Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Songs of Innocence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Just wanted to pick up on this point, I don't think it was under-rated at all, I think it was "rated", as in, it got great reviews, was a huge success, won back loads of fans, and is still critically admired.

I liked it straight away but then went off it a bit, but in recent years my appreciation has renewed as there's a lot more going on on that album than is initially evident, production-wise. While some of the songs are filler, there's a great warmth to that album and it does contain great stuff like New York, Grace, and Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Was rated highly at the time by most. Never cared for it all that much myself.

This lyric from Kite though was quite prophetic:
    The last of the rock stars
    When hip-hop drove the big cars
    In the time when new media
    Was the big idea
    That was the big idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

NIMAN wrote: »
    The old U2 were fantastic, now the fact that they gave away their new album to Apple for a PILE of cash sort of says to me that they are done.

You should try disassociate the music from the business side. Every band is a business, a brand, and are there to sell as many records as possible and promote themselves. U2 are no different, they just did something different.

I remember when Radiohead gave away "In Rainbows", everyone said they were geniuses for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

You should try disassociate the music from the business side. Every band is a business, a brand, and are there to sell as many records as possible and promote themselves. U2 are no different, they just did something different.

I remember when Radiohead gave away "In Rainbows", everyone said they were geniuses for doing so.

Didn't Radiohead actually give that album away for free to fans? As opposed to U2 selling this album to Apple who're in turn giving it away to itunes customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Whatever about the music, its such a pain in the ass to see Irish people constantly criticize U2 basically because of their success. The Apple download thing being part of the success, the tax optimisation being part of their success (and for Irish people to criticize them on this point is reaching astral scales of hypocrisy).

U2 has reached a level of success that will never again be reached by any Irish artist or probably any Irish individual, while remaining grounded in Ireland and living in Ireland, and the general population goes hoo-haw, big deal. But then Hozier releases a couple of decent songs, and he is gods gift.

Hozier is terrible. I've no idea how he's getting write ups. He looks and sounds like any bog standard Grafton Street busker.

Radiohead gave away the album to fans - I'm sure their record company didn't let them starve however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm a hardcore fan and have to say I found this album dreadful, mediocre stuff. Hard to believe it's the same band who wrote Achtung Baby. Even allowing for the fact that albums like that are a career high and usually a once off for any band, this new album is a shocking dip in quality for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I'm a hardcore fan and have to say I found this album dreadful, mediocre stuff. Hard to believe it's the same band who wrote Achtung Baby. Even allowing for the fact that albums like that are a career high and usually a once off for any band, this new album is a shocking dip in quality for them.

I'm quite enjoying it but its made me go back and listen to Zooropa and Pop and long for the days where they were willing to take some proper risks with their sound.

Everlong1 wrote: »

I think if you delve a little deeper into the second half, you'll find some things that will please you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Lads those days are gone, U2 are never gonna release another Achtung Baby or Pop. They're all absolutely minted. Almost approaching retirement! They're hardly gonna be that hungry, that innovative.

What they are doing though is still releasing very good songs. Sure they aren't gonna be groundbreaking or artistically awe inducing. But they're polished, melodic, interesting, entertaining tunes all the same.

I'd love a raw angry passionate innovative record more than anyone. But the chances of that happening in this day and age, where they are in their lives, are very very low.

I'm still delighted with this new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Lads those days are gone, U2 are never gonna release another Achtung Baby or Pop. They're all absolutely minted. Almost approaching retirement! They're hardly gonna be that hungry, that innovative.

What they are doing though is still releasing very good songs. Sure they aren't gonna be groundbreaking or artistically awe inducing. But they're polished, melodic, interesting, entertaining tunes all the same.

I'd love a raw angry passionate innovative record more than anyone. But the chances of that happening in this day and age, where they are in their lives, are very very low.

I'm still delighted with this new album.

You're dead right. Not writing off this album at all, there's some very strong stuff, especially on the second half. It just makes me miss the 90s stuff!

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'm quite enjoying it but its made me go back and listen to Zooropa and Pop and long for the days where they were willing to take some proper risks with their sound.

At least they've taken some risks here - its the first set since Pop that doesn't scream "WE'RE U2!". There's some different approaches and textures, and I put that down to the producers, but obviously "the lads" were willing to do it as they ended up putting it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id argue that they are now in the best position to take risks with their music, what have they got to lose at this stage?

They could release an album of Miley Cyrus covers and the subsequent tour would still be absolutely massive.

I agree, but when you think of it, what risks are left to take? A line dancing record? Banjos only? I guess I'd love another record down the Zooropa/POP road, but I'm loving this.

I agree, but when you think of it, what risks are left to take? A line dancing record? Banjos only? I guess I'd love another record down the Zooropa/POP road, but I'm loving this.

What they haven't done yet (and could do):

- An acoustic / stripped down record
    - A fully electronic / no guitars record (Kid A style)
    - An orchestral / symphonic record (a la Miss Sarajevo)
    - A "duets" album, as in, collaborate with someone different on each track
    - A proper soundtrack album (not just a few songs like Million Dollar Hotel)
    - A big band / standards album (actually I could see Bono doing this solo - or a band album with songs like Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad - decent, not like those terrible "swing" albums).
    - A live album of new material, recorded and filmed in a small club and also released on DVD.

They won't go country and they won't go R&B (though they bloody might).

I would be personally very happy if they did "Original Soundtracks Vol 2" i.e. another Passengers record. Though I doubt Larry would want to be involved. Having said that they could do it without him. The three others with Eno, Howie B and whoever else. Something ambient and soundscape-y - Always Forever Now springs to mind. That's an awesome track. Passengers is an awesome album.

All those things you mention sound like side projects, or stuff they have already covered in that way or similar.

U2 are still going to try to appeal to the masses on a normal record release. For a rock band they've got a pretty fine variety already.

They are in the game for almost 40 years. They are a completely unique beast. I think they're doing as well as they could be on a mass scale.

From my own personal point of view I completely agree and would love them to go off and make some niche electronic record. But I realize there is a bigger picture.

Well they did that, they went against type and made an 'electronic' record (though there were tonnes of guitars on Pop). It worked for AB and Zooropa, but for some reason Pop didn't click with the record buying public. And its a shame they took that to heart, as it was one of their more interesting and varied records (and that's probably *why* it didn't click with the record buying public).

If they want to stay operating on the level they do, you are right, they need big singalongs and soaring choruses that sound fine next to Where The Streets Have No Name.

They could do these projects (I personally like the idea of a no-guitars record and a symphonic record) and get away with it, but only if they scaled back their touring cycle and perhaps never did big tours again.

They have to decide if they're a touring band or a studio band; its very hard to be both. But they've made the first step with SOI, especially the second half.

I think they should do a covers album.

Not being smart, they have done some fantastic covers along the way.

Ironically, the ones on Rattle and Hum are the worst covers they've done, but for example the Aslan song they did recently, or one they did with Green Day.

John Lennon did it......

POP definitely scarred them(which annoys me big-time too as it's the album that converted me and I still love it). The fact ATYCLB was a huge success has made sure they will never go that drastically in another direction again any time soon. But I think they are definitely coming to the end of their big studio album days.

What songs have U2 written for other people? I can just think of "Goldeneye" but there's bound to be others. They could do an album of all those songs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭weadick

I really like this album but it has got panned in a lot of reviews. Then again their last album was quite critically acclaimed at first and is probably the worst they have ever done.

• Advertisement

Most reviews I have seen have been good to great. The only 2 noteable places that panned it were the usual, NME (pathetic click baiting attempt, shockingly poorly written review getting torn apart in the comments) and surprise surprise Pitchfork.

Most reviews I have seen have been good to great. The only 2 noteable places that panned it were the usual, NME (pathetic click baiting attempt, shockingly poorly written review getting torn apart in the comments) and surprise surprise Pitchfork.

I always think the most relevant reviews are the ones on Amazon.

You never know what a journalists motivations are.

Rolling Stone gives every U2 album five stars.

Yeah it was as predictable as pitchfork's 4.something. General chatter has been very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i've listened to this album 5/6 times now, and i keep changing my opinion on it. Half the time i think it's an amazing, the other half I think it's a slightly better version of HTDAAB and NOLH.

Miracle - Reminds me of Breath but better
    Every Breaking Wave - very enjoyable beside some cringe lyrics
    California - love this besides the ropey intro.
    Song for Someone - seems like an attempt to recreate Stay (Faraway, So Close!) and it's just that Faraway, So Close! :D
    Iris - City of blinding lights-esq but not with the same pay off
    Volcano - a cooler vertigo/boots - not going to be the hit i think they want it to be though
    Raised by Wolves - again I really like this song, the chorus is brilliant
    Cedarwood song - liking this
    Sleep like a baby tonight - again sounds like another U2 song I can't remember. i like it, very 80s imo
    This is where - it's ok, very snythy
    The Troubles - cool, slow closer, love the other singer on it - really suits it.

I cannot wait to see some of these live, especially the first three songs. I can only imagine the band have some great ideas of how to get the most out of these on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

i've listened to this album 5/6 times now, and i keep changing my opinion on it. Half the time i think it's an amazing, the other half I think it's a slightly better version of HTDAAB and NOLH.

Miracle - Reminds me of Breath but better
    Every Breaking Wave - very enjoyable beside some cringe lyrics
    California - love this besides the ropey intro.
    Song for Someone - seems like an attempt to recreate Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
    Iris - City of blinding lights-esq but not with the same pay off
    Volcano - a cooler vertigo, boots - not going to be the hit i think they want it to be
    Raised by Wolves - again I really like this song, the chorus is brilliant
    Cedarwood song - liking this
    Sleep like a baby tonight - again sounds like another U2 song but i like it, very 80s imo
    This is where - it's ok, very snythy
    The Troubles - cool, slow closer, love the other singer on it - really suits it.

I cannot wait to see some of these live, especially the first three songs. I can only imagine the band have some great ideas of how to get the most out of these on tour.

Any song that starts off with a sample of the Angelus is alright by me!

It's a hard album for me to pin down at the moment, although obviously it's still very early days. One thing I will say is that the first trio of songs are incredibly strong, probably the best three starters since Pop. The prospect of hearing The Miracle live is tantalising. It's a classic opener. Just imagine that dirty guitar sound booming across Croke Park!

After that it flags a bit for me before the last two songs lift it again. I'm hoping the rest of it kicks in for me over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭weadick

Any song that starts off with a sample of the Angelus is alright by me!

It's a hard album for me to pin down at the moment, although obviously it's still very early days. One thing I will say is that the first trio of songs are incredibly strong, probably the best three starters since Pop. The prospect of hearing The Miracle live is tantalising. It's a classic opener. Just imagine that dirty guitar sound booming across Croke Park!

After that it flags a bit for me before the last two songs lift it again. I'm hoping the rest of it kicks in for me over the weekend.

Is there a chance that they will play anywhere else besides Croke Park a la Springsteen? I've seen them in Croker a few times now and its never been brilliant.

It's funny though how some of their songs you never really notice suddenly become epic when they play them live. Kite would be a good example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

weadick wrote: »
    Is there a chance that they will play anywhere else besides Croke Park a la Springsteen? I've seen them in Croker a few times now and its never been brilliant.

It's funny though how some of their songs you never really notice suddenly become epic when they play them live. Kite would be a good example of this.

I was actually going to post something in reply to another post earlier about how U2 should cut back on the touring and make more records. I can completely see where they're coming from but what I'd like to see is them doing an Irish 'tour', like Springsteen as you mentioned. So say nine or ten dates in Croker, Pairc Ui Chaoimh and others in the likes of Galway, Kilkenny, Wexford, Derry and Belfast. It would be a nice gesture to their Irish fans. Unlikely to happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

What songs have U2 written for other people? I can just think of "Goldeneye" but there's bound to be others. They could do an album of all those songs! :)

Mystery Girl - Roy Orbison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

It was a fantastic idea to sell it to apple and for apple to give it away on itunes, but I'm so disappointed.

I've listened to it a good few times now, no real standoutish/exceptional songs, unlike most U2 albums. It's not really bad, but nothing to write home about. As a long term u2 fan, I'm trying hard to like this album, but there is just no real spark in it for me. It's just passable, and just barely. There's a couple of cords / verses that feel like they might have a spark in them, but they never light. This album is way too overproduced and un-accoustic. There is no joy in this album.

This is how U2 can and should sound like :

There is NOTHING on this album that touches this very simple jam

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I only got a chance to listen tonight but I'm very impressed, didn't think they had this in them after 40 years & 2 average previous albums.
    I'd put it up there with Pop as a piece of work, not really a poor track on it.
    I love Volcano & The Troubles.

Advertisement