hand..I'll get the exact name later) which was transposed into Irish Law so what they are doing is illegal. The EC can't do anything directly, but they told me to contact the European Commission for Communication Regulation (Comreg :P) as they'll be obliged to act on it.

i just thought of this

is a customer of o2 entitled to ask for a copy of the exact blocking list that is being used? under the Data Protection Act / etc

That is very interesting, and a great result.

Some people on the O2 forum have put forward arguments that the T&Cs are not being broken, as the bit that says O2 doesn't control content isn't actually been broken. I'd maintain that they have at least added a new term, if they haven't changed one, which is also a breach of contract.

My account is still active, and they've billed me for next month, but they can go and swing for it.

They will bill you twice more before killing your account and turning it over to Intrum Justitia. That will be the last you will ever hear of it.

They will bill you twice more before killing your account and turning it over to Intrum Justitia. That will be the last you will ever hear of it.

then its better to this rather than taking legal action?

much cheaper lol

• Advertisement

But you will never get a contract from o2 again.

Advertisement