Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uses for Crab Apples

Options
  • 20-09-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭

I've a huge glut of crab apples this year. A relative has taken her usual quantity for crab apple jelly but I'm left with bucket loads. Has anybody any ideas for other uses? I'll have plenty of cooking and eating apples shortly but hate to throw away these crabs.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cider?
    juicing them can be a pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

Cider no
    Jelly yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Think yourself lucky. We have 7kg sloes, 3 kg rosehip, 3 kg elderberry, 13 kg blackberry, 8 kg rowan Berry and 4 crates of crabapple

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Besides Jelly, I've made pickled crab apples, and crab apple liqueur,( Gin or Vodka,) and chutney.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Think yourself lucky. We have 7kg sloes, 3 kg rosehip, 3 kg elderberry, 13 kg blackberry, 8 kg rowan Berry and 4 crates of crabapple
    Not sure if you could use the crab apples for it, I usually use bramleys, but you could make sloe jelly and rowan jelly with the berries, and sloe gin of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

sdp wrote: »
    Besides Jelly, I've made pickled crab apples, and crab apple liqueur,( Gin or Vodka,) and chutney.

The chutney sounds like a possibility!

I saw nice Kelly's. Crab and mint, crab and orange, crab and sloe.. Crab and anything else you want.

I ordered 48 more jars last night.
    I've 16 jars of blackberry jam
    3 bottles of elderberry syrup
    10 jars of rowan and apple jelly(some with rosemary)
    9l of blackberry wine

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

13kg of blackberries?! That's a lot of blackberries!

legend99 wrote: »
    13kg of blackberries?! That's a lot of blackberries!

We got over a kilo from our back garden and didn't get them all

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

We got over a kilo from our back garden and didn't get them all

That sounds like an excellent return. I must look into getting some plants so - return from the apple trees and pear tree here is pretty sparse - I think a total of 15 pears on the pear tree which isn't great

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

rje66 wrote: »
    Cider no
    Jelly yes

You can certainly make cider from crab apples, see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/using-crabapples-in-cider.232884/ for some further discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Or also if you don't really need them you can just leave them for the birds!

legend99 wrote: »
    That sounds like an excellent return. I must look into getting some plants so - return from the apple trees and pear tree here is pretty sparse - I think a total of 15 pears on the pear tree which isn't great

My back garden is nearly 5 acres :)

Made a crab apple and mint jelly this evening

Advertisement