Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MRI alternatives

Options
  • 10-03-2021 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey just wondering if someone could enlighten me on possible alternatives to MRI as i suffer from claustrophobia.

I actually did an mri in 2018 for my lower back but have been unable now twice to get it done again couldnt make it past the front door the last time.

I am very against taking a sedative etc for a personal reasons when i was taking valium years ago.

Is there alternatives to MRI? Is there an upright mri scanner in the state cant find any info to confirm or deny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Not aware of any open mri in Ireland. The image quality is inferior also so may not be of benefit. You could ask about ultrasound or if a general xray would be informative enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

Forget to add it’s for my back possible slipped disc

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

Forget to add it’s for my back possible slipped disc

I had a mri last month for the same problem and my head was outside the machine.They put me in legs first up to the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

Bailey43 wrote: »
    I had a mri last month for the same problem and my head was outside the machine.They put me in legs first up to the chest.

I was told my head would be inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

There are several open bore and wide bore MRIs around Ireland. Ring some of those scanning centres and make inquiries. There were a couple of fully open MRI machines around, including at the South Infirmary in Cork, but I think they maybe gone due to the evolution of open bore and wide bore machines offering similar levels of comfort but with far better resolution.

Also some machine designs are far better in terms of interior lighting, comfort and noise isolation.

You’d be best to talk to one of the bigger commercial scan operators in Dublin or Cork and see what’s possible. They often have more choices of machines available to them.

The more traditional 60cm closed bore still produces by far best images though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

I was told my head would be inside

They must be doing a full neck to waist so.I had the neck done before Christmas so maybe that's why I only got the chest down done for another problem

Advertisement