Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Green Container? Pump station?

Options
  • 02-03-2021 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

The attached just appeared over our garden wall - which borders a small apartment complex (approx 10 apts). Second picture shows how close it is to bordering garden wall and to the back of our house.

From googling it, it looks like a 'combination pump station'.

There is on-going work in the apartments (extension and refurb) - I've read the planning and there is no mention of this and it does not appear on any of the plans - in fact this is marked as 'recreational' and has grass and trees in images.

Anyone know what this is please?

Is it likely to be noisy?

Are there guidelines as to proximity to houses?

Does it need planning?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://www.pressboost.co.uk/combination-grp-enclosure-and-3-pump-booster-set-installation/

its 3000 litre storage tank with three booster pumps in an insulated enclosure.
    email them and ask for a spec sheet, including the noise curves
    The concrete walls and fences will attenuate a lot of the noise, if any

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭busterjones

Thanks!

Excuse my ignorance - but what's the purpose of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If it's the same as the unit you've linked from the website then mains water goes into it and it boosts the pressure for use inside the building.

Is there low water pressure in your area or are you at the top of a hill or something like that?

If it's the same as the unit you've linked from the website then mains water goes into it and it boosts the pressure for use inside the building.

Is there low water pressure in your area or are you at the top of a hill or something like that?

Water pressure wouldn’t be great alright.

You expect planning permission would be needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Water pressure wouldn’t be great alright.

You expect planning permission would be needed?

Indeed you would. It's location is likely on the site plans for the development.

Or they might look for retention.

• Advertisement

You'd expect to see a yoke like that standing out on its own called up somewhere on the planning drawings. I'm not sure if there's any exemption it would fall under.

On the flip side - if they did apply for retention my guess would be that they'd probably get it unless it's excessively loud.

Are you certain that's the final location for it or is there a possibility it's just left there for the time being? Are there pipes going to and from it?

Are you certain that's the final location for it or is there a possibility it's just left there for the time being? Are there pipes going to and from it?

That’s a very good point! Will take a better look over wall to see if I can figure that out.

They did put in a solid base for it though but may have done that even if it’s there temporarily I guess so it’s no damaged.

Define solid? If it's concrete that sounds like a permanent home. If it's compacted hardcore possibly only temporary.

Define solid? If it's concrete that sounds like a permanent home. If it's compacted hardcore possibly only temporary.

Definitely more hardcore - with rest of the area being tarmac - also where it is now is a distance from the apartments i.e. the apartments are 2 doors up from us but in the past the bought the rear garden from the house which is between us both.

So - where they've put this is directly behind our immediate neighbour and not adjacent to the building it will service. Thinking about it, they probably couldn't access mains water directly from where it is without piping it there?

So hopefully you're right, and its just being held there temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

The unit looks to be located close to a boundary wall, which might be an issue particularly if the unit is noisy.
    I suggest you look up the planning file for the development on the website of your local authority. Something like that placed so close to your boundary should have been addressed by the developer at planning stage, particularly in relation to noise.
    If you are still concerned about noise then I recommend that you contact a professional to perform a noise survey at your boundary before the unit goes into operation. The planning permission for the development should set noise limits at the boundary with your property and so if you consider the unit to be noisy then a subsequent noise survey with the unit in operation would determine whether the planning conditions on noise limits are being breached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Op, your second picture is from the company website
    The first picture is unclear, it may not even be connected up so may not be your issue.
    I have asked the company in the UK for the tech spec, including the noise curves

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement