Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry's homedovering coverage on RTE News

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

YFlyer wrote: »
    There was a guy in a Spurs jersey outside his family's local. I'm thinking its JohnnyFlash.

Scoping out the facilities no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Heard him on the wireless this morning discussing the homecoming, he sounded as if he spent the night gargling with Shane Lowry!

"the wireless"
    Was that on Radio Eireann
    And now the Andy Creighton sponsored showman show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Attended it. Admittedly bandwagon hopper but sure they're near enough to the A-Town so...

I get it that this is AH so ye have to be negative by default lads but anyhow, here's my summing up.

Really enjoyed that impromptu party that evening. Moving speeches by Lowry and guest Míchael O Muirterach. Only downside was Des Cahill hurrying them up and cutting them short.

Overall a great evening out. From the sun splitting the rocks, kids blowing bubbles, Mundy belting out July, Lowrys Gran showing us some Offaly songs to even that silly councillor using the dreaded term "going forward"(will they ever learn)...

I've had worse Tuesday nights. Well done Clara 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Attended it. Admittedly bandwagon hopper but sure they're near enough to the A-Town so...

I get it that this is AH so ye have to be negative by default lads but anyhow, here's my summing up.

Really enjoyed that impromptu party that evening. Moving speeches by Lowry and guest Míchael O Muirterach. Only downside was Des Cahill hurrying them up and cutting them short.

Overall a great evening out. From the sun splitting the rocks, kids blowing bubbles, Mundy belting out July, Lowrys Gran showing us some Offaly songs to even that silly councillor using the dreaded term "going forward"(will they ever learn)...

At least you could hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I love a good, chaotic corny Irish homecoming. I don't think I have ever watched one without a smile on my face.

I remember vividly the night Barry McGuigan came home and being in the thick of the celebrations.
    If you see the darkness that has descended on his family these last few days you would realise the importance of fully embracing the good days in all their corny, chaotic, unplanned glory. You only live once.

• Advertisement

Duffer's reaction to Padre Pio is box-office there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I love a good, chaotic corny Irish homecoming. I don't think I have ever watched one without a smile on my face.

I remember vividly the night Barry McGuigan came home and being in the thick of the celebrations.
    If you see the darkness that has descended on his family these last few days you would realise the importance of fully embracing the good days in all their corny, chaotic, unplanned glory. You only live once.

These events are fantastic. If you're from any small rural town or parish it's great to have these occasions for the sense of community.

Sure they might be cheesey, but you'd want to be a hardened cynic to not smile at the joy it brings to the locals.

I thought Lowrys uncles on the news were hilarious, especially the auld lad that said he had a dream about it. Brilliant stuff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,130 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

GMSA wrote: »
    Des bloody Cahill. God spare us from this misery.

I wouldn’t turn on anything with that lad on it, snorting and sniggering at ‘de paartie’. He’s already inflicted us with cringeworthy events like the Katie Taylor and hockey team homecomings.

A serious question:

Who sets the wheels in motion for these homecomings?

Who ‘appoints’ these Mcs. Noel Kelly?

Is Cahill paid by RTE or is it separate?

Seems to me Shane, great lad that he is, was uncomfortable with the whole event, seems to me he would have preferred a low key private homecoming without the ‘vested interests’ getting involved and taking over.

Nothing personal , but Mr Cahill in my opinion is totally unsuitable for events like this, way too light voiced and cardboardy.

Just like to know more of ‘de baachkgreund’ to these ‘events’

Thanks

YFlyer wrote: »
    There was a guy in a Spurs jersey outside his family's local. I'm thinking its JohnnyFlash.

Is he sucking a Marboro ciggie and shifting from one leg to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I wouldn’t turn on anything with that lad on it, snorting and sniggering at ‘de paartie’. He’s already inflicted us with cringeworthy events like the Katie Taylor and hockey team homecomings.

A serious question:

Who sets the wheels in motion for these homecomings?

Who ‘appoints’ these Mcs. Noel Kelly?

Is Cahill paid by RTE or is it separate?

Seems to me Shane, great lad that he is, was uncomfortable with the whole event, seems to me he would have preferred a low key private homecoming without the ‘vested interests’ getting involved and taking over.

Nothing personal , but Mr Cahill in my opinion is totally unsuitable for events like this, way too light voiced and cardboardy.

Just like to know more of ‘de baachkgreund’ to these ‘events’

Thanks

Cahill was half cut on the radio yesterday morning as well. Liam and Lynn License Payer expect better.

• Advertisement

Cahill was half cut on the radio yesterday morning as well. Liam and Lynn License Payer expect better.

What program.was that John, I’d be interested in listening back as I was on some important company business yesterday.

I wonder are there rumblings about ‘de cricket lads’ as we speak:eek:

Was advised there was beginnings of a podium out in Malahide and what looked like a ‘Welcome Home the boys in White ‘ banner.

Not a reliable source though....more a reliable soak.

What program.was that John, I’d be interested in listening back as I was on some important company business yesterday.

I wonder are there rumblings about ‘de cricket lads’ as we speak:eek:

Was advised there was beginnings of a podium out in Malahide and what looked like a ‘Welcome Home the boys in White ‘ banner.

Not a reliable source though....more a reliable soak.

Morning Ireland, Brendan. Just before 9. The ‘colour piece’. Des was slurring his words and laying on the ‘lads on the lash’ shtick. Audrey Carville didn’t sound like she was falling for Dessie’s palaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

When Barry won the British title his father described the scenes in Clones as " like Scotstown after winning the County title"

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Edgware wrote: »
    When Barry won the British title his father described the scenes in Clones as " like Scotstown after winning the County title"

Never heard that one. Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Can anyone recall Harrington's two homecomings?

I hear Dara shilling the ‘homecomings’ on Sat Sport.

Cahill must have given him the nudge.

I hear Dara shilling the ‘homecomings’ on Sat Sport.

Cahill must have given him the nudge.

Daragh Moloney? Nice lad and excellent commentator. Would have been far better than Des ‘Me sinuses’ Cahill.

Daragh Moloney? Nice lad and excellent commentator. Would have been far better than Des ‘Me sinuses’ Cahill.

Agree John, seems he is being dragged into the ways of the lifers though.

Seems like Cahill has ‘pulled the ripcord’ though, getting the max out of ‘de homecomings’ and the little jaunts to Augusta although I don’t remember any reports from him from there.....uhhhhhm.... was down in Lahinch too I’m told, didn’t hear anything from there either.

Must be near retiring age now...so .... maybe taking a few long standing ‘punts’.

By the way, as an aside today’s ‘panel’ and contributors are pumping out the cliches and care worn ‘asides’ , by the new time,doing my fuhhherking head in I’m not ashamed to admit.Terrible shyythe.

That Tom Dempsey dude has me has me well riled up, and very crusty.

I’m hitting for the fridge, annoying me big time

Advertisement