Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solutions? Music in teen bedrooms - without phone

Options
  • 07-01-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

This seems silly but I can't get my head around it. Somebody else might be able to suggest solutions!

Our teens (13, 14) have phones - one Apple, one Android. Us parents have Apple. All our music is on Apple libraries / iTunes. We don't allow phones in bedrooms at night. And try to prevent phones being brought into bedrooms during the day.
    What can we use so they can have access to play music (onto a bluetooth speaker or similar), but not have access to internet at large, or social media, in their bedrooms?

Our younger child doesn't have a phone, and I'd like him to have access to music in his room too.

Remembering the hours I spent in my room as a moody teenager, listening to music on cassette tapes and later, CDs, I want them to be able to do the same (maybe without the moodiness - unlikely!).

Comments

Can you hook up an Amazon echo or dot to Apple music?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 getoutahere

Amazon Alexa speaker now has iTunes access I believe or else with Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Sorry, should have said I'm fairly tech challenged (sigh).
    Would Alexa or echo not give same access to internet / soc media?
    I suppose I'm looking for the modern equivalent of putting on a CD. Where the teen gets to choose and play their music, but nothing else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

grazer wrote: »
    Sorry, should have said I'm fairly tech challenged (sigh).
    Would Alexa or echo not give same access to internet / soc media?
    I suppose I'm looking for the modern equivalent of putting on a CD. Where the teen gets to choose and play their music, but nothing else!

There's no screen. You talk to the speaker

• Advertisement

Thanks. I really amn't familiar with Alexa, Dot etc., so had a look at the link.

This feature is what I'm hoping to avoid ...
    "Call or message anyone with an Echo device, the Alexa App or Skype hands-free."

Edited to add:
    Though I suppose if it's voice messaging or calling, it's less of a problem than text messaging or snapchatting half the night. And teens are allergic to actually talking to each other, so it may not be such an issue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

According to this link you can disable the calling/messaging and a few other things
    https://protectyoungeyes.com/content/amazon-echo-parental-controls/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Going to go out on a limb here but how about a mini hi-fi, surley kids these days must think big speakers are still cool https://www.richersounds.com/pioneer-x-em16.html

I'd say you have to set that up though, if you didn't set it up, and just installed Apple music, that's all they'd be able to do with it..

The only other option I can think of is an mp3 player, where you'd have to download all the music and put it into it..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Look at internet/WiFi radios,thousands of radio stations with built in Spotify and very limited internet access

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=Internet+radio&authToken=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I was a teenager in the 80s. I’d loads of music in my room. We only had one phone in the house, the landline, and no internet, because there was no internet.

Technology, eh?

endacl wrote: »
    I was a teenager in the 80s. I’d loads of music in my room. We only had one phone in the house, the landline, and no internet, because there was no internet.

Technology, eh?

Same here.

Us trying to be responsible parents and control our kids' use of internet, is preventing them getting to play their own music in their own rooms. It's bonkers! As a teenager I had a big ghetto blaster, all my cassette tapes and later - gasp - CDs, in my bedroom and spent many a long angst-ridden evening there, blaring my music and hating the world. A very important developmental aspect of being a teenager, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This is the big disadvantage with Apple. You don't actually own the music, you lease it for your lifetime & they don't let you make copies that you could use on an Android device.

As far as I know Apple still make ipods. You could buy an ipod & link it to your apple account /iTunes account. The ipod could then be docked in a music player /speaker system.

I'd be thinking that they might want to listen to different music at the same time. This could mean two ipods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The simple solution is to give them a cheap ipod to control a bluetooth speaker (get a refurbished one on apple store).

You can create a password that disables whatever features you want. My own two kids have ipods for music and audiobooks only - calling, facetime, messaging, internet, etc are all disabled with a passcode that only I have. These are their "bedroom" devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

jimbev wrote: »
    Look at internet/WiFi radios,thousands of radio stations with built in Spotify and very limited internet access

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=Internet+radio&authToken=

do you not need to control them with your phone though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Forgive me if im being an eejit as im not familiar with ipods/iphone but could the op pick up an old generation iPod without net features and sync it with their iTunes?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is the big disadvantage with Apple. You don't actually own the music, you lease it for your lifetime & they don't let you make copies that you could use on an Android device.

As far as I know Apple still make ipods. You could buy an ipod & link it to your apple account /iTunes account. The ipod could then be docked in a music player /speaker system.

I'd be thinking that they might want to listen to different music at the same time. This could mean two ipods.

I haven't looked into iPods myself, but had suggested them to my husband as a possible solution. He said something about them being phased out, he thought. Will look again. Also, he thought the more recent iPods are enabled with a lot more internet / gaming stuff than the older ones used to be - we might be into the same problem with iPods as with phones.

The Alexa thing looks promising with the parental controls that a poster above linked to. I presume you can just stream music from spotify on Alexa - i.e. not need to use your phone.

Buying three Alexas, or iPods, isn't really budget friendly, but maybe ....

3DataModem wrote: »
    The simple solution is to give them a cheap ipod to control a bluetooth speaker (get a refurbished one on apple store).

You can create a password that disables whatever features you want. My own two kids have ipods for music and audiobooks only - calling, facetime, messaging, internet, etc are all disabled with a passcode that only I have. These are their "bedroom" devices.

Thanks, this looks promising also.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Skerries wrote: »
    do you not need to control them with your phone though?

No it has a lcd screen on it look at the evoke 3 it's what I use no phone needed

jimbev wrote: »
    No it has a lcd screen on it look at the evoke 3 it's what I use no phone needed

How would kids access their music? Does it (and maybe other cheaper models of DAB radios) stream Spotify?

• Advertisement

Just for Spotify..if there's 3 of them in 3 different rooms playing music at the same time you'll need 3 different Spotify accounts..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If you're thinking of an Echo/Alexa speaker. I'd go for a Sonos Play 1 instead - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONOS-PLAY-Smart-Wireless-Speaker-Black/dp/B00FMS1KO0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546858127&sr=8-3&keywords=sonos+play1

We have both and the sound quality of the Sonos is in a different league to the Alexa speaker

Just for Spotify..if there's 3 of them in 3 different rooms playing music at the same time you'll need 3 different Spotify accounts..

True .... there's no simple solution :confused: ....

Mind you, if we were back in cassette tape / CD times, they'd need to be swapping CDs cos we wouldn't be buying 3 copies of a CD either!

If you're thinking of an Echo/Alexa speaker. I'd go for a Sonos Play 1 instead - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONOS-PLAY-Smart-Wireless-Speaker-Black/dp/B00FMS1KO0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546858127&sr=8-3&keywords=sonos+play1

We have both and the sound quality of the Sonos is in a different league to the Alexa speaker

€138. Sorry, don't think we'll be going for that! If it was for us parents, maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

You could try sourcing an old ipod and hook it up to a speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

You need a phone to control it. Kids couldn't give 2 hoots about sound quality either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8656353/Trail/searchtext>Amazon+echo.htm

This new echo dot sounds good for its size. It might be enough and it's on offer for €37 if you/they already own speakers or headphones even, there's a 3.5mm headphone jack so you can plug it into any speaker and the music will play through that if the sound isn't good enough for them.That's what I'd be going with. It can also connect to any Bluetooth speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Going to go out on a limb here but how about a mini hi-fi, surley kids these days must think big speakers are still cool https://www.richersounds.com/pioneer-x-em16.html

Go bigger!!
    Give them the gift of enjoying and appreciating music for the sound of it rather than a lifetime of listening to crappie mp3s on crappie speakers.

Youngsters are now growing up not knowing how good music can sound because all they're listening to is tiny speakers.

dense wrote: »
    Go bigger!!
    Give them the gift of enjoying and appreciating music for the sound of it rather than a lifetime of listening to crappie mp3s on crappie speakers.

Youngsters are now growing up not knowing how good music can sound because all they're listening to is tiny speakers.

We have a great sound system in the main part of the house - they're not deprived of good sound quality! This is just looking for a (reasonably priced) solution for their bedrooms so they can access sounds, of whatever quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

dense wrote: »
    Go bigger!!

Couldn’t agree more. I teach plc students on a music performance course. Bear in mind, Music students. Into music. Plan to do it professionally. Their preferred source? Ripped YouTube audio, play through either the crappy phone speaker or cheap as possible Bluetooth earbuds.

Advertisement