Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Stairway to Heaven. Cue disagreement
    Funnily enough, most Zeppelin fans (well from what I can tell anyway) wouldn't have that as their favourite song, mostly due to overplaying

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

New music is more interesting than old music. Particularly hip hop. Nostalgia does my head in we'd be better off with a lot less of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Funnily enough, most Zeppelin fans (well from what I can tell anyway) wouldn't have that as their favourite song, mostly due to overplaying

Not surprising. I imagine most Pulp fans don't hold Common People as their favourite for the same reason

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Risk album by Megadeth isn't that bad
    Thunderstruck by AC/DC is hugely overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The only grime artist worth listening to is Wiley. The others are watered-down, commercial sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

Malice wrote: »
    This is suposed to be unpopular opinions isn't it?

Well, I probably understated it. I'd actually go as far as to say that everybody should bloody well like them with no exceptions.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I hate guitar Gods - Hendrix and Clapton

The Who are rubbish

Billy Corgan was better in every way than Kurt Cobain

Rap/Hip Hop is misongynistic/selfish/materialistic drival and has a terribly negative influence on young people

U2 are a great band

Green Day are bloody awful

There are as many good bands around today as there always has been HOWEVER there will never be another Dylan, Beatles, Zeppelin, Nirvana type phenomena

Pseudo-sex in pop videos (fake lesbian stuff, I'm looking at you Fergie, Rihanna, Katy Perry) demeans women and is all the worse because it seems women are the main proponents of it

There are no good black or women rock bands (I think Blondie are awful and are only regarded as good because they have a woman singer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I hate the fcuking Eagles, man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

lol there are some crazy opinions on this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I love The Beatles. That seems to be 'uncool' nowadays.

I beg to differ.

Most people I know love the Beatles and constantly argue that they created music.

In that sense its obviously the 'cool' thing to love the Beatles.

For me, I would rather go for Coldplay any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I think "Baby One More Time" is the catchiest, most epic, genius song of all time.
    I feel Britney Spears is the only artist worth listening to. I listen to her music 24/7.... never any other artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Be here now is an awesome album :E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Oasis post-Morning Glory are still fantastic. Don't Believe The Truth is the best post-MG studio album.

Radiohead's best album is The Bends. Pablo Honey wipes the floor with any post-OK Computer album.

Popular music without guitar is sh*te (99% of the time!).

A band does not need multi-million punt stages to put on a good live show. They sort of miss the point of live music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the arctic monkeys suck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

People who complain that "music sucks nowadays" are automatically wrong.

On a similar vein, in 20 years the top rated comment on YouTube (or whatever) for Use Somebody will be, "Man I wish they played music like this on the radio".

Placebo have some good songs but also have terrible lyrics and an irritating cnut for a singer

The only people who love The Smiths are angsty teenagers from the 80s.

The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips is the single most annoying album ever.

Kanye West is something of a genius

Foo Fighters have one and a half good songs per album them the rest is ****e. Same with Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Van Halen are a sackful of guitar ****

Modest Mouse are a poor man's Pixies

Led Zeppelin have one good song the rest are average

Bright Eyes needs to feckin' cheer up

Foals are not good

Jimi Hendrix is boring

Manic Street Preachers have one good song

Dave Grohl — why do people worship him?

Adele's music would be more enjoyable if she were better looking

Everyone secretly loves ABBA

i disagree with everything you just said :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Led Zep suck balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

sky88 wrote: »
    the arctic monkeys suck

Your opinion is incorrect. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

There are no good black or women rock bands
    Do you mean bands composed entirely of black people and bands composed entirely of women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Stairway to Heaven. Cue disagreement

If that's the song you like, that's the song you like. Who am I to tell you any different? Besides, it is a good song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

New music is more interesting than old music. Particularly hip hop. Nostalgia does my head in we'd be better off with a lot less of it.

I think the older you get the harder it becomes to hear genuinely "New Music" the vast majority of stuff I hear is essentially reworking of older music, Rap/ Hip Hop which was fresh and exciting has become especially stagnant in the last decade.

Not sure on what's popular/unpopular really but stuff that surprises most other music fans I know
    • I never liked the Beatles, I know the Stones were basically just a derivative R&B band but I much preferred them
    • The Pixies & Frank Black are just awful, it all sounds the same to me.
    • Radiohead bore me senseless (Parts of OK Computer excepted)
    • I discovered that I liked Bruce Springsteen (a lot) very late in life
    • Paul Weller might be an arrogant ---- but he could pen a mighty fine tune,even with the Style Council
    • Country Music is great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Muse used to suck but their later works are superior.
    The Resistance says you're wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I really like the Second Coming despite the fact that it sounds like something Led Zep threw away in places.
    I wish the Stones had split years ago I think it's cringe-worthy watching them now.
    I think the "Long And Winding Road" is the worst song The Beatles wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Malice wrote: »
    Do you mean bands composed entirely of black people and bands composed entirely of women?

Yup (Living Colour and the likes of The Bangles were rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The only people who love The Smiths are angsty teenagers from the 80s.

Johnny Marr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I hate Bruce Springsteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I hate Bruce Springsteen.

This is a very strange illness. Can you explain why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I have given up listening to any music other than songs that I can go running at a fast pace to. Consequently, song quality gets judged according to how apt it is to run to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Never really got The Cure. Depressing ****e if you ask me.

Kanye West isn't given the credit he deserves as an artist. Five phenomenal albums one after each other IMO.

Eminem will go down in history as one of the best artists of the 21st century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Johnny Marr.

J'en ai marre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    i disagree with everything you just said :P

I agreed with a lot of it, but that Soft Bulletin one? Best album ever recorded I reckon :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I agreed with a lot of it, but that Soft Bulletin one? Best album ever recorded I reckon :pac:

damn straight! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I really don't like U2!...sinful i know :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

eskimocat wrote: »
    I really don't like U2!...sinful i know :p

That's a very popular opinion, don't worry. Much like my opinion on Kanye West, I don't really want to hear about how wealthy he is in every one of his songs. I was once told by someone born in the middle of a bog in the middle of nowhere "Don't be hatin' on Ye".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Never really got The Cure. Depressing ****e if you ask me.
    It's the best depressing ****e you could listen to, all the best music is depressing. Who the **** wants to listen to happy happy happy music?
    Kanye West isn't given the credit he deserves as an artist. Five phenomenal albums one after each other IMO.
    Wouldn't be so sure about that, My Dark Twisted Fantasy was hyped to the high heavens. I think he gets more than his fair share of credit.
    Eminem will go down in history as one of the best artists of the 21st century.
    Ha aha ahahaha.

Sure, and Vanilla Ice was the greatest artist of the 90's...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

The Foo Fighters are a bit ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Inspiral Carpets were the best of the Madchester bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I only like or two Smiths songs.

I only like one or two Nirvana songs.

I'm sick of people saying music isn't as good today as there was in the *insert decade here* (Normally the 80's). There's lots of brilliant music being produced if you look in the right places. it also annoys me when someone either initially likes a song but dislikes it when he hears it's in the charts or hates a song because it's in the charts. Give it a chance, I mean there's a lot of chart music that I personally wouldn't listen to but there's some enjoyable stuff too.

el dude wrote: »
    The Foo Fighters are a bit ordinary.

A bit?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Most successful rappers rip off the exact same samples as lesser known artists from a few years earler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Nolanger wrote: »
    The only grime artist worth listening to is Wiley. The others are watered-down, commercial sh*te.

There are a hell of a lot of the emcees are grime purists and make far less frequent stabs at commercial singles like Wiley. I think he's probably got the best approach because he does both. He'll put out an album that he says is complete ****e, then release 9 zips of grime stuff on Twitter for free. You might enjoy Tempa T, JME, D Double E or P Money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Adore is the Smashing Pumpkins' only good album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Adore is the Smashing Pumpkins' only good album.

but Gish!

After the Gold Rush is the best album ever made.

OK Computer is the second best album ever made.

The Who are shíte apart from one or two songs.

Neutral Milk Hotel are shíte apart from 2 songs.

Arcade fire are horrible.

Mumford and Sons are absolutely and utterly horrific, all their songs sound exactly the same.

KoL suck.

The Clash suck, Doors have 2 good songs, Bon Jovi have 2 good songs, Fleetwood Mac suck, Iggy Pop has one good song, rest sucks.

Tom Petty kicks ass.

Tom Waits sucks apart from one song.

Tom Waits sucks apart from one song.

What song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Captain beefheart - no its not avant garde, its ****ing annoying ****e
    u2 are dire (just to add to the pile)
    a lot of pink floyds stuff is piss...except dsotm, wywh, and meddle
    rem - go die in a fire
    kol - ****e
    scandinavians know how to make proper girl pop music - robyn, annie, the sounds.
    closest ireland/england got was girls aloud
    continiental european electronic music > american electronica >>>>>>>>>ireland & england electronica

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »
    What song?

rain dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

AC/DC are rubbish
    Thin Lizzy even more so
    Def Leppard don't even get me started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Ha aha ahahaha.

Sure, and Vanilla Ice was the greatest artist of the 90's...

Ah here you shouldn't be trying to compare Eminem to Vanilla Ice.

At the tail-end of the 90s and the first 3 years of the 00s Eminem was pretty untouchable. 3 albums that are high up on the Rolling Stones top 500 of all time list.

Then he went and won an Oscar for 'Lose Yourself', a first for a rap song. Not to mention that he's one of the highest, if not the highest, selling artists of the decade from 2000 on.

Sure he's tailed off in recent years but for a period of 4-5 years he was THE biggest artist in the world IMO. Therefore I don't think it's that much of a wild claim to say he'll go down as one of the best artists of the 21st century.

EDIT:

I forgot to add that Seamus Heaney, of all people, even praised Eminem when he was asked if there was a figure in popular culture who aroused interest in poetry and lyrics in the way that Bob Dylan and John Lennon did during the 1960s and 70s.

- "He has created a sense of what is possible"
    - "He has sent a voltage around a generation"
    - "He has done this not just through his subversive attitude but also his verbal energy"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3033614.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

retalivity wrote: »
    closest ireland/england got was girls aloud

Girls Aloud are class, especially Nadine Coyle:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I really, really dislike REM/Michael Stipe's voice

• Advertisement
Advertisement