Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange things your teacher did? (MOD NOTE in op)

Options
  • 02-03-2021 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to a fella today who I knew from school about 20 years ago and we were reminciscing about the old days. One thing we laughed about was our Irish leaving cert teacher used to basically show us father ted videos every class with no as gaeilge taught at all. Very strange so I was wondering anyone else have any weird stories?

Mod note - don't name or hint at the identity of teachers being referred to in this thread, share anecdotes but respect their privacy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A bunch of them attempted to get me expelled from secondary school, they even succeeded for a while but MeHole (minister for education at thr time) sent someone down from Dublin and forced them to let me back in, made them all grovel. In fairness I was a messer but didn't deserve this kind of treatment. Cnuts

Primary school principal used to give me an awful doing and used to hit me long after corporal punishment was banned

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One teacher put sellotape on somebodies lips.

We also had the teacher who used watch the previous days Home and Away, Soaps, programs, etc and if anybody asked we were doing a review on it.

One day a girl who was in our year but in the Convent died and the next day the same teacher taught us how to write an obituary.

Another teacher used talk about how important it was for lads to shower down after sport and not just use deodorant. He used talk about how important it was to use a bar of soap and really lather it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Our Religion Teacher showed us 'The Lovers Guide' video series in the TV room in 3rd Year.

For those too young, it was a series of graphic sex videos thinly veiled as educational. In a time before the internet, we certainly got an education.

Somebody grassed and it ended up on the front page of the Sunday Indo, which gave my Dad no end of mirth as he arrived home from mass with the story under his arm.

The teacher, a man then in his early 50s from an unspecified County of Northern Ireland was suspended for a term, but took it upon himself not to return.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,552 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Our sixth class teacher refused to use the blackboards.

She instead had reams and reams of paper that she'd stick to the blackboard and write on with really squeaky black markers. Such an absolute waste of paper. There'd be piles of it on the floor for the bin by the end of the day.

I'd an Irish teacher in secondary school who, at the start of each class, would walk around and hand everyone a tiny slip of paper about two inches high and five inches long -

I don't know how, but that tiny bit of paper would contain a colossal amount of work we'd have to go through while he sat at the top of the class doing **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Primary school principal made a fella drink a carton of sour milk as a punishment for letting it go sour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Roscommon country secondary school back in the 1980's:

School starts at 9.00. Teacher rolls in at 9.15, gets one of the lads to go down to the shop and pick up 20 Carroll's and the Irish Press. Every single day.

Playing pool in the lounge of a pub at lunch, teacher in the bar. Shouts out "Do I have ye at 2.00?" "Yes, you do sir!" Then throws out 10p for another game of pool and he orders another pint.

School tour: Got the bus driver to leave before two female teachers could come out and join them. Just himself and another male teacher, nobody else to spoil it. Got to Bundoran, the two of them spent the day drinking in several pubs, students ran riot around town on a plssing wet mid-week day in October, place was a ghost town, so they stuck out. Stopped twice for pints on the way home, eventually got home around 10 p.m., was supposed to be home at 7.30 pm.

Loads more, was considered just slightly outside of normal back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Teacher in primary school stripped a friend of mine down to his underwear in front of the class, then threw all his clothes out a second floor window into the schoolyard, then sent him down in his underwear in front of the whole school to collect them.

In second class, our teacher used to pick 2 kids out of the class and make them sit on a boiling radiator, in a competition to see who could sit on it the longest. If you tried to get off too quick, he’d hold you down on it. This wasn’t punishment, it was for “fun”.

Loads more of these types of stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

A secondary school maths teacher in my school, always taught fractions for Cheltenham week. We had an inspection one day during it, the inspector asked for tips, winning tip, thumbs up for the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

My religion teacher around 3rd year (a priest) walked in one day and without a word, wrote in huge letters across the board:

M A S T U R B A T I O N

Then he proceeded to tell us what it meant, how the word came from Latin and how it was totally ok to be doing.

He gave a few examples of where its ok to do it. In the shower was one of his recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Surprised he didn't show ye how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Had an elderly woman for french/english/history from 1-3 rd year, she hadn't a word of french and english and history consisted of us reading the textbook.

What a valuable education

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

We had a religion teacher who was always trying to convince us that the moving statue of Ballinspittle was real (this was a few years after the moving statues thing, so circa 1990). I dont think anyone was convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

In junior infants we had a teacher who used to chase with a big broom shouting “I’ll brush your beard.”
    This was in the 80s after corporal punishment was definitely gone.

At the time we thought she might be a witch. She looked a bit like that ITV character, Grottbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Getting away from the abuse to just simple bad teaching for a minute: We’d a Physics/Chemistry teacher for the Leaving who wouldn’t let us do any experiments. But he made us copy them from the text book into a lab book as if we had done them, in case an inspector ever checked. He was very blatant about this being entirely for his benefit, at the expense of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

We’d a guy in secondary school who used to just stop classes to watch horse racing if he’d money on something and taught us how to calculate betting odds...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

I had a Geography teacher from 1st - 3rd year who I genuinely think didn't have a clue himself about Geography. In the 3 years that I had him, all he spoke about was golf to whoever would listen. The rest of the time the class was either spent just chatting away or messing about. I remember doing Geography for my JC and yes I will admit now that I could of been the clever one and studied it myself but jesus I didn't have a clue. Picked a different subject to study for the LC and who did I get landed with but the man who claimed to have been the next Rory McIlroy. Safe to say I ended up having to teach myself the subject I choosed....and still failed. I wouldn't even mind but he was my Year Head as well so no one could really go to him for anything important because he would literally talk sh*te about golf or just anything that wasn't in regards to what you needed. Found out about 2 years after I done the LC the school was moved to another location with a new principal. Oh and another teacher was stacked for punching a student because he didn't agree with a 14 year old ideas of why he should be simplifying the class work instead of writing a bunch of words on the blackboard hoping we retained some form of information. I would go back to school just for the simplicity and innocence of it really

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Had a young English teacher in the late 80s for 2nd/3rd year. Think he might have been a student teacher when he arrived first. Saw a bit of worth in me and, after me causing him no end of frustration, convinced me he was right. Also introduced us to Peter Gabriel.

Thanks Mr D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Had a science teacher who used to make his own poitin in the lab. He'd be completely bucked ar 4 o'clock !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

One teacher thought us the different names for masturbating...choking the chicken, beating the meat. Strange!

Ah yes, a long list of posts where the things didn’t happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Back in the 80's had a female PE teacher who would walk into the male shower rooms to make sure there was no messing going on while all us 3rd years were showering. My son went to the same school and she was still there. Female english teacher used to have us perform a comedy sketches during her class and would have one of us sit on her lap(she was a looker as well).
    Strange days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

There's a definite pre and post 2000 difference in school experiences here and rightly so. For many, myself included, school was an horrific time, with little of the light relief described here. I'm genuinely happy for those who had a good time at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Principal had a strange thing about lads with long hair, tried to make life hard for us, it backfired, father was called in, also had long hair, kinna, at the time. in a polite way, told the principal, he hadnt a clue about educating kids, recommended some books to him, was never bothered about it again. Have since met said principal, long retired now, he's getting very old, but he still remembers me, schools are damn weird places

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

There's a definite pre and post 2000 difference in school experiences here and rightly so. For many, myself included, school was an horrific time, with little of the light relief described here. I'm genuinely happy for those who had a good time at school.

That's very true.
    We were terrorised through primary and secondary school.
    Female teacher would trash you with a metre stick for not knowing the answer to a question (primary school!)
    Then onwards to the wonderful Christian brothers (too stupid to be priests) one of whom would kick you on the shins and try and bite you instead of slapping you.
    All of this has made me a very introverted person (protection mechanism) for which I am very resentful towards the education system I was put through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

One teacher put sellotape on somebodies lips.

We also had the teacher who used watch the previous days Home and Away, Soaps, programs, etc and if anybody asked we were doing a review on it.

One day a girl who was in our year but in the Convent died and the next day the same teacher taught us how to write an obituary.

Another teacher used talk about how important it was for lads to shower down after sport and not just use deodorant. He used talk about how important it was to use a bar of soap and really lather it up.

I'd almost guarantee that one or a few of the class didn't have the best hygiene standards at all.

We had a Geography teacher who spent 2 years covering River, Sea, and Ice erosion and deposition. A new teacher arrived for 3rd year and thought we were taking the piss when she realised she had a whole syllabus (minus those) to catch us up on in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭KevRossi

We had a teacher in secondary school, young enough lad, friendly, good looking.

Came into class one Monday morning and put John Waite's 'Missing You' on the stereo (a proper ghetto blaster). Kept playing it louder on repeat with his feet on the desk looking up at the ceiling. We were in fits of giggles until one of the lads noticed the teacher was crying. Teacher next door (who was dead sound) and who was a mate of his came in to see what the noise was and took him outside.

He (teacher next door) came back with about 5 minutes left in the class. Just told us to pack our books up quietly, and then said something that has honestly stayed with me the past 35 years;

"Lads, we've no idea what kind of pain and issues some people are going through, but if ye can, go and speak to a friend about it, it really is the best thing to talk about stuff and get it off ye're chest. Also lads, I don't mean to be condescending, but ye have no idea what adult life is like, it's a lot harder than ye can ever imagine.

But remember lads; 'It's good to talk'* "

*It's good to talk was an advertising slogan for British Telecom at the time.

This is the song the teacher was playing, he was obviously going through some sort of a break up with a woman at the time. And yes, every time I hear this song I think of those two teachers and that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

One teacher in primary school (1980s) got three of us who were messing to kneel down and put our faces against the wall for an hour or so and threatened to cut off our fingers with a wood saw he had.

Remember not being scared and thought it was funny. We must have been very resilient, imagine the payout for trauma nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I think most teachers fit into one of four categories...

-Good teachers
    -Bad teachers that tried to teach
    -Bad teachers that didn't care and would spend all class telling you stories/watching videos etc...
    -Off the wall teachers

The last two were the best fun. We had a maths teacher, real old school strict guy. But we realised after a few months that he had a couple of topics of conversation that he loved... so all you had to do was get him going on one of them and he'd spend the whole class telling us some random story. Somehow I scraped through honors maths..

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

Had a high school math/physics teacher(in the States obviously) who had a special reward for whomever scored the highest on the final exams. He would treat the best score to a ride in his little 2 seater aero plane. That he built himself. You never saw a bunch of smart kids get so stupid so quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

On the hygiene thing, we were doing swimming for pe, and after we got changed, we were lined up separated into boys and girls. Think we were 2nd year. The teacher singled out the boys, told us we all smelled terrible and that teenagers needed to wash more. She then told us we were going to go back to the changing rooms to shower before the class started.

So she sends the first 10 or so lads back first. They come back, she announces the smell has now gone, and we continue on with the class.

Advertisement