Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

AMKC wrote:
    Sure he said that last week too and nothing happened.

He's bound to be right sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He's bound to be right sometime

I think Space X and Elon Musk are been more cautious now because they got the Moon lander contract so they want to do it right hopefully and then progress and get better from there on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

So SN15/16/17 all now have FAA approval. Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Potential flight today, No evac notice for Mary yet but they installed the FTS which is usually a good sign.

I think they're waiting on weather for a go/no-go

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The return of crew dragon 1 which was meant to be tonight is being moved to tomorrow due to unfavourable winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Shlippery wrote: »
    Potential flight today, No evac notice for Mary yet but they installed the FTS which is usually a good sign.

I think they're waiting on weather for a go/no-go

Looking at the videos on YouTube it's now scrubbed for today

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And we have undocking of crew dragon from the ISS at 1:35am Irish time. Six and a half hours till splashdown so about 7am Irish time for splashdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Looks like they are going for it tomorrow. Road closures and alerts etc in place. Perfect viewing for Starwars day

Starship & Starlink today, exciting.

Woulda been nice for the miserable bank holiday yesterday - today I'll have to be distracted from work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

What are peoples opinions on a successful landing of SN15?

I give it 80% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

.42. wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on a successful landing of SN15?

I give it 80% :D

Based on past performance ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

josip wrote: »
    Based on past performance ? :)

Lol. I think SN15 has a lot of upgrades compared to previous SNs

Not sure about the legs.

Ms

Well it has been scrubbed for today so I guess the Force is not with space X. Maybe tomorrow. Certainly taking there time with this one. How long has it been now since SN 11 was launched and crashed in the fog?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Scrub a dub dub!

SN11 about a month ago now I'd say!

Hopefully every delay is one more minor thing they can tweak for potential landing success!

Shlippery wrote:
    Hopefully every delay is one more minor thing they can tweak for potential landing success!

Weather today id say

Ms

Are Space X incompetent? It's not like they are trying to send this rocket to space they are not even going up very high only 10000km then back again. Yes ok the landing bit is new but that is it.
    They should have launched today then 16 tomorrow and 17 on Thursday that would have got the worlds attention and they should be aiming to go higher each time too even if only at 5000km extra each time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Are Space X incompetent? It's not like they are trying to send this rocket to space they are not even going up very high only 10000km then back again. Yes ok the landing bit is new but that is it.
    They should have launched today then 16 tomorrow and 17 on Thursday that would have got the worlds attention and they should be aiming to go higher each time too even if only at 5000km extra each time.

Best tweet that Elon, I'm sure no one thought of that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mr Bezos sent New Shepard to 100.5Km six years ago. And to 106km a fortnight ago. And is looking to use other peoples rockets to launch his satellites.

SLS which started life as a shuttle derivative back in the 1970s can be looked at as everything was tested, including using bits that have been to orbit and back OR nothing has been tested because it'll have a payload on the first flight instead of concrete weights.

Besides terminal velocity is what matters at this point in the development. It won't be landing any faster if it goes higher. Unless it goes nose down. And it won't be taking off with extra flammables and extra engines for the extra weight yet. What is it 600 tonnes of propellant max load ? That's about the low end of a Dial A Yield Nuke.

once you get the landing right you can do more tests with more engines and other expensive bits. And they still have to do tests on the first stage too.

Ms

jogdish wrote: »
    Best tweet that Elon, I'm sure no one thought of that.

Lol.

Do Space X lack confidence then?

They missed a big opportunity yesterday to launch SN15 on Star Wars day and I would say upset or disapointed a lot of people.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Lol.

They missed a big opportunity yesterday to launch SN15 on Star Wars day and I would say upset or disappointed a lot of people.
    Why would they care, there could be a whole lot of reasons. Starship is only looked at by the likes of us, who will watch regardless and by contractors like NASA, US gov who probably don't care about a day here or there to make sure this or that was working.

Then again, it could just have been weather, who knows. It's annoying as a spectator for sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lol.

They missed a big opportunity yesterday to launch SN15 on Star Wars day and I would say upset or disapointed a lot of people.
    It would only upset the sort of people who got the first space shuttle named Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Im actually thinking the exact opposite, it seems to me there are quite a few problems with these raptor engines, and I wonder why they don't try to work on these issues and develop the technology a bit more first before sending up these prototypes and have them crashing back down again causing more costs and bad publicity for them.

Ms

Looks like today might end up being scrubbed too as its quiet windy out there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Mm..maybe things are better now, apparently sheriff is out clearing the beach and areas.. so some form of activity according to NSF now!

Lets see!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPNvB5ComFw

Crane is up now. Letting flaps breath or FTS time?

Mary off to viewing area! Looks like we're _on_!

had the stream on since 2pm, I still don't know but seems to be progressing - odd given that the weather was better yesterday ? I see Tim has a co host now, I see cannot get over the revenue !

Pad un-clear, and a 'raptor' trailer on the way back.

Not ideal

Shlippery wrote: »

Not ideal
    Just saw the cars, ouch did not catch that raptor detail.

Shlippery wrote:

It's just a service trailer. Could be a sensor or a switch

• Advertisement

It's just a service trailer. Could be a sensor or a switch

Yea, NSF clarified there that it's probs just holding tools. hopefully just a minor blip.

Hopefully they can clear out again and get us back on track..still 3/4 hours left in the window I believe so could be up a while yet!

EDIT: They're all leaving again! woohoo

Farm activity...looks like it's ON!

Advertisement