Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine to Tap

Options
  • 23-09-2020 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I was hoping someone could help, I am looking to install a washing machine outside. It is beside an external tap and I have power etc. Just wondering what is best way to connect to an external tap? anything I need to be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Washing machines go inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 KikiCamarena

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Washing machines go inside.

It’s inside a shed, sorry I meant to include that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    I'd use this if possible.

If it suits your needs.

Thanks, not sure if that would work

At the moment I have this on the tap, can't post link. It is a Hozelock Brass Threaded Outdoor Tap Connector
    Fits 12.5mm (½") & 19mm (¾") Threads

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Tee into pipe going to tap, insulate pipes, fit a washing machine isolation valve.

Given it's outdoors I'd use 1/2" Qualpex rather than copper - don't forget the inserts!

Is the external tap on mains pressure?

• Advertisement

Idioteque wrote: »
    Tee into pipe going to tap, insulate pipes, fit a washing machine isolation valve.

Given it's outdoors I'd use 1/2" Qualpex rather than copper - don't forget the inserts!

Is the external tap on mains pressure?

Sorry but what do you mean by Tee?

Not sure if on mains, I think so

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

A tee is a plumbing connection to connect a pipe to an existing pipe. It is in the shape of the letter "T". This is the best way of doing it. It involves cutting the pipe feeding the tap, putting this connection in and running a pipe from here to your washing machine. This is how it should be done and is a relatively simple job.

What you are proposing is connecting the washing machine directly to your outdoor tap.

I think, but am not certain, the nut on the end of a washing machine hose will screw onto an outdoor tap if you remove the spigot that you normally connect a hose too, but this is not a good way of doing it imo, its very amateur, and you may struggle to get it to seal properly and not leak.

You will need to verify it is mains pressure as your washing machine will likely need it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

don't forget water freezes in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I've mine out the back just use your hose attachments and your done. Screw this to the water connection on the machine

I can't attach photos with my phone but if you buy a hose pipe accessories you will have all you need

• Advertisement

keithdub wrote: »
    I can't attach photos with my phone but if you buy a hose pipe accessories you will have all you need

You saying use a standard hose and connect to back of washing machine? Thanks

Yah thats what I did. Your hose come with attachments for the quick disconnect screw that to the machine water and your sorted

Yah thats what I did. Your hose come with attachments for the quick disconnect screw that to the machine water and your sorted

Had a bash, it worked but my connections are a bit sh*t so going to invest in a couple of brass ones and see if they do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I've mine out the back just use your hose attachments and your done. Screw this to the water connection on the machine

What Keith says. It's how mine is connected outside

Ptfe tape will also help you out

Advertisement