Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester or Liverpool

Options
  • 24-10-2005 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Was wondering what people thought was the better city in terms of sessions,cheapness etc...

Going to go to a United match and a taxi driver said that liverpool was way better city to go out in(is it hard to get to old trafford from liverpool?)

How do ppl get their tickets those travel companies are expensive i'd rather buy flights, tickets etc seperately but most ppl i hear that go have thier "sources"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

If you know someone who knows either city that may be travelling with you, they may know the best places to go. A local or someone who knows the place well will show you the places to go. I wasn't at a match, but I was in Manchester in June. I booked my flights and accommodation on the Net. That is the way to do it. I can't advise you on match tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have a friend who goes to United games. He always flies to Liverpool because on match day in Old Trafford Ryanair hike up their prices considerably. He says you can get a train to Manchester that takes about 30 minutes and is around £10 return... although he's a student so that could be a student price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Added to that that the John Lennon International airport is 20 - 30 mins by bus to Lime Street Station.

If there's a few you you it's economical to spend the 50 sterling on a taxi from Liverpool to Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

My husband, 2 boys and I went to see Manchester United v Aston Villa in August. I tried for weeks to get tickets but couldn't. I booked flights, accomodation on the net, booked the ManU stadium tour for the day before the match - it was fantastic and I'm not really into soccer. While we were there we were able to book tickets for the game. We got very good tickets but they cost £41 each (€253 for the 4 of us). Manchester is a lovely city to get around and the people are very friendly.

I don't know about Liverpool but when we were in Manchester it would have cost £23 sterling return for the 4 of us to go to Liverpool. We're off to Manchester in March and hope to get tickets for a game.

This weekend my husband and youngest son are off to Anfield to see Liverpool v West Ham, I entered him in a newspaper competition and he won a VIP trip, flights accomodation in a top hotel, 5 course lunch in the stadium before game, seats in corporate box, dinner in a top restaurant.

They will be staying in Manchester along with the other winners and brought to Liverpool for the game. He doesn't have the rest of the details yet.

I'll be able to let you know how they get on, next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

ok thank you i am just back my self from newcastle and had a tour of the stadium and thought it was brilliant so i want to get the tour of old trafford and maybe anfield and hopefully see a match.. champions league matches at the moment seem easier to get tickets for these days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Unfortunately I haven't gone out in Mancester for a session (some day!) but Liverpool is excellent. I get the impression there's one or two different areas in Manchester for going out in so you might be better tackling it if you've someone who knows where they're going.

Liverpool is fairly straight forward for drinking in - it's handy to walk round the different areas and it's to be recommended. It's a few years since I was up there though so I may need to arrange another visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Just back from Liverpool ..... great city, mighty craic, people are dead sound.

Pints City Centre £1.19 !!!! :D

woah cool they were 3 pounds in newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Atlas_IRL wrote:
    woah cool they were 3 pounds in newcastle
    LOL, did you leave the hotel?

ye lol prices ranged from 2- 3 pounds a pint.. mostly 2:75 - 3

pretty expensive actually.. although dbl vodkas and red bull were 5 pounds which was good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Anthony Mullane

Anyone know of fans arriving into JLA today lunchtime going to Old Trafford?
    Executive VWTransporter £12 per person ,one way,we have 6 seats left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

For the craic and a session it's hard to beat Liverpool tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Unsure if you have access so soccer forum so I have posted a link in the Utd forum for you.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057998468/280/#post110942029

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Er, I'm a Scouser myself so I may be biased so I won't go into which is the better city. But travel between Liverpool and Manchester is plentiful. I've never been to Old Trafford, though, so have no idea how to get there. Both cities have a very vibrant night life, both are great for sessions and both have plenty of bars where you can get a decently priced pint, in all honesty. I'd say you could easily take in both cities on a long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Added to that that the John Lennon International airport is 20 - 30 mins by bus to Lime Street Station.

Did that bus journey a few years ago. Thought it would never end. Still, I got to meet Frank Stapleton at Old Trafford so it was worth it.

Liverpool is much better.

Manchester is good craic but not a patch on Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Liverpool is much better.

Manchester is good craic but not a patch on Liverpool.
    Grand if you cant go to Newcastle

Advertisement