Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree with Phantom. I got to a stage where I just couldn't be arsed anymore, and this was still relatively early. Brodude was still laid up in the shack with his leg but was making shapes about leaving. That's roughly where I was. Got some weapon, bike and sprint upgrades, but still not bothered about continuing. The story is a bit all over the place tbf, and I felt no real push to continue. And the distance you could get on a "full" tank on the bike was terrible. I know it's about zombies, but they tried to keep it real but gave you the mileage of a vehicle worse than a Bugatti Chiron for mpg, when bikes get far, far better mileage. I know why it was done, but it was too small in the beginning. I got 2 tank upgrades, and even then it was still a bit short and made it stick out.

It's my second time trying this game, and while I got a bit further, I still dropped it to play Immortals and haven't gone back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Bike fuel thing is i
    Super annoying, remember one side mission where I had to speak to lisa(I think??) drive partway there ran out of gas walked and the she speaks one line and that's it!I was foaming at the mouth after that, especially after coming such a long way.

Also every mission is some re skinned version of a another one which really gets grating considering how much fluff there is,this is specific to days gone but please can games cut down on side missions and main ones and make them more memorable.

Hordes were no challenge as well as long as you had a machine gun, pretty piss poor
    considering they were a big point for me.

Those survivors you could rescue are gas though they have no facial animations and just have one expression of pure terror constantly lol.

All in all actually loved my play through (was also my first ever platinum) would never play it again mind too much of a slog and annoyance in between the good parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,502 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As for the gas, i only ever used camp credits to keep topped up everytime i started our finished a mission. If it was a trek to the other side of the map, I'd head to the watch tower (first base) as there is always a gan of gas there. Between that and gas stations, i rarely ran out and never did once i upgraded my tank.

As for the missions, i agree there were some still pointless ones.

I remember one, i think it could be the worst mission in any game ever. Visit boozer and it's something like "how's it going boozeman?". "I got work to do!". Mission complete. My mouth was open at that I've, like what the **** was the point of that when he could have radio'd him.

I Waldo wasn't a fan of the mid game twist but some great missions came from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Zero-Cool wrote:
    I remember one, i think it could be the worst mission in any game ever. Visit boozer and it's something like "how's it going boozeman?". "I got work to do!". Mission complete. My mouth was open at that I've, like what the **** was the point of that when he could have radio'd him.

Zero-Cool wrote:
    As for the missions, i agree there were some still pointless ones.

This is what I'm talking about,so much pointless crap,I get that storylines are meant to be done over a while but they could do with streamlining
    missions so you don't get as much inane crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I always find when I try and try and try again to like a game everyone tells me I should like, it never works out. It's not that they're bad games just not for me. I have had this over and over again Bioshock, The Witcher and GTAV are all excellent games that I could never buy into.

on the other hand I get games like this or something like the division , destiny, HZD it's just the setting or the mechanics or whatever it clicks and then I could play them forever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I always find when I try and try and try again to like a game everyone tells me I should like, it never works out. It's not that they're bad games just not for me. I have had this over and over again Bioshock, The Witcher and GTAV are all excellent games that I could never buy into.

on the other hand I get games like this or something like the division , destiny, HZD it's just the setting or the mechanics or whatever it clicks and then I could play them forever

You've just got terrible taste in games and should be beaten to death with copies of Dark Souls and Katamari Damacy.

And that's the special edition of dark souls with the Solaire figurine to add some extra heft.

I'm off to play Warzone now for eight hours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm off to play Warzone now for eight hours

:D

Warzone is actually a guilty pleasure but don't tell anyone

I'm horrified a gaming connoisseur such as yourself would debase themselves in warzone :)
    but yeah when it goes well it's great, I still need to rank up the DMR until they really nerf it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You've just got terrible taste in games and should be beaten to death with copies of Dark Souls and Katamari Damacy.

And that's the special edition of dark souls with the Solaire figurine to add some extra heft.

A Dark Souls game with a figurine? Tell me moar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,502 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I came in here to give out to people about not discussing days gone but us warzone really that good? I played a few games, got wrecked and uninstalled it. Do ye play with mostly solo or with fwends? Is that the game that has matchmaking to put people with similar level in the same game?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    A Dark Souls game with a figurine? Tell me moar.

Every time you go to open the box, you get stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

Few hours into this and really liking it . But Is it just me or has it totally ripped off the last of us a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

brady12 wrote: »
    Few hours into this and really liking it . But Is it just me or has it totally ripped off the last of us a lot?

Vastly different games i feel, both tonally and play wise. The only similarity really is the post apocalyptic / zombie setting. TLOU is infinitely superior imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McFly85

Been playing this the last week or so and really enjoying it. The gameplay has been done in other games but I think it’s done really well here-I use crafting more than I do in other games, and I love upgrading my bike. I actually like a lot of the characters too.

The petrol thing was annoying at first but you get used to stopping and refuelling at camps, hasn’t been an issue for me for ages. I just wish I could put guns I find in the locker.

It’s unfair to compare it to TLOU but I think I have more fun in Days Gone. TLOU has better high points but it’s very restricted, and there’s not enough of them IMO. In Days Gone I like just getting on my bike and looking for camps and nests to clear out!

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I came in here to give out to people about not discussing days gone but us warzone really that good? I played a few games, got wrecked and uninstalled it. Do ye play with mostly solo or with fwends? Is that the game that has matchmaking to put people with similar level in the same game?

It's brilliant with friends, rather more testing with randoms and utterly terrifying solo. I've won a solo game (multiple seconds) and 18 in all not including several mini wins. You should eventually find a level where you can compete thanks to the skill based matchmaking. For me online fps' are, by far, the most rewarding and frustrating gaming experiences.

back on topic I'd agree it's unfair to compare this to TLOU. Ok it's a third person zombie looter shooter in the same vein but something's not bad just because something else is better.

Few hours in but I think this game unreal . Hopefully doesn't get too repetitive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McFly85

Just finished this this morning, have to say as a game I would have never bought after reading the reviews(and only tried because it was free) I really enjoyed it. It was longer than I expected it to be(a few times it felt like it was nearing the end and it kept going) but I wasn’t desperate for it to finish.

There wasn’t too much in the way of variety in missions but they were generally fun. Horde battles though I thought were fantastic. I loved planning routes to try and bring them through and there were some genuinely tense moments escaping after backing myself into a corner!

If there was to be a sequel I’d definitely play it. I’d like to see more varied missions, a better upgrade system for the bike where you can find parts to upgrade out in the map instead of having to unlock them with trust, and I’d love to see part of the map be a ruined city. Whatever it is though I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on it!

Few hours in but I think this game unreal . Hopefully doesn't get too repetitive

I'm now 15 hours in . I still can't understand how this game reviewed so badly . I haven't enjoyed a game this much since RDR 2.

So after about 60 hours I'm after finishing the main story . WHAT A GAME ! 10/10 . Honestly in my top 5 games ever I'd say . I still have maybe 8 Camp missions and loads hordes tackle so I'm going keep playing it . Loved the story , characters and world . The missions were a bit repetitive but I loved tackling enemy encampments , especially later on when I was over powered with silenced sniper rifle with a big magazine . Some of the cut scenes were a bit cringe . Just wanted say THANK YOU to anyone that hyped up game here cos if I payed attention to the reviews I would never played it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

So after about 60 hours I'm after finishing the main story . WHAT A GAME ! 10/10 . Honestly in my top 5 games ever I'd say . I still have maybe 8 Camp missions and loads hordes tackle so I'm going keep playing it . Loved the story , characters and world . The missions were a bit repetitive but I loved tackling enemy encampments , especially later on when I was over powered with silenced sniper rifle with a big magazine . Some of the cut scenes were a bit cringe . Just wanted say THANK YOU to anyone that hyped up game here cos if I payed attention to the reviews I would never played it ...

I'm still delighted to see someone give this game a real go and then get the reward.

If you were to make a college course on how to write for video games it should use this game. I don't think I've seen a game handle exposition better. The way the world and characters are built by stuff going on in the background and not forced into either cut scenes, side quests, or in sections of downtime where the lead characters talk, is great and really rewards exploring.

I remember a big reveal about one of the camp's happening because I was gone to make a cup of tea wearing my headset and could over hear some random npc walk by whispering to his friend about being held against his will.

It was a real oh **** moment of realisation, What seemed like a great camp that helped people, turned out to be the complete opposite but this wasn't revealed in the story until hours later. But the writers had left that random nugget just floating in the background.

If I had fast travelled, or had even driven away that storyline would have been completely changed for me.

It doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

5 minutes in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It doesn't

It does.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ok so how many hours in?

I only played the first hour or so of the game, but I doubt there's a reasonable enough answer to your question considering it's open world and story quality is subjective. Some might think the story gets good at a certain point, other might think it gets good at a later plot point, and both could have wildly different playtimes of getting to those points through either belting on with the story or doing a bunch of side stuff in-between.

It's not David Cage bad despite having some moments that straddle that line in terms of laughable writing. It's also not so bad that it will ruin the game if you are enjoying it. It keeps it ticking over but it's standard generic dubious organisations that caused it and discovering all this stuff you could have guessed hours beforehand stuff. It's not exactly TLOU.

Advertisement