Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you love the synthesiser?

Options
  • 12-12-2016 6:42pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Its just over 50 years since the worlds first popular electronic synthesiser, the Moog, was invented. It revolutionised music. From about 1970 onwards, the Moog and later makes of synthesiser made its presence in pop and rock music felt and paved the way for synth pop in the 1980s and techno in the 1990s. Bands like Kraftwerk, whose seminal work Autobahn (1974) showed the world what was possible with the synthesiser.

What is your favourite band/ tune with the synthesiser prominent?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057681308

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Why is it that everyone on this forum is into 90s/00s techno and not early synth/ electronic music?:confused::( After all, it paved the way for what came later.

Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Timewhys (1971)

Hot Butter - Popcorn (1972)

Kraftwerk - Kometenmelodie (1974)

Gary Neumann - Cars (1979)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

While I appreciate the legacy of the early synth bands I don't like the music. I also like metal music but not the early 80s stuff.

Well, I think someone here has to stick up for early electronic music. This forum seems way, way, too skewed towards techno and post 1980s electronica.

Whiteout the Moog, ARP and VCS synthesisers there would be no techno. They paved they way and it's always important to know and appreciate your history.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, I think someone here has to stick up for early electronic music. This forum seems way, way, too skewed towards techno and post 1980s electronica.

Whiteout the Moog, ARP and VCS synthesisers there would be no techno. They paved they way and it's always important to know and appreciate your history.

I'm not saying you shouldn't. I have read numerous articles on the development of synths and find the hardware side fascinating. I just don't think much of the early music made with them. It's like computers. Lots of people haven't a clue about the early development of the personal computer. I used to have an Amstrad CPC but I wouldn't expect everyone to appreciate it now given how far things have come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭francois

JupiterKid wrote: »

Always liked stuff from Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulz, Vangelis, Tomita, and earlier stuff going back to Walter Carlos, Silver Apples, United States of America, and even the more experimantal guys like Xenakis etc.
    I can appreciate it isn't to everyone's taste especially the more experimental compositions
    Check out this curiosity from 1962..don't be put off by the title, but you get the feeling Kratfwerk may have heard this, bloody years ahead of its time

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »
    Check out this curiosity from 1962..don't be put off by the title, but you get the feeling Kratfwerk may have heard this, bloody years ahead of its time

I checked that out there. Seems the composer Robert Scott invented his own instruments and was an influence on Moog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I love synth music.

There is a new band in ireland called Circuit3, releases a synth pop type album last year and they had a few synth nights in Dublin. Scene seems to be rather underground in London but large enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,229 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Are Friends Electric - Tubeway Army (1979)

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene 2 (1976)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LFO1

Tangerine Dream, especially mid-late 70s
    probably revolutionised the use of sequencers, although you can add Klaus Schulze into that whole Berlin School genre too.
    If you want an entry point try Rubycon, then Ricochet and Encore for a masterclass in live analogue sequencing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 briankrieger

I have 2 analog synths: Arturia Minibrute and Volca Bass. Sequencing them via MIDI using Ableton Live. They're better than any VST's

• Registered Users Posts: 24 auplant

I'm into this much more than 90's synth. I made a numanesque track inspired by the sound of Jan Hammer and Gary Numan

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Advertisement