Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 Songs of Innocence

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

And the lyrics. Oh lord. There's no sublety there anymore, everything is so clunky and awkward. I'm talking Dolores O'Riordan awkward. Look at that line in Cedarwood Road. 'Northside just across the river to Southside, That’s a long way here'.....christ almighty, that's a horrible line. From Every Breaking Wave...'Every sailor knows that the sea
    Is a friend made enemy
    '
    I think the trend started with Peace On Earth from ATYCLB, which contains some of the worst lyrics from any U2 song. It's a shame because Bono used to write some amazing lyrics.

I think, lyrically, the nadir was NLOTH... the one about a "cockatoo" and helping an old lady across the road and sticking her tongue in my ear and 5am blah blah blah (Breathe). They just didn't scan.

I'll defend Pop with all my might, I think even the dodgiest lyrics work in context ("I got two new suits... Miami... pink and blue"). I'll take Wake Up Dead Man any day over anything off HTDAAB.

As for Bono's voice, lets face it, he's an excellent, powerful singer, but I agree that he spends most of the album at a higher register. My personal preference would be for his low singing (eg Your Blue Room, Velvet Dress etc) but there's moments on SOI where he captures that again, like the opening lines on Volcano (very Zoo Station!) and at other points.

What brings the album up though, IMO, is the quality of the songs - production and lyrics aside, there are some great catchy melodies and hooks, and I think it is their most memorable set of songs since ATYCLB.

The production is great, I think, as it doesn't sound like any other U2 album, and its a very "guitar" album - the edge isn't relying on his old tricks, he's doing some other things, more distortion, the odd traditional "rock" solo here and there, and some nice colouring with acoustic guitar here and there. I for one got really sick of his "signature" delay guitar sound, and am glad there isn't much on this album. For this, he should be applauded.

Pop is much maligned but only I feel because the album wasn't a huge success and people (mostly American fans) didn't "get" it. It was perfect for the times, showed a band not afraid to push the boundaries (though Zooropa was encapsulation of that theory, leaving aside Passengers as its not really a "U2" album) and there is a lot of weighty material throughout, which belied its throwaway title. Gone, Mofo, If God Will Send His Angels... Do You Feel Loved is one of their very best ever groove-songs. Please, of course, is one of the best ever U2 songs. Stunning, mind-blowing music from start to finish.

Anyway, we can't expect U2 to make Pop again, never mind AB or Zooropa, but fair play to them for adding new touches to their sound with SOI and coming up with some good songs to boot.

Songs Of Experience, the mooted follow up to come next year, could be interesting, if we get a taste of the "club" album they are reported to have made but didn't release. I'd like to see a return to sampling, programmed beats, and more moody songs like we have on Pop.

Now, time to put on "Always Forever Now" and bliss out... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Good post. I'm also in the Pop/Passengers/Zooropa/Achtung Baby camp, as it's where the band pushed themselves the most and were rewarded superbly in my opinion. Songs like the title track of Zooropa, Dirty Day, Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room are as good as anything they've ever done. Interesting to hear what songs of Songs of Innocence are appealing to you. I'd say California and This Is Where You Can Reach Me are my two favourites so far. But I need to give the album a few more listens before I can pass any real judgement on it.

But a few things really bug me about U2 in general. The first is that Bono's voice is letting the band down big time. I know he was technically never the best singer but he got the message across. Nowadays, he's reaching for notes that he can't hit anymore and the songs are suffering. On the live version of Miss Sarajevo from the Vertigo tour he sings the operatic section stunningly (similar to the one in Hands That Built America) and I thought he was going to go down this path a lot more. I really wish he had.

And the lyrics. Oh lord. There's no sublety there anymore, everything is so clunky and awkward. I'm talking Dolores O'Riordan awkward. Look at that line in Cedarwood Road. 'Northside just across the river to Southside, That’s a long way here'.....christ almighty, that's a horrible line. From Every Breaking Wave...'Every sailor knows that the sea
    Is a friend made enemy
    '
    I think the trend started with Peace On Earth from ATYCLB, which contains some of the worst lyrics from any U2 song. It's a shame because Bono used to write some amazing lyrics.

Lastly, they seem to be trying way too hard to prove themselves as relevant. All these producers and collaborators. I don't care if they're relevant. I just want them to make the music that comes from their heart, the music they want to make for themselves. I just don't believe they're really doing that anymore. Maybe we'll get that on the next one, I hope so.

Not a fan of that lyric either. But the rest of the lyrics in that song are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Their three finest songs are "Discotheque" , "Please" and
    "Lemon".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

chicorytip wrote: »
    Their three finest songs are "Discotheque" , "Please" and
    "Lemon".

Discotheque is a very controversial selection in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

Full disclosure before I make this post, I am a U2 Fanatic (27 concerts, inc )

Elevation world tour in Miami -first 2 opening nights,
    Vertigo tour 2 nights in MSG
    Zoo TV, 1 night in Boston, 1 night at Wembley
    360 tours (2 nights Wembley)
    with the balance being Dublin shows since Unforgettable Fire era

NLOTH was by U2 standards mediocre (bar the sublime I'll Go Crazy...)
    ATYCLB was an underrated album, Walk On, Kite and Stuck In A Moment brilliant tunes
    HTDAAB was good (not great) Miracle Drug and Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own absolute genius
    SOI again has flashes of brilliance, some other songs will be slow-burners (not necessarily a bad thing btw)

IMHO Achtung Baby was their best album
    Zooropa great album with the song itself Zooropa a classic
    Pop on reflection had some great songs ( with some decidedly poor ones (Miami for example)

BTW I should also add I have an inoperable brain tumour & the band have been good to me since falling ill (sent me letters, rarities etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The songs are very average. A lot of the songs go nowhere, ponderous.

I really think they should pack it in - at least stop making records. Just tour. They haven't made a really good album in decades.

I really think they should pack it in - at least stop making records. Just tour. They haven't made a really good album in decades.

I don't agree with you, but I've often thought the opposite - they should stop touring and just make records. They've been trying to write for stadiums for the last decade, unlike with Zooropa / Pop etc when they were just making music. I think that if they stopped touring they could make much more interesting music.

Anyway, I've decided my favourite song on SOI is "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight". Its like a cross between The Playboy Mansion and If You Wear That Velvet Dress! With a bit of God Will Send His Angels. Very Pop sounding.

ATYCLB was an underrated album, Walk On, Kite and Stuck In A Moment brilliant tunes

Just wanted to pick up on this point, I don't think it was under-rated at all, I think it was "rated", as in, it got great reviews, was a huge success, won back loads of fans, and is still critically admired.

I liked it straight away but then went off it a bit, but in recent years my appreciation has renewed as there's a lot more going on on that album than is initially evident, production-wise. While some of the songs are filler, there's a great warmth to that album and it does contain great stuff like New York, Grace, and Ground Beneath Her Feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I don't agree with you, but I've often thought the opposite - they should stop touring and just make records. They've been trying to write for stadiums for the last decade, unlike with Zooropa / Pop etc when they were just making music. I think that if they stopped touring they could make much more interesting music.

Anyway, I've decided my favourite song on SOI is "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight". Its like a cross between The Playboy Mansion and If You Wear That Velvet Dress! With a bit of God Will Send His Angels. Very Pop sounding.

I actually flicked through some of their old albums last night, some great songs. They had something back then, like they had something to prove. They took risks and wrote some memorable tunes. Tunes like Zoo Station, Stay, Mofo.

It just feels like u2 are a franchise now rather than something really creative. Good luck to them all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For me U2 haven't produced a great album in a long time.
    Haven't heard this new one yet, but I agree about them being a franchise now.

The old U2 were fantastic, now the fact that they gave away their new album to Apple for a PILE of cash sort of says to me that they are done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Just wanted to pick up on this point, I don't think it was under-rated at all, I think it was "rated", as in, it got great reviews, was a huge success, won back loads of fans, and is still critically admired.

I liked it straight away but then went off it a bit, but in recent years my appreciation has renewed as there's a lot more going on on that album than is initially evident, production-wise. While some of the songs are filler, there's a great warmth to that album and it does contain great stuff like New York, Grace, and Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Was rated highly at the time by most. Never cared for it all that much myself.

This lyric from Kite though was quite prophetic:
    The last of the rock stars
    When hip-hop drove the big cars
    In the time when new media
    Was the big idea
    That was the big idea

NIMAN wrote: »
    The old U2 were fantastic, now the fact that they gave away their new album to Apple for a PILE of cash sort of says to me that they are done.

You should try disassociate the music from the business side. Every band is a business, a brand, and are there to sell as many records as possible and promote themselves. U2 are no different, they just did something different.

I remember when Radiohead gave away "In Rainbows", everyone said they were geniuses for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

You should try disassociate the music from the business side. Every band is a business, a brand, and are there to sell as many records as possible and promote themselves. U2 are no different, they just did something different.

I remember when Radiohead gave away "In Rainbows", everyone said they were geniuses for doing so.

Didn't Radiohead actually give that album away for free to fans? As opposed to U2 selling this album to Apple who're in turn giving it away to itunes customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Whatever about the music, its such a pain in the ass to see Irish people constantly criticize U2 basically because of their success. The Apple download thing being part of the success, the tax optimisation being part of their success (and for Irish people to criticize them on this point is reaching astral scales of hypocrisy).

U2 has reached a level of success that will never again be reached by any Irish artist or probably any Irish individual, while remaining grounded in Ireland and living in Ireland, and the general population goes hoo-haw, big deal. But then Hozier releases a couple of decent songs, and he is gods gift.

Hozier is terrible. I've no idea how he's getting write ups. He looks and sounds like any bog standard Grafton Street busker.

Radiohead gave away the album to fans - I'm sure their record company didn't let them starve however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm a hardcore fan and have to say I found this album dreadful, mediocre stuff. Hard to believe it's the same band who wrote Achtung Baby. Even allowing for the fact that albums like that are a career high and usually a once off for any band, this new album is a shocking dip in quality for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I'm a hardcore fan and have to say I found this album dreadful, mediocre stuff. Hard to believe it's the same band who wrote Achtung Baby. Even allowing for the fact that albums like that are a career high and usually a once off for any band, this new album is a shocking dip in quality for them.

I'm quite enjoying it but its made me go back and listen to Zooropa and Pop and long for the days where they were willing to take some proper risks with their sound.

Everlong1 wrote: »

I think if you delve a little deeper into the second half, you'll find some things that will please you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Lads those days are gone, U2 are never gonna release another Achtung Baby or Pop. They're all absolutely minted. Almost approaching retirement! They're hardly gonna be that hungry, that innovative.

What they are doing though is still releasing very good songs. Sure they aren't gonna be groundbreaking or artistically awe inducing. But they're polished, melodic, interesting, entertaining tunes all the same.

I'd love a raw angry passionate innovative record more than anyone. But the chances of that happening in this day and age, where they are in their lives, are very very low.

I'm still delighted with this new album.

Lads those days are gone, U2 are never gonna release another Achtung Baby or Pop. They're all absolutely minted. Almost approaching retirement! They're hardly gonna be that hungry, that innovative.

What they are doing though is still releasing very good songs. Sure they aren't gonna be groundbreaking or artistically awe inducing. But they're polished, melodic, interesting, entertaining tunes all the same.

I'd love a raw angry passionate innovative record more than anyone. But the chances of that happening in this day and age, where they are in their lives, are very very low.

I'm still delighted with this new album.

You're dead right. Not writing off this album at all, there's some very strong stuff, especially on the second half. It just makes me miss the 90s stuff!

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'm quite enjoying it but its made me go back and listen to Zooropa and Pop and long for the days where they were willing to take some proper risks with their sound.

At least they've taken some risks here - its the first set since Pop that doesn't scream "WE'RE U2!". There's some different approaches and textures, and I put that down to the producers, but obviously "the lads" were willing to do it as they ended up putting it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id argue that they are now in the best position to take risks with their music, what have they got to lose at this stage?

They could release an album of Miley Cyrus covers and the subsequent tour would still be absolutely massive.

I agree, but when you think of it, what risks are left to take? A line dancing record? Banjos only? I guess I'd love another record down the Zooropa/POP road, but I'm loving this.

I agree, but when you think of it, what risks are left to take? A line dancing record? Banjos only? I guess I'd love another record down the Zooropa/POP road, but I'm loving this.

What they haven't done yet (and could do):

- An acoustic / stripped down record
    - A fully electronic / no guitars record (Kid A style)
    - An orchestral / symphonic record (a la Miss Sarajevo)
    - A "duets" album, as in, collaborate with someone different on each track
    - A proper soundtrack album (not just a few songs like Million Dollar Hotel)
    - A big band / standards album (actually I could see Bono doing this solo - or a band album with songs like Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad - decent, not like those terrible "swing" albums).
    - A live album of new material, recorded and filmed in a small club and also released on DVD.

They won't go country and they won't go R&B (though they bloody might).

I would be personally very happy if they did "Original Soundtracks Vol 2" i.e. another Passengers record. Though I doubt Larry would want to be involved. Having said that they could do it without him. The three others with Eno, Howie B and whoever else. Something ambient and soundscape-y - Always Forever Now springs to mind. That's an awesome track. Passengers is an awesome album.

All those things you mention sound like side projects, or stuff they have already covered in that way or similar.

U2 are still going to try to appeal to the masses on a normal record release. For a rock band they've got a pretty fine variety already.

They are in the game for almost 40 years. They are a completely unique beast. I think they're doing as well as they could be on a mass scale.

From my own personal point of view I completely agree and would love them to go off and make some niche electronic record. But I realize there is a bigger picture.

Well they did that, they went against type and made an 'electronic' record (though there were tonnes of guitars on Pop). It worked for AB and Zooropa, but for some reason Pop didn't click with the record buying public. And its a shame they took that to heart, as it was one of their more interesting and varied records (and that's probably *why* it didn't click with the record buying public).

If they want to stay operating on the level they do, you are right, they need big singalongs and soaring choruses that sound fine next to Where The Streets Have No Name.

They could do these projects (I personally like the idea of a no-guitars record and a symphonic record) and get away with it, but only if they scaled back their touring cycle and perhaps never did big tours again.

They have to decide if they're a touring band or a studio band; its very hard to be both. But they've made the first step with SOI, especially the second half.

I think they should do a covers album.

Not being smart, they have done some fantastic covers along the way.

Ironically, the ones on Rattle and Hum are the worst covers they've done, but for example the Aslan song they did recently, or one they did with Green Day.

John Lennon did it......

POP definitely scarred them(which annoys me big-time too as it's the album that converted me and I still love it). The fact ATYCLB was a huge success has made sure they will never go that drastically in another direction again any time soon. But I think they are definitely coming to the end of their big studio album days.

What songs have U2 written for other people? I can just think of "Goldeneye" but there's bound to be others. They could do an album of all those songs! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭weadick

I really like this album but it has got panned in a lot of reviews. Then again their last album was quite critically acclaimed at first and is probably the worst they have ever done.

• Advertisement

Most reviews I have seen have been good to great. The only 2 noteable places that panned it were the usual, NME (pathetic click baiting attempt, shockingly poorly written review getting torn apart in the comments) and surprise surprise Pitchfork.

Most reviews I have seen have been good to great. The only 2 noteable places that panned it were the usual, NME (pathetic click baiting attempt, shockingly poorly written review getting torn apart in the comments) and surprise surprise Pitchfork.

I always think the most relevant reviews are the ones on Amazon.

You never know what a journalists motivations are.

Rolling Stone gives every U2 album five stars.

Yeah it was as predictable as pitchfork's 4.something. General chatter has been very positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i've listened to this album 5/6 times now, and i keep changing my opinion on it. Half the time i think it's an amazing, the other half I think it's a slightly better version of HTDAAB and NOLH.

Miracle - Reminds me of Breath but better
    Every Breaking Wave - very enjoyable beside some cringe lyrics
    California - love this besides the ropey intro.
    Song for Someone - seems like an attempt to recreate Stay (Faraway, So Close!) and it's just that Faraway, So Close! :D
    Iris - City of blinding lights-esq but not with the same pay off
    Volcano - a cooler vertigo/boots - not going to be the hit i think they want it to be though
    Raised by Wolves - again I really like this song, the chorus is brilliant
    Cedarwood song - liking this
    Sleep like a baby tonight - again sounds like another U2 song I can't remember. i like it, very 80s imo
    This is where - it's ok, very snythy
    The Troubles - cool, slow closer, love the other singer on it - really suits it.

I cannot wait to see some of these live, especially the first three songs. I can only imagine the band have some great ideas of how to get the most out of these on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

i've listened to this album 5/6 times now, and i keep changing my opinion on it. Half the time i think it's an amazing, the other half I think it's a slightly better version of HTDAAB and NOLH.

Miracle - Reminds me of Breath but better
    Every Breaking Wave - very enjoyable beside some cringe lyrics
    California - love this besides the ropey intro.
    Song for Someone - seems like an attempt to recreate Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
    Iris - City of blinding lights-esq but not with the same pay off
    Volcano - a cooler vertigo, boots - not going to be the hit i think they want it to be
    Raised by Wolves - again I really like this song, the chorus is brilliant
    Cedarwood song - liking this
    Sleep like a baby tonight - again sounds like another U2 song but i like it, very 80s imo
    This is where - it's ok, very snythy
    The Troubles - cool, slow closer, love the other singer on it - really suits it.

I cannot wait to see some of these live, especially the first three songs. I can only imagine the band have some great ideas of how to get the most out of these on tour.

Any song that starts off with a sample of the Angelus is alright by me!

It's a hard album for me to pin down at the moment, although obviously it's still very early days. One thing I will say is that the first trio of songs are incredibly strong, probably the best three starters since Pop. The prospect of hearing The Miracle live is tantalising. It's a classic opener. Just imagine that dirty guitar sound booming across Croke Park!

After that it flags a bit for me before the last two songs lift it again. I'm hoping the rest of it kicks in for me over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭weadick

Any song that starts off with a sample of the Angelus is alright by me!

It's a hard album for me to pin down at the moment, although obviously it's still very early days. One thing I will say is that the first trio of songs are incredibly strong, probably the best three starters since Pop. The prospect of hearing The Miracle live is tantalising. It's a classic opener. Just imagine that dirty guitar sound booming across Croke Park!

After that it flags a bit for me before the last two songs lift it again. I'm hoping the rest of it kicks in for me over the weekend.

Is there a chance that they will play anywhere else besides Croke Park a la Springsteen? I've seen them in Croker a few times now and its never been brilliant.

It's funny though how some of their songs you never really notice suddenly become epic when they play them live. Kite would be a good example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

weadick wrote: »
    Is there a chance that they will play anywhere else besides Croke Park a la Springsteen? I've seen them in Croker a few times now and its never been brilliant.

It's funny though how some of their songs you never really notice suddenly become epic when they play them live. Kite would be a good example of this.

I was actually going to post something in reply to another post earlier about how U2 should cut back on the touring and make more records. I can completely see where they're coming from but what I'd like to see is them doing an Irish 'tour', like Springsteen as you mentioned. So say nine or ten dates in Croker, Pairc Ui Chaoimh and others in the likes of Galway, Kilkenny, Wexford, Derry and Belfast. It would be a nice gesture to their Irish fans. Unlikely to happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

What songs have U2 written for other people? I can just think of "Goldeneye" but there's bound to be others. They could do an album of all those songs! :)

Mystery Girl - Roy Orbison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

It was a fantastic idea to sell it to apple and for apple to give it away on itunes, but I'm so disappointed.

I've listened to it a good few times now, no real standoutish/exceptional songs, unlike most U2 albums. It's not really bad, but nothing to write home about. As a long term u2 fan, I'm trying hard to like this album, but there is just no real spark in it for me. It's just passable, and just barely. There's a couple of cords / verses that feel like they might have a spark in them, but they never light. This album is way too overproduced and un-accoustic. There is no joy in this album.

This is how U2 can and should sound like :

There is NOTHING on this album that touches this very simple jam

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I only got a chance to listen tonight but I'm very impressed, didn't think they had this in them after 40 years & 2 average previous albums.
    I'd put it up there with Pop as a piece of work, not really a poor track on it.
    I love Volcano & The Troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

EunanMac wrote: »
    It was a fantastic idea to sell it to apple and for apple to give it away on itunes, but I'm so disappointed.

I've listened to it a good few times now, no real standoutish/exceptional songs, unlike most U2 albums. It's not really bad, but nothing to write home about. As a long term u2 fan, I'm trying hard to like this album, but there is just no real spark in it for me. It's just passable, and just barely. There's a couple of cords / verses that feel like they might have a spark in them, but they never light. This album is way too overproduced and un-accoustic. There is no joy in this album.

This is how U2 can and should sound like :

There is NOTHING on this album that touches this very simple jam

I'd go along with that ,few if any of the songs has the raw emotion of even songs on recent albums like Kite,Walk On,Stuck in a Moment, When I look at World , or
    Yahweh,Sometimes You Cant Make it on your Own ,Miracle Drug or even Unknown Caller.

The better songs on the album are ones that sound like something off Pop or Zooropa .

I think alot of the songs will be rejigged for the tour next year and will sound significantly better live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

'albums dont get finished. They get released' - Edge

this band are so guilty of over egging the sauce...faaaarr too many producers and collaborators. Drop all that, go in, demo ten songs, get them down and out in a week. That's something U2 should do but never will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

david75 wrote: »
    'albums dont get finished. They get released' - Edge

this band are so guilty of over egging the sauce...faaaarr too many producers and collaborators. Drop all that, go in, demo ten songs, get them down and out in a week. That's something U2 should do but never will.

I'd love to see an acoustic only album with all new songs.
    They are well capable if they drop the legions of hangers on.
    That's what u2 should be doing at this stage, and leave the gimmickry behind and make it about the music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Downloaded it, listened to the first few songs, deleted it. Crazy how people lap up such mediocre shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Downloaded it, listened to the first few songs, deleted it. Crazy how people lap up such mediocre shíte.

Yes because its possible to form a perfect opinion on a piece of work that took months/years to make by listening to the first few songs, go you :rolleyes:

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yes because its possible to form a perfect opinion on a piece of work that took months/years to make by listening to the first few songs, go you :rolleyes:

Well it's hardly impossible, is it?

FYI, my opinion was formed on the first song, and only confirmed by the second and third.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

I only got a chance to listen tonight but I'm very impressed, didn't think they had this in them after 40 years & 2 average previous albums.
    I'd put it up there with Pop as a piece of work, not really a poor track on it.
    I love Volcano & The Troubles.

Agree totally. It's a grower. For the me, the last three tracks are the gold. Great production too.

Well it's hardly impossible, is it?

FYI, my opinion was formed on the first song, and only confirmed by the second and third.

If thats how you judge all albums, you've missed out on some truly great music over the years.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If thats how you judge all albums, you've missed out on some truly great music over the years.

It's not, I usually give albums three+ listens actually. But there has to be something there the first time round that shows me it's worth sticking with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement