Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Christmas Podcast

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    I don't think we should pursuit any group participation project until the initial project can take off first.

To jump in on this, a more basic podcast along the lines of what LoughC was planning I feel would be more in keeping with the ethos of this forum, we all basically come in here to discuss christmas & our ideas of what that means to us all. A discussion podcast would definitely fit into that far more neatly & IMO would be a nice step to take, without being too ambitious from the outset which has been the death of many a well intentioned project.

I'd also personally feel far more comfortable participating in something of this scale & suspect the levels of ambition & indeed technical knowhow that the panto podcast would require to pull off successfully could may well be a case of running before we can crawl.

Not purposely trying to put a downer on the idea, I just feel its a massive leap & one that could potentially end and appetite for folk here & their future participation for less ambitious projects that stand a better chance of being successful.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 59,568 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

OK. It is evident that the forum central command and control is in joint opposition and that is putting the kibosh on the whole idea, even in the scenario where a dedicated group tries to get the project over the line. Given this, it is evident to me that the panto will never happen- it's a shame given the apparent willingness of a number of regular forum members to get involved.

As for the 'generic podcast idea: it's worth noting that this thread was floated in October 2014 and then resurrected in January 2019. Absolutely nothing happened in between these dates to get the idea moving. It seems to be lacking a champion of the concept- announcements are floated and then die a death with no real follow through. At present, the "same old, same old" scenario is unfolding- as was noted in an earlier post on this thread, there is absolutely nothing in place for a generic podcast, some 6 months after the resurrection of the concept. I don't see any realistic prospect of any form of podcast happening but would be happy to be proven wrong.

As Einstein said "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." There is clearly little appetite for making mistakes here or even allowing mistakes to be made by others.

For myself, I may as well call it a day so I'm definitely out from the project and will unfollow both this thread and forum. I'll finish by thanking everyone who tried to constructively engage with the proposed panto, particularly those members who indicated a willingness to participate. FluffyTowel and Mark of Boards both have the definitive links to the current draft via PM (the earlier attachment I posted in this thread is not the definitive draft) should anyone be interested in working on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

As for the 'generic podcast idea: it's worth noting that this thread was floated in October 2014 and then resurrected in January 2019. Absolutely nothing happened in between these dates to get the idea moving. It seems to be lacking a champion of the concept- announcements are floated and then die a death with no real follow through. At present, the "same old, same old" scenario is unfolding- as was noted in an earlier post on this thread, there is absolutely nothing in place for a generic podcast, some 6 months after the resurrection of the concept. I don't see any realistic prospect of any form of podcast happening but would be happy to be proven wrong.

Apologies for having a life :)

If you were a forum regular you would have learned work and personal commitments have tied up all of my free time lately, I don't have the time I once would have to sink into launching a podcast.

Also no one is in opposition to you or a project, it's as simple as DVB put it, you're trying to run before you can walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,568 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Apologies for having a life :)

If you were a forum regular you would have learned work and personal commitments have tied up all of my free time lately, I don't have the time I once would have to sink into launching a podcast.

All the more reason to try get others to engage in developing the concept. It doesn't need to be a one-person effort. There is goodwill there to get things progressed.

Also no one is in opposition to you or a project, it's as simple as DVB put it, you're trying to run before you can walk.

To my question "If there is a group of people willing to try and progress the project, are you OK with that" you replied "I don't think we should pursuit any group participation project until the initial project can take off first." Apart from not answering the direct question asked, it seems pretty negatively disposed towards the effort proposed. At least try.

Anyway- it's your show so I won't be interfering as I won't be around.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

All the more reason to try get others to engage in developing the concept. It doesn't need to be a one-person effort. There is goodwill there to get things progressed.

To my question "If there is a group of people willing to try and progress the project, are you OK with that" you replied "I don't think we should pursuit any group participation project until the initial project can take off first." Apart from not answering the direct question asked, it seems pretty negatively disposed towards the effort proposed. At least try.

Anyway- it's your show so I won't be interfering as I won't be around.

Once again, if you wish to continue with a group project you may, I'll even split the thread for you into two separate projects. The panto style podcast is personally not for me and not one I would be participating in. But if you wish to pursuit it I'm happy to setup a separate thread for it.

• Advertisement

@namenotavailable

Didn’t mean to knock ure idea- just providing advice- here are the challenges you’d need to work through:

1. If recording separately you’re going to get various levels of sound quality which will sound odd in the final version

2. Recording separately will mean that hundreds of sound files will need to be sliced and diced together in line with the script

3. Not everyone is an actor so the emotions included throughout may not come across well

4. Even if you got everyone together somehow, there would be retake after retake before getting it right

5. It’s a huge script - recording and editing would be big tasks for this work

Advertisement