Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Receives Electric Shock from Damaged Lamp-Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

So, despite being warned by his parents to stay away from the post as it was a danger due to vandalism he still interfered with it, but it's the esb's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'll take the bait....

So, he's claiming that he suffers with the limb that grabbed the fuse all those years ago. Does that not suggest a physical abnormality that is a remnant from physical damage caused by electricity passing through the limb?

Has "your friend" had any scans/investigation to show that he has a physical abnormality in this limb, in the first instance.

If so, has the medical practitioner offered any opinion for the reason why this abnormality may exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It's not an exam question.

If it is not an exam question, it is a sample exam question. Do your own homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Electronic Writer

If he has had accidents since the first event, how can he prove the first event caused the issues he is experiencing.

Everybody has accidents. Indeed , how can he prove .......... he knows what began that day ........... interestingly if he were to approach a GP and say he had a pain in his knee , a cert would be proof of a pain in the knee but the doctor is gifted with the blessing of declaration of proof even if it is a ly.
    Children hide secrets, so how do we know that this person - as a child - didn’t cause the ESB pole to be tampered with ? And how do we know that they were electrocuted.... there is no proof....without proof, they could have made the story up.

He didn't damage the pole. As a theory , because his parents had told kids to stop vandalising the pole maybe he was tricked into being electrocuted.
    To put it as simple as possible, if you are going to sue anyone, you want to prove your version of events, if you cannot prove anything, you cannot attempt to sue a person or a business. Anyone can give great detail of an event, it doesn’t mean the event happened.

Yes , I went to town today , I can't prove it. Proof by belief is not proof , proof by accident could be , did I see you there ? I passed by the CCJ , was that you and your tripod. I thought I'd go over and see , then ................ on I passed .
    Pub talk is an expression for someone giving advice which may not be correct, and in most cases is the wrong advice.

Sounds like personal opinion to me .
    ???

If you load a camel with straw one piece by one piece , at a point in time he will collapse under the load . He has had more than enough . Metaphorically , the expression has evolved that there is a straw that breaks the camels back . Here , that is an event which the man concludes is enough . That event , if you read all the thread , and you probably have , was attempting to eat some food and just missing his eye with a fork as his tremor in his arm jerked.

And no adult was aware of this happening or noticed any change in the child afterwards, scarring,shaking etc?

As has been said , adults did notice the child . As an example he was offered whiskey by alcoholics who thought he was cold . It became easier to agree with such souls that he was cold than to explain he had received an electric shock and had been shaking ever since .

• Advertisement

How well do you know this person? You started the thread by saying "A man I know knows a man" but you seem to have a lot of detail about him. Very odd. Do you have a college assignment coming up or something?

I know the person as well as he could ever be known.

Very odd , does that imply unusual to the point of belief ?

I don't attend college . My college days are in the past .

Notmything wrote: »
    So, despite being warned by his parents to stay away from the post as it was a danger due to vandalism he still interfered with it, but it's the esb's fault.

Yes , he had no idea what electricity could do , was not aware of any danger to himself , just tried to remove a fuse and the rest is history .

It's the ESB's fault ?????????

I don't know , but is it the childs fault ? Damaged lamp - post , inadequate repairs , open cover , children playing , severe shock is life changing .

Would you agree that this scenario is either an elaborate lie or the total truth ?

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'll take the bait....

So, he's claiming that he suffers with the limb that grabbed the fuse all those years ago. Does that not suggest a physical abnormality that is a remnant from physical damage caused by electricity passing through the limb?

Has "your friend" had any scans/investigation to show that he has a physical abnormality in this limb, in the first instance.

If so, has the medical practitioner offered any opinion for the reason why this abnormality may exist?

Video can be provided at any time from multiple cameras at different angles showing the man lifting a cup of water.

If a medical practitioner thinks that what he sees is normal then he would not be a medical practitioner for long .

More than interestingly , the man has had numerous GP's over the years who tend to say nothing upon what they observe . I'm sure if he were to pop down to the private clinic he would have a line of GP's willing to consider his ailments for a few bob .

If it is not an exam question, it is a sample exam question. Do your own homework.

Neither , just the truth .

Just to ask , who in the name of fcuk gives homework like this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 04581466

I know the person as well as he could ever be known.

But you said a man you know knows this person in your opening post? You don't directly know this person as per your opening statement on the thread so you cannot possibly know him as well as he could ever be known - that implies he is one of your closest mutual friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Rather than beating around the bush why don't you book an appointment with a solicitor and figure out with them if compensation can be sought? Otherwise it's only all academic.

04581466 wrote: »
    But you said a man you know knows this person in your opening post? You don't directly know this person as per your opening statement on the thread so you cannot possibly know him as well as he could ever be known - that implies he is one of your closest mutual friends.

How well do you know yourself ? Do you know yourself as well as you could ever be known ?

Rather than beating around the bush why don't you book an appointment with a solicitor and figure out with them if compensation can be sought? Otherwise it's only all academic.

Thanks Supersonic .

Yes , he had no idea what electricity could do , was not aware of any danger to himself , just tried to remove a fuse and the rest is history .

It's the ESB's fault ?????????

I don't know , but is it the childs fault ? Damaged lamp - post , inadequate repairs , open cover , children playing , severe shock is life changing .

Would you agree that this scenario is either an elaborate lie or the total truth ?

He had no idea what electricity was? Tbh I'm starting to think this is an elaborate wind up.
    I would blame him for interfering with the pole despite being told not to. I would blame his parents for not supervising him when they were aware that an electric pole had been vandalised and posed a risk. I would blame his friend who convinced him to help remove a fuze. I would not blame the ESB, they put a cover on the damaged part and would have arranged a proper repair.

He had no idea what electricity was? Tbh I'm starting to think this is an elaborate wind up.

Well , he had a lack of knowledge that he could not have had at the time . Electricity became well understood from then onwards .
    I would blame him for interfering with the pole despite being told not to. I would blame his parents for not supervising him when they were aware that an electric pole had been vandalised and posed a risk.

The ESB or local authority didn't fix problems then like they do now. Compo culture probably woke them up .
    I would blame his friend who convinced him to help remove a fuze. I would not blame the ESB, they put a cover on the damaged part and would have arranged a proper repair.

I'd accept friend as he would be given the benefit of the doubt as to whether he understood electric shock . In my opinion a proper repair would have been a repair to the locking mechanism and not two stainless steel bands put around the top and bottom of the cover. You might think they arranged a proper repair but they didn't . If they did then the kids would not have removed the cover from the lamp-post . If it's not kid proof it's not proper .

I think my original question has been answered .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Can you tell us what this man had for breakfast this morning? You seem to know just about everything else about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's not an exam question.

A child received an electric shock from a lamp-post when he was approximately 8 years old. The lamp-post was situated at the roadside outside his parents house. He had been told on multiple occasions to stay away from the lamp-post by his parents who watched as children and youths vandalised it on multiple occasions. The relevant authority had implemented makeshift repairs by placing stainless steel straps around the top and the bottom of the cover.

These had been vandalised easily. When the child was playing near the lamp-post another child had approached him explaining he had a difficulty trying to twist off a fuse holder. The child, held the fuse holder in his right hand and immediately received an electric shock. He was unable to release the fuse holder easily as his hand was stuck to it.

He could not hear much which is comparable to being under water in a swimming pool. He managed to force his hand open and released the fuse holder. Suddenly his hearing returned like a crowd had suddenly started shouting.

2 mins later he was lying on a bed and " fell asleep ". When he awoke he stood up and has been shaking ever since.

so his hand has been shaking since he was 8 years old and his parents didn't notice?

Tork wrote: »
    Can you tell us what this man had for breakfast this morning? You seem to know just about everything else about him.

No, apparently he got out of bed just before lunchtime, so he didn't have breakfast this morning.

All of which confirms to me that this thread is a wind up.

so his hand has been shaking since he was 8 years old and his parents didn't notice?

No.

They just did not attribute any difference to the event which they knew nothing about. Of course this child can not know what people thought but from what has been said to him over years he assumes that like many other people they found adequate explanation in thinking he was possibly cold , nervous , afraid , etc and as he got older explanations of a few too many when he'd had only a few seemed plausible .

He was happy to let people think what they wanted to think as long as he had no blame for being at the lamp-post .

.......................................................................................................

As OP , my original question has been answered and I think more than enough information is in the thread for people to decide their opinions and if they want , then to give them . So , I will not be answering any more questions .

Electronic Writer

• Advertisement

All of which confirms to me that this thread is a wind up.

Last comment for you Tork , seeing as how I'm here now ,

A wind up is an attempt to deceive people about the truth . This person at his age has no intention of deception .

Last comment for you Tork , seeing as how I'm here now ,

A wind up is an attempt to deceive people about the truth . This person at his age has no intention of deception .

Oh I think there's no shortage of deception going on here.

OK I think there's no shortage of deception going on here.

Prove it ! Give detailed argument of why ? Open that argument to detailed scrutiny by everybody . Don't conclude with no basis of argument . In the end , you could have it accepted that you can prove it , but it would be wrong , as only the truth can be proven , anything can be believed . You , Tork can only find belief with a view like this , I will always know the proof .

Prove it ! Give detailed argument of why ? Open that argument to detailed scrutiny by everybody . Don't conclude with no basis of argument . In the end , you could have it accepted that you can prove it , but it would be wrong , as only the truth can be proven , anything can be believed . You , Tork can only find belief with a view like this , I will always know the proof .

You're asking someone to prove this thread is a wind up yet you want us to believe that the person involved suffered life changing injuries without any proof other than their say so.

You're asking someone to prove this thread is a wind up yet you want us to believe that the person involved suffered life changing injuries without any proof other than their say so.

I'm asking why the person thinks it's a wind up . Elaborate why , explain why , a lot of what's been said from people has been elaborated upon and explained by me .

Do the same .

What do you call proof ? I'll give you a hypothetical .

A man goes to the doctor and says I have a pain in my knee . The doctor gives him a certificate on the basis that he believes the man to have a pain in his knee . The doctor can't see the pain , feel the pain or measure the pain . The man uses the certificate as part proof that he had a pain in his knee . Those who believe think the man has proven he has a pain in his knee because he has a certificate , not because he has proven he has pain .

Define proof ?

Let's say we all meet in the pub in Dun Laoire for dinner on Sunday . At the end of dinner we will take a secret vote from everybody present as to who is the most likely person to have received an electric shock based on personal observations . Yourself and Tork can go halves on paying the bill if I do receive 95 percent of the votes other than yourself and Tork . Would you be confident of keeping your money based on being confronted with hard proof of your own eyes ?

And that's it lads , end of , unless Tork or sidekick has something to say.

So have you met this person? Why are you able to explain in such clear detail everything that happened? What have you to gain out of this?

So have you met this person? Why are you able to explain in such clear detail everything that happened? What have you to gain out of this?

Tork , You explain what is a wind up , what is the deception , what is the fraud , what is the potential perjurious information , think about it and give us more than a couple of one liners , you are the last to continue this discussion with me .

I am the person Tork . A man I know , me , knows a man , me ...............................................

I know myself , do you know yourself ? Do you want to bring a grand with you to Dun Laoire on Sunday to pay the bill ?

I'm not going to engage in further in this and turn the thread into a train wreck. Good luck with the legal advice.

I'm not going to engage in further in this and turn the thread into a train wreck. Good luck with the legal advice.

Tork , your problem is you refuse to backup your assertions , so they have the status of the flip of a coin . a guess .

Luck will play no part in furthering my future .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your use of punctuation is preventing me contributing to this thread anymore. Best of luck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement