Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone done volunteer work with EIL in South Africa?

Options
  • 20-04-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey I have just booked to go away for four weeks to South Africa with EIL, I will be going on my own and have never really done anything like this before (I do volunteer work in Ireland, once a week). Just wondering has anyone had any experiences with this company, as just don't really know what to expect,
    Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liketochat

Hi there - I can guarantee you will have a great experiance. I did not go to South Africa, i went to Tailand with EIL, and they do have a very good support network in place.Altough i did not go to South Africa i meet many Volunteers who did and all were positive about there experiance. There are "Dos" and "donts" that will be discussed with you when you arrive by the In country coordinator assigned to you...If you take there information on board you will be fine,,,I like yourself volunteered on my own and it all worked out. EIL will run Pre Departure workshops with all Volunteers so ensure you attend that session - it will calm your nerves and there will be volunteers there who went to Africa who can answer any specific questions you have...Good Luck with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CMSgirl

Hi! I am traveling to Nepal this summer with eil and I was wondering if you would recommend them as a company for people wanting to volunteer? Just doing some research and I've heard some horror stories of some companies really letting people down. I've heard nothing bad about EIL but I'm just looking for someone with first hand experience with them to put my mind at ease! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liketochat

Hi there,,,my own experience was very positive and EIL are an organisation i would recommend.You will be meet from your flight by a coordinator who remains in contact with you for duration of your stay(this for me was a great benefit),,,you will get cultural training as part of your volunteer work and pre departure training in ireland before you leave x volunteers will attend this so its good to hear thete stories.EIL have "in country coordinators" ex volunteers who are happy to take calls from new volunteers....i would recommend asking them for contact details from a volunteer whovusited Nepal,,,and ask every question you have..you will get honest feedback...my experience was definatly positive and EIL were great support,,ihave not heard bad reorts from any if tge volunteets i meet through eil...best of luck...fantastic thing to do...i wish you luck...

Advertisement