15-02-2016, 18:12   #1
brianregan09

Marvel Neflix Thread

Just thought I'd start a proper thread in here for the netflix shows

Loved both seasons so far Daredevil and Jessica Jones were both great but in there own way , very different shows too and the punisher season of Daredevil looks like its going to amp it up even more
Advertisement
15-02-2016, 21:28   #2
flazio

Don't forget Luke Cage getting his own show first. Hopefully sometime before the next Sweet Christmas
Thanks from:
15-02-2016, 21:39   #3

No ones giving Iron Fist the love...
(2) thanks from:
15-02-2016, 21:45   #4
Cork_exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Wreck View Post
No ones giving Iron Fist the love...
I'm sure that there is a double-entendre there somewhere
(4) thanks from:
16-02-2016, 08:54   #5
Penn

Iron Fist will definitely be the toughest one to get right, but I have nothing but confidence in them. Daredevil and Jessica Jones were both outstanding imo, largely in part to being able to properly develop the story of the villains. The MCU has been going down this route of just killing off the villains, and given how little time is available in some of the movies to develop the villains, they just end up feeling quite bland. Incredible performances from some of them, James Spader and Guy Pierce in particular, but they're just booted away never to be seen again.

There's a reason Loki is one of the most popular characters as a whole in the MCU; his story in the films was given a proper chance to shine and because they haven't killed him off, he's been able to come back and continue his story.

But the Netflix shows have given us two incredible villains in Kingpin and Kilgrave. Both excellent performances which in many cases outshone the heroes.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2016, 11:53   #6
pixelburp

For me, Daredevil has been the strongest Marvel TV adaptation to date, to the extent that it pretty much evaporated any remaining enthusiasm I had for Agents of SHIELD. Compared with those vigorous shenanigans in Hells Kitchen, the ABC show felt flat, bland and excessively ... 'Network'y. It never managed to maintain a prolonged period of competency to keep my interest & Daredevil was a much more intriguing use of my time.

Jessica Jones on the other hand, I found pretty turgid; grimy, but not particularly compelling with a cast of characters that were either utterly unrelatable & unlikeable, or worse; just plain uninteresting. That said, Kilgrave was a masterstroke, and one of the very few genuinely villainous & threatening antagonists Marvel adaptations have managed.
(3) thanks from:
20-02-2016, 13:29   #7
brianregan09

I can't wait for Iron Fist that's the one that will be the toughest as some have said to get right but if they do it has the potential to be the best with a bit of supernatural kung fu stuff in there

Hopefully we can get a cameo of him in Luke Cage before hand or vice versa

Loved Daredevil I think getting Berenthal to play the Punisher will be a masterstroke , He's been immense in everything I've seen him in from Fury to Wolf of Wall street and played a very Punisher like character in the Walking dead as Shane and he was compelling in that , was actually sickened to see him go

I liked JJ alot it was very different yet similarish Tenant was class as the villain probably one of the best so far in a marvel adaptation
25-02-2016, 20:21   #8
Lithium93_

Game of Thrones actor Finn Jones to play Iron Fist
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25...ones-iron-fist
(2) thanks from:
25-02-2016, 20:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium93_ View Post
Game of Thrones actor Finn Jones to play Iron Fist
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25...ones-iron-fist
Needs a haircut but I can see him as Danny Rand alright! Physically, anyway. I've never seen GoT so I've no idea what he's like as an actor...
Advertisement
25-02-2016, 20:41   #10
Cork_exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Wreck View Post
Needs a haircut but I can see him as Danny Rand alright! Physically, anyway. I've never seen GoT so I've no idea what he's like as an actor...
What the holy f**k you've never seen GoT?
Thanks from:
25-02-2016, 20:42   #11
Lithium93_

I've never seen Game Of Thrones either , but I digress.
25-02-2016, 20:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork_exile View Post
What the holy f**k you've never seen GoT?
No but I feel like I have with the amount of spoilers people post openly on Facebook...
(2) thanks from:
25-02-2016, 20:52   #13
pixelburp

I'd ask why you guys hadn't even given GoT a go, but honestly I suspect I might know the why. Gave up myself after 3 seasons of it so I'm no judge.

Anyway, as for Finn Jones, he looks the part. I am curious as to whether Iron Fist will continue the broadly grittier, urban level of the other Netflix shows (I'm guessing the Luke Cage one will also, considering he's already part of Jessica Jones). Presumably it will, but honestly a tonal shift towards something lighter would be nice. The film franchises are happy to do it, wouldn't mind something more ... fun... from Netflix
25-02-2016, 21:07   #14
Mickeroo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
I'd ask why you guys hadn't even given GoT a go, but honestly I suspect I might know the why. Gave up myself after 3 seasons of it so I'm no judge.

Anyway, as for Finn Jones, he looks the part. I am curious as to whether Iron Fist will continue the broadly grittier, urban level of the other Netflix shows (I'm guessing the Luke Cage one will also, considering he's already part of Jessica Jones). Presumably it will, but honestly a tonal shift towards something lighter would be nice. The film franchises are happy to do it, wouldn't mind something more ... fun... from Netflix
There's plenty of fun in the movies, AoS and Agent Carter, the darker more adult tone of the Netflix shows is a nice change from the rest of the MCU imo.

Speaking of which I've just finished the second season of Agent Carter and it's really very good.
25-02-2016, 21:19   #15
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeroo View Post
There's plenty of fun in the movies, AoS and Agent Carter, the darker more adult tone of the Netflix shows is a nice change from the rest of the MCU imo.

Speaking of which I've just finished the second season of Agent Carter and it's really very good.
I think above all else the Marvel franchises have demonstrated an ability to mix and match genres and tonal levels on a whim, so there's no reason why the Defenders saga couldn't, or shouldn't, do the same.

Iron Fist could be a good chance to be Netflix's palette cleanser. Certainly, 'adult' shouldn't be incompatible with 'fun' & just because Netflix isn't hemmed in by the same narrative and stylistic constraints an achingly network show like Agents of Shield is, doesn't mean it shouldn't embrace a spirit of fun and adventure now and then.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion