Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is This Thing?

Options
  • 18-09-2020 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I purchased a house recently and this was left by the old owners and is plugged in on the landing.

eTCVrPql.jpeg

There are no real marking or identifying signs. Anyone have an idea what it is? I have taken its advice and not plugged it out, but I have no idea what it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Is it for a PhoneWatch alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The small thing the plug is plugged into looks like a powerline adapter. Is the other end of that ethernet cable plugged into the bigger box, or something else?

Also if the big box comes off the wall easily, there's probably some identifying stickers on the back somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Thats the internet.. Don't unplug it or we're all screwed!

imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fphotos%2Fimages%2Foriginal%2F000%2F857%2F733%2F920.gif&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fknowyourmeme.com%2Fphotos%2F857733&tbnid=pmrxVU2yBpIdHM&vet=12ahUKEwiG1cmY-fLrAhUMuaQKHbk7CCgQMygBegUIARClAQ..i&docid=wZCJyH5sXCdrEM&w=245&h=175&q=Jen%20thats%20the%20internet&ved=2ahUKEwiG1cmY-fLrAhUMuaQKHbk7CCgQMygBegUIARClAQ

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

But, surely, this is the internet:
    this-jen-is-the-internet.jpg

:pac:

It could be for an alarm, as mentioned. Otherwise maybe it's a router or maybe an access point? Can that box be opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Some sort of doomsday device, do us all a favour and plug it out, lol.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

No idea what it is, but for the love of God, do not unplug it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Is it for a PhoneWatch alarm?

I rented a house with that exact sticker on a plug, it was for Phone watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭FreshCoffee

As musiknonstop said, it's a Phonewatch Alarm.

There's one on sale on DoneDeal at the moment and if you check the photos in the ad you'll see it's the same unit (bottom right in the first picture) & picture 2 has a closeup:
    www.donedeal.ie/otherelectronics-for-sale/eircom-phonewatch-house-alarm/25553474

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

It's a phonewatch alarm have one myself in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What if a thief unplugs it, the phone watch alarm is off instantly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

wonski wrote: »
    What if a thief unplugs it, the phone watch alarm is off instantly?

As far as I remember it there is battery backup and if you unplug it it sends a message to phonewatch that power is gone they then ring you (which they have done to me) and tell you that your power has gone the ball is in your court then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

a powreline network adaptor.

open up the other box, is there anything smart in your house? that they might have mad up and put in this box?

Advertisement