Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think Matt and Noel worked really well together. Matt was genuinely funny in some parts (and yes, a bit forced in others).

I think the Boris opening was kind of bad timing after Boris' real address that happened just before...

Pineapple upside down cake... upside down on the floor. Great TV. :o

I liked Lottie and Sura, but they've got a great mix of people all round.

I like the posh bloke who plays the flute.

181 people watching the most light hearted show on TV found a reason to complain. :o

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/tv/great-british-bake-debut-hit-18983200

"181 complaints about last night's GBBO return - with the "vast majority" referring to a sketch mimicking the Prime Minister's recent press conferences." :)

^^^^^ soggy bottomers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Some people just watch TV to find something to complain about!
    Quite liking Matt. Wasn't sure I would but Sandi is now a distant memory :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Still feel like I'm being unfaithful to Mary Berry by watching C4 Bakeoff but have to say that I really enjoyed last night. I liked Matt and the bakers seemed to like him. I liked Lottie and I think she might get THE handshake from Sir Hollywood. Good mix of bakers and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I like Sandi but not on Bake Off. I’m liking Matt as a replacement but it’s obviously early days.

I thought it was a shame Loreya went. She had a bit of wit to her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That was a fun episode, great to have the Bake Off back in all it's soggy-bottomed glory :pac: I like all of them so far, none of them seem annoying or nasty though I think Dave (the guy whose cake ended up on the floor?) might be a bit dour and the least craic of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Extra slice is on tonight. On the fence about the programme TBH. Tom Allen is back - grates a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Mr E wrote: »
    181 people watching the most light hearted show on TV found a reason to complain. :o

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/tv/great-british-bake-debut-hit-18983200

"181 complaints about last night's GBBO return - with the "vast majority" referring to a sketch mimicking the Prime Minister's recent press conferences." :)

Pathethic.
    I hope Matt Lucas come on next week with a statement along the lines of
    " with regards to last weeks show. If you didnt like it and complained, what are you still watching for. now go watch something else"
    cut directly to start of show marquee and show start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Extra slice is on tonight. On the fence about the programme TBH. Tom Allen is back - grates a bit!

yes, the first season was a great addition. But then they extended it to an hour which was too long and Tom Allen's jokes are very predictible,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

He grates on me a LOT!

But I'll record, and watch later, fast forwarding through his bits!

Have to say I really enjoy it - I have the concentration span of a goldfish so it's a reminder of all I'll have forgotten in the whole two days since I saw the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    He grates on me a LOT!

But I'll record, and watch later, fast forwarding through his bits!

Have to say I really enjoy it - I have the concentration span of a goldfish so it's a reminder of all I'll have forgotten in the whole two days since I saw the show!

Tom Allen is on now and I had to mute him

Jo has lost some amount of weight. fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So basically people are complaining about a sketch which had already been recorded and edited into the show because it came after an address by the mop-headed buffoon which was announced at the last minute and as a result pushed Bake Off back 15 minutes. People are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Thats just the Brits for you......i like Matt, he wouldnt have been my choice, maybe he was the cheapest, but i'm sure he'll get funnier over the weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Loved Matt hosting you can tell him and Noel are mates.
    Great bunch of contestants, all pretty likeable.

I personally find Tom Allen hilarious he is so quick witted....but....small doses...and no way does extra slice need to be so long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

A nonsense elimination.

That was producer interference, IMO. Keep the more entertaining contestant. THIS is the kind of thing that has alienated me to the Channel 4 version. You can see the commercial pressures seeping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

A nonsense elimination.

That was producer interference, IMO. Keep the more entertaining contestant. THIS is the kind of thing that has alienated me to the Channel 4 version. You can see the commercial pressures seeping in.

I said the exact same thing to my husband!! Very frustrating.

I thought there was a bit of, keep the greater personality in

But, having said that, I thought they did the opposite the week before with the girl with the blue bubble gum cake.

• Advertisement

Yeah, agree with that about the eliminations, thought the other candidate had had it by the end of this evening. But he lives to fight another day. Will he change, though??

Watched on a very dodgy internet connection, so it was all a bit disconnected for me tonight - standout ones for me were the NI guy's Ethiopian coffee ceremony set (I've been to a number of those in Ethiopia, and he got it spot on IMO!), and the Amsterdam tea set which was as pretty as a picture, whatever that mould was that she used was an inspired idea.

They're all getting very techy this series - smoke wafting from quite a few bakes, flashing light in Rowan's lighthouse, and it's only ep 2!

Yeah Rowan should have went! I never enjoy the first 3 or 4 weeks as much as the rest. Too many personalities to keep track of. I loved the ethiopian set too. Lottie is the only one able to have decent banter with Noel.

I had a lovely croissant vanilla slice to enjoy while I watched tonight! (Not homemade) Might make macaroons for next week though!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I have to say I am struggling to like Matt hosting and I am a fan of his.
    definitey seems to be forcing a bit and some of it was cringe.
    Hopefully he picks uo in a few weeks when he gets a bit more familiar with the contestants

Parsnips wrote: »
    I have to say I am struggling to like Matt hosting and I am a fan of his.
    definitey seems to be forcing a bit and some of it was cringe.
    Hopefully he picks uo in a few weeks when he gets a bit more familiar with the contestants
    Agree, and there's absolutely NO chemistry between himself and Noel, whereas Sandi and Noel bounced off each other brilliantly - if they aren't best buddies, they certainly gave a good impression of it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Agree, and there's absolutely NO chemistry between himself and Noel, whereas Sandi and Noel bounced off each other brilliantly - if they aren't best buddies, they certainly gave a good impression of it!

I find some off Matt’s bits funny but agree they are a little forced so far.

Agree that Noel and Sandi had shenanigans down Soho on a regular basis - such excellent craic together!!!!

100% about Rowan. He screwed up all 3 bakes so we were sure he was gone. Definitely producer interferance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Oh really, I felt Noel and Matt were getting on great- Noel seemed like he was laughing at Matt's shenanigans . Shows you what I know.

I think the total opposite. Sandi and Noel were like oil and water to me, I never thought they gelled very well and I never laughed at Noel that much but so far this series, I've laughed a lot at him and Matt's antics.

Personally never warmed to Sandi. Noel and Matt are gelling well.

If noel had of been the one to leave he would have been a loss.

• Advertisement

100% about Rowan. He screwed up all 3 bakes so we were sure he was gone. Definitely producer interferance.

I've read people make the point that Mak didn't really fulfil the Showstopper brief but I think some of his molding just went a bit wrong because he overcooked the biscuit slightly so I think that's a BS reason. Or that they want to see what Rowan can do if he reigns it in a bit. I also think that's a BS reason. He gets the same amount of time as everyone else. It used to be that the objectively worst person that week went. Dan from a few seasons back was consistently excellent, but then had one bum week and was turfed because those were the rules.

Rowan only did marginally better than Mak in the showstopper and considerably worse elsewhere. We were treating it as a foregone conclusion that Rowan would be the one to go.

It seems like a lot of weight is placed on the Showstopper round. I wish there was more transparency in how they reach their decisions.

Advertisement