Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Solicitor costs?

Options
  • 23-09-2020 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am due in court regarding a criminal case against myself.
    Its my first offence and having spoken to my solicitor who I have used on various civil matters, I have been given a quote of 15k + VAT.

This is just the part where I plead against the charges.
    They need to attend twice - the first to adjourn as I unable to be there (self isolation) and the second with me there

Is that a fair price? I thought it would be that high if I got a barrister involved in the circuit court, not for the early stuff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Did they supply a breakdown of costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nameloc

no, just that the fee for attending the initial hearing and the follow up would be 15k + VAT

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's not €15,000? €1,500 maybe?

It depends on the kind of case and what's involved whether or not it is reasonable. I'd say unless it's a murder charge, €15,000 is probably a little OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

LOL, I was going to ask who he murdered.
    OP, can you afford €15K. Can you apply for legal aid. Even TD's can get it IIRC.

Nameloc wrote: »
    Its my first offence and having spoken to my solicitor who I have used on various civil matters, I have been given a quote of 15k + VAT.

They need to attend twice - the first to adjourn as I unable to be there (self isolation) and the second with me there

Is that a fair price? I thought it would be that high if I got a barrister involved in the circuit court, not for the early stuff

Couldn't be right. No way. 1500 would be closer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Nameloc

Its an attempted fraud case (stupid mistake) which I intend on pleading guilty to.
    I can 'technically' afford it, but thats money for a house I'm trying to buy and thats just the initial hearing. If they take it to circuit, then I definitely cannot afford it with the barristers etc

I've gone back to them to see (hope) it was a typo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Thread does not usually discuss legal fees, so suggest you ask around.
    You mention "attempted fraud". A conviction for that could adversely affect you in many ways - ability to borrow, to get a job where you have to be trustworthy, to get a visa, enter into contracts, get AGS vetting etc and to carry on business generally.
    You need an experienced and able legal team. Your solicitor will negotiate with your proposed barrister. You may be able to get legal aid. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nameloc wrote: »

It's outrageously expensive if merely in the district courts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

If your pleading guilty, just arrive and plead yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Have you applied for Legal Aid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If your pleading guilty, just arrive and plead yourself

This could be a precarious route.

1. We don't know if the OP is actually guilty. Some people can be convinced / convince themselves they are guilty, when they aren't.
    2. The OP likely doesn't know how to plea mitigation.
    3. The judge may look unfavourably on an unrepresented accused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

This seems like a huge amount of money.

Can you confirm:

1. That this is only the fee payable to the solicitor, and does not include Counsel (ie a barrister)?
    2. It's a circuit court case?
    3. You're pleading guilty?

I think the solicitor might err on the side of caution and give you a higher initial estimate if you were contesting the claim, and it was likely to get very complicated and so require a huge legal team going to the High Court, Court of Appeal etc etc.

Advertisement