Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think if you told that you had a terminal disease that you try enjoy life?

Options
  • 26-09-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So if you were told you had a terminal disease and say only 6 month to a year left that you could enjoy life still. Say you had plenty of money and the doctor said you should enjoy the time you have left. Would you and could you?
    I am not sure I could. I would be more concerned with been comfortable and relaxing at home. Maybe go swimming if I could and for nice walks in forests and along the beach.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

100%

Not entirely sure exactly what I'd do but I'd be a lot less sedentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My dad was told he was terminally ill, that he probably had a year to live (he actually lasted nearly two and a bit). He wallowed for a few (about 6) months and completely acted ill, and did nothing but feel sorry for himself (which is feckin understandable), even though he was actually quite well in himself and pain well controlled.

Then he just thought feck it, and for another year he went off on holidays by himself, and started to restore an old car and filled his days, it was only the last 3 or 4 months did he really become unwell and couldn't really do much. He really did enjoy that year before the end.

He kicked himself for those "wasted" six months, and I'd hope if I am unfortunate enough to end up in his position id follow his lesson learnt.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Shouldn't you try and enjoy life anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Shouldn't you try and enjoy life anyway?

Exactly
    Not to be glib about it, but we're all terminally ill.

Putting a more or less exactly determined length on the time you have left surely puts things into focus, but for general outlook on life it does no harm to remind yourself that you will not live forever and perhaps focus on the moment a bit more and get more out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

peasant wrote: »
    Exactly

Putting a more or less exactly determined length on the time you have left surely puts things into focus, but for general outlook on life it does no harm to remind yourself that you will not live forever and perhaps focus on the moment a bit more and get more out of it.

Excuse me, I prefer to be called permanently banjaxed thank you very much.. ..

Nonetheless, good point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,072 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

AMKC wrote: »
    So if you were told you had a terminal disease and say only 6 month to a year left that you could enjoy life still. Say you had plenty of money and the doctor said you should enjoy the time you have left. Would you and could you?
    I am not sure I could. I would be more concerned with been comfortable and relaxing at home. Maybe go swimming if I could and for nice walks in forests and along the beach.

Absolutely, I would.

That said, it would depend on how I was going to die. Slow and painful and, or quick and piped up on morphine.

Knowing mny luck, thoough, I'd be told two days before the start of a pandemic and a mandatory six-month lockdown quarantine.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Absolutely, I would.

That said, it would depend on how I was going to die. Slow and painful and, or quick and piped up on morphine.

Knowing mny luck, thoough, I'd be told two days before the start of a pandemic and a mandatory six-month lockdown quarantine.
    Exactly why assisted suicide needs to be made legal. I'll be f*cked if I'm gonna waste away slowly as my body degrades over time, losing my dignity, independence and my soul in the process. Either kill me legally, or I'll go sky diving and cut the parashoot before I jump - living like never before and instantly dying on impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

jaxxx wrote: »
    Exactly why assisted suicide needs to be made legal. I'll be f*cked if I'm gonna waste away slowly as my body degrades over time, losing my dignity, independence and my soul in the process. Either kill me legally, or I'll go sky diving and cut the parashoot before I jump - living like never before and instantly dying on impact.

Who gets to clean up what's left of you ? Asking for a friend.

I don't think he means literally, but that's another argument in favour of assisted suicide!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Its hard to know because i dont have family but I think it would be best to spend time with loved one and maybe do things with your kids, make a really intricate Lego set or scaletritrix or something.
    Sorry to be a buzz killington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There's not much I'd do differently to what I'm doing right now tbh.
    I've got good family(the ones I talk to) good friends and I've gotten many of my bucket list items already ticked off.

As long as I go out without too much regret, I'll go happy.

I don't think he means literally, but that's another argument in favour of assisted suicide!

No , I'd like to think he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Exactly

Not in the sense the OP and others mean it. Not by any means.

There is a huge difference between being alive, limited as we are by time, and being actually terminally ill. Knowing the date and time is a hard thing that we can use IF we stay well enough to do that.

jaxxx wrote: »

Assisted suicide should be 100% legalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Exactly
    I think that's an unfair way of putting it, on those who have a terminal illness.

I don't know what I'd do. Nobody does unless they're in the situation. It's one of those things that's too horrific to be able to know. I might be so frozen with fear and devastation that I might not have the energy to do anything. I might succumb to deep depression. Or maybe the illness itself might impair the patient from doing all those bucket list things.

I think anyone would make the most of their remaining time if they could though. It would only be natural to think that way.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 Airbus507

We're all dying of a terminal illness, it's called life. The only sensible way to approach life is to focus on enjoying the experience of life. If you're not enjoying the experience of life then what's the point.

Learn to stop being so serious all the time and have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I enjoy life, and I also look forward to death... (It's inevitable and for all we know, it could be something great - so why not embrace death and see it as a positive thing at the end of a happy life?)

So it wouldn't really impact me all that much. It would be more the people around me that I would feel bad for, as most people don't handle death and dying very well.

No , I'd like to think he does.

What about him makes you think he does? Do you know him? For me, it's just an unnesecarily legnthy way to go about it and very few suicides do.

Anyway, if you're right and he does - then it makes other arugment in favour of assisted suicide.

What about him makes you think he does? Do you know him? For me, it's just an unnesecarily legnthy way to go about it and very few suicides do.

Anyway, if you're right and he does - then it makes other arugment in favour of assisted suicide.

Its AH , dont take yourself so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd make sure to land in the back garden of someone I don't like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Those who have a terminal illness definitely need people who don't have a terminal illness telling folk how to think about death. :)

Its AH , dont take yourself so serious.

Said the guy who's worried where the parachute jumper's gonna land!! :)

From the princess who believes what I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jimmy Twotimes

I'd go full vigilante and start killing pedos and drug dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I think I would go on a massive bender, drugs, sex the whole shebang and fu¢k whatever ever diseases I get (I'd fu¢k my way through Thailand in a massive drugged up haze). But for the dictors sake he better hope his prognosis was right (i know of a man who was given 6 months to live, and he overcame his illness leaving him with a massive death). After my bender was over for the last few weeks I start talking to god ( my soul is already indebted to old Nick) just in case he does exist so he might give me a free pardon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't think he meant literally...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Can't say how I'd react in reality, obviously, but I'd like to think it would stop a lot of anxieties from running my life. Like none of that would matter anymore. I've been dealing with suicidal thinking for the majority of my life, so it would simplify things for me I think.

I'd probably get braver than I've ever been, and do the things that scared me. If i had the money OP proposes in their scenario I'd travel as much as possible by myself, and spend it on experiences. Drugs too:)

That'd probably be the height of it. No hospitals or hospices if I could help it. Once my quality of life was gone, I'd be goneski too.
    Dignitas all the way, if we haven't legislated for the right to die by then.
    Failing Dignitas taking me... the parachute option above may interest me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

No he meant liberally... as in all over the place! :pac:

My body would eventually be found in a cheap hotel room, under a pile of hookers and coke.

• Advertisement

I dont' think you mean that literally, either.

Advertisement