Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nova day coming up 37 years

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

TheBMG wrote: »
    alzer100 wrote: »

PK was on Sunshine prior to the Hot Hits format as this video shows at about one hour in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTD3cM7CSVU

I know this question is not Nova related and it's definitely NOT Paul Kavanagh related! but just looking at some of the video footage from "The Irish Era", I think it's in part 6 or 7 of those videos in which Martin Block is being interviewed at the Q102 studios in Upper Mount St circa 1987 (I think). He states that he believes that Q102 are on top of the ratings etc and he is questioned about Sunshine, in which he he gives his opinion.
    Fast forward to a later video in which they revisit 8 Upper Mount St in which it's about a year later and Q102 has had a format change. Martin Block is interviewed again but the video that is available on YouTube has no sound.
    I am just curious to know what he is saying, what questions are being asked (considering the previous interview) and how he responded.
    Does anyone know if that video is available out there on the net with sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I know this question is not Nova related and it's definitely NOT Paul Kavanagh related! but just looking at some of the video footage from "The Irish Era", I think it's in part 6 or 7 of those videos in which Martin Block is being interviewed at the Q102 studios in Upper Mount St circa 1987 (I think). He states that he believes that Q102 are on top of the ratings etc and he is questioned about Sunshine, in which he he gives his opinion.
    Fast forward to a later video in which they revisit 8 Upper Mount St in which it's about a year later and Q102 has had a format change. Martin Block is interviewed again but the video that is available on YouTube has no sound.
    I am just curious to know what he is saying, what questions are being asked (considering the previous interview) and how he responded.
    Does anyone know if that video is available out there on the net with sound?

I’ve seen the video (with sound). Several years ago now but briefly ... Martin doesn’t seem to be a fan of the new format but points out that it’s now worked twice.

He also says a version of what Bill Cunningham does could be done for the new ILR stations. I think he was being as diplomatic as possible but he clearly detests the new format.

I’ve seen the video (with sound). Several years ago now but briefly ... Martin doesn’t seem to be a fan of the new format but points out that it’s now worked twice.

He also says a version of what Bill Cunningham does could be done for the new ILR stations. I think he was being as diplomatic as possible but he clearly detests the new format.

Well I'm sure he wasn't too happy with Cunningham moving into his role at that time. I wonder what position that may have put him in at that radio station?
    On the last day of Q102, they did make reference to a BC dartboard!
    Funny, though, it was that format (or a Martin Block version) in which he himself and Mike Hogan used to launch Capital 104.4

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Martin Block has been around the block! First Sunshine and then Q102. Years later after he had left Capital Radio (now FM104), he was the first boss of 4FM (now Classic Hits).

Martin could be heard doing ads during the superpirates era. Fellow Englishman Robbie Robinson, aka Robbie Dale, was of course the man behind Sunshine. Nova, of course, had plenty of UK voices: Chris Cary (its boss), Tony Allen, Andy Archer, Tom Hardy amongst others.

• Advertisement

Martin Block has been around the block! First Sunshine and then Q102. Years later after he had left Capital Radio (now FM104), he was the first boss of 4FM (now Classic Hits).

Martin could be heard doing ads during the superpirates era. Fellow Englishman Robbie Robinson, aka Robbie Dale, was of the course the man behind Sunshine. Nova, of course, had plenty of UK voices: Chris Cary (its boss), Tony Allen, Andy Archer, Tom Hardy amongst others.

You could see that there was a kind of a trend as far as the early superpirates were concerned. You would get your start and cut your teeth on Sunshine Radio and then move to Nova because that was the "station". It happened in both directions too but I think it p****d off Robinson to a degree. I think Robinson felt betrayed by a few key people who moved on from Sunshine especially at a manergerial level, but that's business I suppose.

One more word on Martin Block: he was the original chief executive of Lite FM. It is now called Q102, which is ironic considering his involvement with the superpirate of the same name! Robbie Robinson and Martin are among a very rare number of UK voices in Dublin in the 1980s that were not involved with Nova!

Richard Jackson was one of the later UK voices on Nova - this would have been after the events of 37 tears ago. I'm pretty sure I saw something about one of the presenters on Quasar The Album Station (online UK station)being a presenter on Radio Nova, but I can't find it now.

One more word on Martin Block: he was the original chief executive of Lite FM. It is now called Q102, which is ironic considering his involvement with the superpirate of the same name! Robbie Robinson and Martin are among a very rare number of UK voices in Dublin in the 1980s that were not involved with Nova!

Richard Jackson was one of the later UK voices on Nova - this would have been after the events of 37 tears ago. I'm pretty sure I saw something about one of the presenters on Quasar The Album Station (online UK station)being a presenter on Radio Nova, but I can't find it now.

I thought Martin Block moved to Nova before his involvement with Q102 in 1985. The Irish Times has stated in an interview that he did??

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/in-tune-with-the-listeners-1.710681%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Richard Jackson was also the first voice on Nova unofficial spin off Zoom 103.

Iirc Martin Block also held the rights to the name 'Q102' in ROI.

Re the earlier query on the video - iirc Martin was saying that the fact that Q and Sunshine had the same format and where both successful showed the potential for 2 similar stations post legislation. Iirc he also pointed to where all the ex Magic studio equipment was.

One little known fact is that Bill Cunningham had been contracted to work at what became classic hits 98FM

Infoanon wrote: »
    Richard Jackson was also the first voice on Nova unofficial spin off Zoom 103.

Iirc Martin Block also held the rights to the name 'Q102' in ROI.

Re the earlier query on the video - iirc Martin was saying that the fact that Q and Sunshine had the same format and where both successful showed the potential for 2 similar stations post legislation. Iirc he also pointed to where all the ex Magic studio equipment was.

One little known fact is that Bill Cunningham had been contracted to work at what became classic hits 98FM

Apparently that turned into legal action brought about by Bill Cunningham.

Although he was part of a consortium which included Pierre Doyle amongst others for one of the Dublin licences in 1989 he had also "allegedly" completed a deal with Radio 2000 to manage that franchise if it were successful.

After Radio 2000 won the licence, Bill Cunningham returned to the US but was never contacted with respect to returning for the job. He took legal action against Radio 2000 in 1993, apparently it was settled out of court.

Bill did a couple of golden oldies shows for FM104, I think around this time period but was unfortunately killed in a car accident in Indiana in February '96, at the age of 56.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Apparently that turned into legal action brought about by Bill Cunningham.

Although he was part of a consortium which included Pierre Doyle amongst others.

I thought Pierre Doyle very publicly said there was no money in the new licences and would not be involved ?

Infoanon wrote: »
    I thought Pierre Doyle very publicly said there was no money in the new licences and would not be involved ?

He probably did say that but also most likely said it after he was unsuccessful at obtaining a Dublin local radio licence! He was part of a consortium in February '89
    which included Bill Cunningham.

The IRTC board who were hearing the submissions at that time didn't want to touch Cunningham as he was the opposite of everything that they were expecting of a licenced local radio station, even though Cunningham had expressed that there would be a "mucho" difference in the proposed station and he would commit to 20 percent news and current affairs.

Hence, Cunningham doing a behind the scenes deal with Radio 2000.

Pirate radio, hidden equipment, legal action, politics, vying for position, shady characters and a car crash in Indiana — someone should turn this into a mini series, honestly.

Pirate radio, hidden equipment, legal action, politics, vying for position, shady characters and a car crash in Indiana — someone should turn this into a mini series, honestly.

I feel so fortunate to have grown up listening to these people in 1980's Dublin, it's so sad that some of the key people who really had an impact on Irish "unlicenced" radio are no longer with us.

I'm not just saying it because I'm getting older but radio in this city/country carries with it no excitement IMHO

I feel so fortunate to have grown up listening to these people in 1980's Dublin, it's so sad that some of the key people who really had an impact on Irish "unlicenced" radio are no longer with us.

I'm not just saying it because I'm getting older but radio in this city/country carries with it no excitement IMHO
    No, I can really see that. It sounds vibrant and exciting and new. You're lucky.

I thought Martin Block moved to Nova before his involvement with Q102 in 1985. The Irish Times has stated in an interview that he did??

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/in-tune-with-the-listeners-1.710681%3fmode=amp

You learn something new every day! Martin tried his hand on Nova at all aspects of broadcasting I see, I'm pretty sure I heard his UK voice on ads alright over the years, including possibly on Capital Radio (FM104).

You learn something new every day! Martin tried his hand on Nova at all aspects of broadcasting I see, I'm pretty sure I heard his UK voice on ads alright over the years, including possibly on Capital Radio (FM104).

Yes, Martin Block and Mike Hogan took up the same roles at Capital 104.4/Rock 104 and early days FM104 (if I am not mistaken) that they both had with Q102, in which I think Mike was acting as general manager and Martin was programming director. The late Jim Aitken (I think) was one of the main shareholders of the awarded franchise (Capital Radio Productions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I found this thread following some mentions of Nova and the pirates on RTEs The Way We Were tonight. Great memories here of many good nights in Novapark.

Do you know where the concrete base mentioned above can be seen today please?

Advertisement