Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is 43 /44 too old to have a child?

Options
  • 27-01-2020 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

is 43 /44 too old to have a child?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

As long as doctor says you're healthy enough, go for it if you're happy to.

My sil gave birth at 48 and has a lovely 6 year old and no bother to her health

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If health wise and fertility wise you have no issues, and your doctor has no concerns, then it's entirely up to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

YES!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

The chances of having a Downs syndrome baby skyrocket in your 40's.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

galwayllm wrote: »
    YES!!!!!
    vandriver wrote: »
    The chances of having a Downs syndrome baby skyrocket in your 40's.

Not if the OP is male...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭golfball37

If you're male I don't see any issue at all OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Id seriously look at using a donor egg/embryo at that age. But I do know of women who have had healthy children at that age and older. Might be best to talk to an expert about it.

Everyone - the OP is MALE.

I checked his previous posts.

Mod:

The Boy Conor, do NOT post on this thread again.

Posts and responses deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Historically it was very common (for both women and men). What's unusual these days is people having their first or second at that age vs historically parenthood at age 43 was for baby 10 or thereabouts.

Do a search of the 1911 census for women in their early 50s. Look at the age of their youngest child and do the maths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Neyite wrote: »
    Everyone - the OP is MALE.

I checked his previous posts.
    Up to him to clarify. What a threadbare post. And he might be referring to his partner rather than himself.

If female, it's risky if she conceives at all. And could be tough. People will give examples of exceptions but of course you'd have less energy than if you had the baby ten years before. Also you'll be mid 60s with a 21-year-old. Then again, it could all work out fine, but it's not without considerations.

If male, no health issues and less likelihood of fertility issues, but see the rest of the above.

Strange to ask this though - they know all those answers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Not at all, nothing at all wrong with the age itself.

The biggest challenge though (assuming the woman in question is the same age) will very likely be getting pregnant and carrying successfully to term.

I would not be put off by the increased chance of Down Syndrome side of it. Yes, the chances definitely increase as you get older, but it's not like every other baby born to a parent that age will be effected, I think it's probably 2-3%.

Mod:
    Closing a pointless thread as it's opening up too much conjecture and too much cyber-diagnosis going on

OP, you /your partner need to talk to a doctor rather than listen to people online about something as permanent as having a child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement