Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nova day coming up 37 years

Options
  • 17-05-2020 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

It will be 37 years since the raids of 1983 this week, anybody remember?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The most important event in Irish radio history? ,

All started off as a normal mornings broadcasting on the 18th,Nova with Dekkie and Bob on 88FM and 819AM and Kiss with Mike Moran on 102.7FM live from the studios at 19 Herbert Street.

The first sign of something amiss was the airing of the RNI theme music followed by requests for Chris to contact the station

Meantime at Nova park a 50kw AM was being installed. ....

Members of the P&T and the Gardai had arrived at Herbert Street looking for the keys to the transmitter sites including Nova park. The studios were not touched.

(Les Reed - Man of Action is the name of the RNI theme )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Being a proud sad Anorak, I noticed something was up, before Man of Action played out. I was in work, with Nova playing out across the office, as it always did.

Chris Cary once described Nova as 'Hamburger Radio'... think McDonald's - you always know exactly what you are going to get, no surprises, everything within your expected taste and comfort zone. So much so, that even without realising it, you fell into the Nova groove while listening and every link and jingle had a time and place. I first suspected something was up when Declan missed a link and a few jingles were played, out of the expected context. In the days before mobile phones, he was desperately trying to attract the attention of those who would know that the Nova groove was not right.

After another few links missed and more random jingles, I mentioned to some colleagues that something was up. They hadn't noticed, but once Declan put out his call for Chris to contact the station and Man of Action was played, I knew it was serious.

The following hour or so was compulsive listening and word spread like wildfire around Dublin (and far beyond) that Nova was being raided. Little did any of us know at that time, that far more was to come.

Exciting times, I recently played some recordings of that week for my 24yr old son and it made the hair on the back of his neck stand up - and he wasn't even born then.

Hopefully they raid the station and remove that pair of goons from the morning show

On the 'Bring Back Nova' TV Doc Tom Hardy mentions getting into a car with a P&T official and heading up to Stocking Lane where one P&T van was waiting to load the equipment - the P&T really had thought this one through !

(Compare this keystone cop raid to the raids 20 years later on Dublins FM stations ).

An over zealous P&T official wanted to cut through the 10kw AM feed to get Nova off the air quickly - and there was good reason for this - the P&T where heading off in there van to raid Sunshine next !

The keys to the transmitters arrived (no iron grinders in sight),and Nova fell silent - the AM going off while 'Rip it up and start again played'.

With help from Nova staff and Nova vehicles (you couldn't make this up) the 10kw and 50 kw AMs where seized along with the FMs,optimods etc.

The last TX to fall silent was the Kiss back up transmitter in Woodtown (just up the road from Stocking Lane ).

RTE news crew filmed the raid and the closure of Nova was the lead story on RTE and the main headline in the evening papers.

Ministers warned of more raids and (at this stage) some where pretty happy that they had silenced Nova.

The 19th would be a new day but for now a state of shock and bewilderment befell the radio community.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I first suspected something was up when Declan missed a link and a few jingles were played, out of the expected context. In the days before mobile phones, he was desperately trying to attract the attention of those who would know that the Nova groove was not right.

After another few links missed and more random jingles, I mentioned to some colleagues that something was up. They hadn't noticed, but once Declan put out his call for Chris to contact the station and Man of Action was played, I knew it was serious.

The following hour or so was compulsive listening and word spread like wildfire around Dublin (and far beyond) that Nova was being raided. Little did any of know at that time, that far more was to come.

Ger, recordings of Nova on that day are common enough but what about Kiss, or indeed of Sunshine?

• Advertisement

Ger, recordings of Nova on that day are common enough but what about Kiss, or indeed of Sunshine?

There are certainly fewer recordings of Kiss and Sunshine on the 18th - mainly because everyone was in shock and listening to Nova. The 'Anoraks UK' organisation put out a 'story of the raids' tape where they had some Sunshine and Kiss material from the first day, including interviews with Mike Morane (Moloney) from Kiss and Robbie at Sunshine. It also included interviews recorded at a pub (Queens Dalkey?) with some of the main players, shortly after the raids and in the brief off air period when the future seemed very uncertain.

For anyone who might like to look the raids up, our longstanding Anorak friends in the UK, Ken, Ian and Gary, have all the details here :

http://www.dxarchive.com/raids_1983_radio_nova_raid.html

Added Edit - The anniversary of the raids always brings back very fond memories of Bob Gallico. A true professional and he was a much respected personality on Irish radio - in my humble opinion, the raid was his finest hour on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Infoanon wrote: »
    On the 'Bring Back Nova' TV Doc Tom Hardy mentions getting into a car with a P&T official and heading up to Stocking Lane where one P&T van was waiting to load the equipment - the P&T really had thought this one through !

(Compare this keystone cop raid to the raids 20 years later on Dublins FM stations ).

An over zealous P&T official wanted to cut through the 10kw AM feed to get Nova off the air quickly - and there was good reason for this - the P&T where heading off in there van to raid Sunshine next !

The keys to the transmitters arrived (no iron grinders in sight),and Nova fell silent - the AM going off while 'Rip it up and start again played'.

With help from Nova staff and Nova vehicles (you couldn't make this up) the 10kw and 50 kw AMs where seized along with the FMs,optimods etc.

The last TX to fall silent was the Kiss back up transmitter in Woodtown (just up the road from Stocking Lane ).

RTE news crew filmed the raid and the closure of Nova was the lead story on RTE and the main headline in the evening papers.

Ministers warned of more raids and (at this stage) some where pretty happy that they had silenced Nova.

The 19th would be a new day but for now a state of shock and bewilderment befell the radio community/

That last statement is important as, of course, it wasn't the end of Radio Nova. Nor was it the end of Sunshne Radio, which was to subsequently reinvent itself as Sunshine 101. It did spell the end of Kiss FM, its sister station, though. Mike Moran, aka Mike Maloney, and Greg Gaughren moved over to Nova. Eventually Radio Nova closed in a much quieter way during the spring of 1986.

. It did spell the end of Kiss FM, its sister station, though..

Kiss did return after the raids - the main priority was getting Nova back on air on full power to air those prepaid ads.
    Kiss would close in early 84 - but that's another story.

On the 18th,Nova and Kiss where off ,Sunshine was on with Robbie getting assurances that Sunshine would not be raided , that this action was about taking Nova off (before the 50kw was switched on)

Kiss did return after the raids - the main priority was getting Nova back on air on full power to air those prepaid ads.
    Kiss would close in early 84 - but that's another story.

On the 18th,Nova and Kiss where off ,Sunshine was on with Robbie getting assurances that Sunshine would not be raided , that this action was about taking Nova off (before the 50kw was switched on)

Okay, I got the sequencing slightly wrong there, but I think the raids were a factor in hastening the end of Kiss FM.

I do have some memories of that day in 1983. It was big news. Was that the same day when Chris Cary asked car drivers to "honk their horns" in support of Radio Nova?

Okay, I got the sequencing slightly wrong there, but I think the raids were a factor in hastening the end of Kiss FM.

I do have some memories of that day in 1983. It was big news. Was that the same day when Chris Cary asked car drivers to "honk their horns" in support of Radio Nova?

The call to 'sound your car horn' was made by the legendary Tony Allan, Ex of offshore stations Radio Scotland, Caroline, Radio North Sea, Voice of Peace and a host of Irish land based pirates. It was the next day, March 19th.

Nova were back on low power AM from early that morning and then Sunshine was hit (around 11am) and Nova announced at lunchtime that they were closing at six o clock.

• Advertisement

The call to 'sound your car horn' was made by the legendary Tony Allan, Ex of offshore stations Radio Scotland, Caroline, Radio North Sea, Voice of Peace and a host of Irish land based pirates. It was the next day, March 19th.

Nova were back on low power AM from early that morning and then Sunshine was hit (around 11am) and Nova announced at lunchtime that they were closing at six o clock.

Funny how the mind can play tricks with you! Tony Allen had a very distinctive voice and it looked like it was all over for Nova on that second day. But of course it wasn't!

Incidentally, there are a number of voices from the offshore pirates involved with an online station called Quasar The Album Station. There's a thread about it below. Ahem!

Added Edit - The anniversary of the raids always brings back very fond memories of Bob Gallico. A true professional and he was a much respected personality on Irish radio - in my humble opinion, the raid was his finest hour on air.

Magical listening to Bob and Declan - listening back earlier reminded me just how good the Brekkie Trekking was and what a brilliant idea it was of John Clarke to suggest having Bob on with Declan.

Nova did indeed come back on air the following morning (19th ) with a borrowed AM transmitter approx 1kw erp iirc after being plugged into the main mast (Joe Jackson providing the TX).low power by Nova standards but on par with eg Sunshine 531AM.

There was also a lower power FM on from Herbert Street.

As Ger has already said the P&T turned up at the Sands but Sunshines closedown was a bit more orderly with Robbie being allowed to sign off and close the station at 9.35. Maybe it was the tea and biscuits that Sunshine provided to the P&T or maybe some had realised what a PR disaster for the government the raids would prove to be.
    The transmitters at the Sands where switched off only for one P&T official to suddenly realised there was still a signal on from somewhere - anecdotally the late Peter Gibney made a few frantic phone calls to have the TX turned off - the main FM - at Howth Head iirc (someone else might be able to confirm the exact location ).

Sunshine had managed to save a FM transmitter which would greatly help their return to the airwaves.

Nova reported the Sunshine raid in their 10am news followed at 1.30 Tom Hardy announcing that Nova would close at 6pm.

Re Kiss - Kiss closed due to the RTE jamming

The transmitters at the Sands where switched off only for one P&T official to suddenly realised there was still a signal on from somewhere - anecdotally the late Peter Gibney made a few frantic phone calls to have the TX turned off - the main FM - at Howth Head iirc (someone else might be able to confirm the exact location ).

Sunshine had managed to save a FM transmitter which would greatly help their return to the airwaves.

I believe that it was Bellingham Farm on the Carrigbrack Road though that's by no means a certainty. Not terribly high as location but it has a great vista for the entire greater Dublin area and was arguably better than most of the pirate sites of the time.

I believe that it was Bellingham Farm on the Carrigbrack Road though that's by no means a certainty. Not terribly high as location but it has a great vista for the entire greater Dublin area and was arguably better than most of the pirate sites of the time.

Thanks Losty - that would tie in - it was a great site and gave Sunshine great coverage.

I should also mention that the FM TX at the Sands was more powerful than the 'main' transmitter at Howth Head such was the power needed to link and get a signal out of Portmanock .

Nova did have a FM on from Herbert Street when it first came on air ,1kw on 88,but RF interference meant a move to the mountains. The only other time that a FM was used from Herbert Street was after the raid.

Sunshine maintained a FM from Portmarnock up until the close down in '88. (100.7FM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

What ERP did Nova use on FM in their heyday? Was it still 1 kW when it moved from Herbert Street?

ka2 wrote: »
    What ERP did Nova use on FM in their heyday? Was it still 1 kW when it moved from Herbert Street?

24kw on 102.7 later 102.9,a 3kw TX into a 8 bay antenna array iirc

Edit: Allowing for power loss the ERP was probably closer to 20kw - still a whopper of a signal and double the max power used by today's independents in Dublin.

Nova also had a TX from Nova Park on 103.2 at the same time.

24kw on 102.7 later 102.9,a 3kw TX into a 8 bay antenna array iirc

Nova also had a TX from Nova Park on 103.2

That's significantly more transmission signal power than many of the commercial stations in the Dublin market are allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

And it shows - try listening to FM104 50 miles away in perfect stereo on a Walkman - not happening !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

That's mad. 98FM are only on 5 kW if I recall. I can't even work out how far 24 must have got them.

kazoo106 wrote: »
    And it shows - try listening to FM104 50 miles away in perfect stereo on a Walkman - not happening !

To be fair to FM104, they wouldn't be broadcasting with the same EFR that Nova had. Also, the FM spectrum in 1983 was a lot less congested back then it is these days and less regulated; as a result stations were able to to a lot more with their TX if they so wished.

• Advertisement

To be fair to FM104, they wouldn't be broadcasting with the same EFR that Nova had. Also, the FM spectrum in 1983 was a lot less congested back then it is these days and less regulated; as a result stations were able to to a lot more with their TX if they so wished.

Exactly - 98FM and FM104 have the same ERP iirc, and 50 miles would be outside their designated broadcast area.

The key difference between now and mid eighties is regulation. The FM band was very congested in the mid eighties in Dublin with even the super pirate stations only having a .4 Mhz gap as opposed to the .6 these days. .2 gaps where not uncommon.

And now as it approaches 6pm the memories flood back - Abba Dance while the music still goes on ,the theme from Hill Street Blues and So good to be the king airing with car horns blaring and crowds chanting 'we want Nova' all magnificently choreographed by 'the voice' Tony Allen

And now as it approaches 6pm the memories flood back - Abba Dance while the music still goes on ,the theme from Hill Street Blues and So good to be the king airing with car horns blaring and crowds chanting 'we want Nova' all magnificently choreographed by 'the voice' Tony Allen

Just as an aside, this comment reminds me of the time I met someone who told me of his experience of living at a pirate radio mountain site.

When he was a teen, he lived somewhere around the ticknock/3Rock/kilakee area and his dad was approached one day to use their adjacent workshed as a TX site. A payment amount was decided and the legal situation was agreed so that he would not be told what station it was and the people dealing with him would say that they told him it was legal equipment being housed at his property. He reckoned his dad did know, but the family were never told, to keep the ignorance defense valid and to stop them talking.

The mains power lead for the transmitter was plugged into this guy's bedroom double power socket (switched) and sent to the shed through a hole drilled in the window frame.

The teenager was an avid Nova fan and he listened in his room at night from a mains powered radio on his bedside locker. Late one night, he reached out to switch off the radio (using the socket switch) and it fell silent, except that the lights on the radio were still on. After a few minutes of trying to figure out what was happening, he realised that the radio was indeed still on, but not receiving - he had flicked the wrong socket switch (shed power) and had turned off Radio Nova - the secret was out.

Just as he turned the power back on, the phone rang to ask if there had been a power cut in the area (not uncommon), he said that there had been a very brief interruption, but all was back now... and then he put some masking tape on the Nova power socket switch, to prevent any more accidental 'drop out'.

I don't remember exact date, location, frequency used etc... but I do remember having a good laugh about it with the person concerned as he recalled the night he put Nova off the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Any chance they could do a reconstruction in Castleforbes House...but use batons and pepperspray this time.....please....:D

May 20th and Radio Dublin was one of the few Pirates still on, after the raids on Nova & Sunshine stations nationwide had left the airwaves.

By Saturday 21st things where starting to change ,Radio Dublin had not being raided and while Chris Cary brought his staff out for dinner in an up market restaurant in Dun Laoghaire a carrier appeared on AM. ...

By Sunday morning Nova was back with its full normal schedule from Monday. AM power was improved (still 1kw) and high power FM was restored shortly afterwards

At the same time both Nova and Sunshine where taking cases against the minister of communications,the cases failed and Sunshine resumed on AM and FM on the 12th June.

The court cases against Nova and Sunshine took place in October and both where found guilty of illegal broadcasting - fined £25 and €20 respectively with the P&T instructed to return the equipment within 14 days .

Once returned Kiss FM returned to the airwaves and Novas 10kw CSI was switched on with installation work commencing on the 50kw AM.
    The new tower had also been installed for the high power AM transmissions.

Foot notes : High level sources had tipped off Nova about the raids but the tip offs where ignored.

There was one further raid on Nova when the P&T seized the 15 kw TV transmitter - RTE had kicked up a hell of a rumpus about Nova TV - ironically Nova had been tipped off about this raid and had taken action but Cary relented and gave the P&T the TX (which was then returned a few months later).

There was also a threat of a raid - this occurred when the 50kw started drifting during a snow storm causing interference to BBC Scotland, the 50kw TX was switched off and no raid occurred.

Everybody remembers Tony Allens closedown but it would be another year before Tony was back on the radio ,May 23rd 1984 to be precise when the one and only test of Exidy738 wad heard wide and far (50kw ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Not sure if these are myths or truth.

1. Sunshine Radio mast was in the inner "garden" of the sands hotel, and as access was only through the hotel, it could not be taken.

2. Chris Carey built a building around the mast on Stocking lane so that it could not be taken without knocking the building.

Possibly good old myths, but plausible.

Btw, I worked in sunshine offices on baggot st for a while and also q102 during the Big Bill era.

Didn't know Peter Gibney has passed. An absolute gentleman.

Everybody remembers Tony Allens closedown but it would be another year before Tony was back on the radio ,May 23rd 1984 to be precise when the one and only test of Exidy738 wad heard wide and far (50kw ).

Tony Allen had a powerful voice. I'm pretty sure that was his voice used for at least one jingle on Dublin pirate Capitol Radio in the 1980s: Capitol, playing all you want to hear! I have a vague memory of another jingle that may have used his voice: Capitol - the city sound!

Darc19 wrote: »
    Not sure if these are myths or truth.

1. Sunshine Radio mast was in the inner "garden" of the sands hotel, and as access was only through the hotel, it could not be taken.

2. Chris Carey built a building around the mast on Stocking lane so that it could not be taken without knocking the building..

Both Myths - probably because all equipment had to be returned in working order in the old days masts where never seized.

The Sunshine mast was supposed to be untouchable as it was used as a Beacon by air traffic control.

The masts at Nova park / Stocking Lane where on grounds away from the main building, the first mast was free standing iirc and was moved around a lot (despite being initially dismantled when the 220 foot mast was erected )
    The 'big' mast had a large concrete base - evidence of which exists to this day.

Any good stories you can share about Sunshine or Q?

The court cases against Nova and Sunshine took place in October and both where found guilty of illegal broadcasting - fined £25 and €20 respectively with the P&T instructed to return the equipment within 14 days .

Once returned Kiss FM returned to the airwaves and Novas 10kw CSI was switched on with installation work commencing on the 50kw AM.
    The new tower had also been installed for the high power AM transmissions.

Foot notes : High level sources had tipped off Nova about the raids but the tip .

By way of an additional footnote to clarify something that is oft asked about the prosecution of Nova and Sunshine and specifically the return of their equipment.

A previous case against another pirate resulted in a Not Guilty verdict after the defence showed that transmission equipment alleged to have been used to transmit illegally could be lawfully used for other purposes than that of unlicensed wireless telegraphy. Once the case was over any such equipment that fell into this category could be returned to the accused party on foot of a court order, which meant that it all had to be returned. Upon being found guilty Nova and Sunshine used this precedent to their advantage by applying for all seized equipment to be returned after their cases were finished; both parties using their returned wares for more free radio telegraphy, only on a far grander scale than before :pac:

Over time the Department would practise the tactic of raiding and drawing out any pending prosecution for as long as possible to try and make it harder for raided goodies to be used for the same purpose that they were initially taken for in the first instance :)

• Advertisement

Both Myths - probably because all equipment had to be returned in working order in the old days masts where never seized.

The Sunshine mast was supposed to be untouchable as it was used as a Beacon by air traffic control.

The masts at Nova park / Stocking Lane where on grounds away from the main building, the first mast was free standing iirc and was moved around a lot (despite being initially dismantled when the 220 foot mast was erected )
    The 'big' mast had a large concrete base - evidence of which exists to this day.

Any good stories you can share about Sunshine or Q?

That Sunshine mast had so many stays dug into the walls that it would have taken long hours to remove from the Sands Hotel. You are right that the hotel was a guiding point for the airport. There was portacabins at Stocking Lane for the masts. Cary didn't own the land at the time but he ended up buying the site from Eugene Brady, a restauranteur, who had a late bar on the site. This is what morphed into Club Nova, but thats another story of it's own :)

Advertisement