Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying French vs Spanish - Which one is easier to learn?

Options
  • 26-09-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

My son is finishing his primary schooling this year. Next year onward he has an option to study either French or Spanish. Can any one suggest which one is easier to learn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are both the same. The question is I suppose which he will find more useful.
    Are there French or Spanish children in the school/estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

always thought spanish was pretty cool. seeing as 400 - 500 million people in the world that speak it, along with countless holidays to spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

From a biased French teacher :) From my experience of working with Spanish teachers, the exam at Leaving Cert seems to be more difficult than French. French is also very close to English and students can pick it up quite easily. Is there not a trial period in the school? Our students study both for a year and decide going into second year. Also, don't let grades make the decision. There is more of a push on Spanish in our school but looking at the way it's examined and graded, students choose it because they see it as easier because they got higher marks. As I tell my students, first and second year French is the hardest for exams because they have to learn a lot of vocabulary/grammar. Guesswork and making a good attempt at writing passages in the Junior/Leaving Cert can result in good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

biko wrote: »
    They are both the same. The question is I suppose which he will find more useful.
    Are there French or Spanish children in the school/estate?

No French or Spanish students in the school or where I live.

When it comes to multi lingual jobs I think both have oppertunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Colsin91

I think that the key to learning a language is to love the language. I fell in love with the South of France, and that inspired me to speak French every day and to eventually attain fluency.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd disagree that French is like English other than some words. I think you either like it or don't. I failed it for leaving cert but after living over there and attaining fluency, I'm studying for a degree in it now as I developed a love for it. I tried to learn Spanish before with no success, so I see both as being equally difficult. In terms of usefulness, I believe very few employers care if you speak a second language or not outside of Dublin or Cork.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Unless you're looking for a job in one of the EU bodies, in which case two or three European languages may be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paddy_murphy

Spanish is much more fun than French! :) (and easier...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Spanish is much more fun than French! :) (and easier...)

Have you studied both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paddy_murphy

Have you studied both?

I am native in both languages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From my experience on learning the basics on Duolingo, I reckon Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I found French much easier to learn because i enjoyed it and i was younger when i started. I tried Spanish as an adult and didn't like it - it's gibberish to me.
    The only problem i had with French was that during the orals, i was speaking french, unconsciously, in the Irish orals and some Irish phrases crept into the French exam.

Which does your son prefer? It's his education and he will do better at an elective subject that he enjoys. He might not have flair for languages, so suss him out too.
    Your local library will have language material available (Sky channels have french news too) if you want to give him exposure. And don't forget that education isn't about the easiest path to 600 points in the LC; it's about developing the mind and the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niallcon4re

I am close to fluent in Spanish and intermediate French. The French conquered England in 1066 and for centuries the wealthy spoke French, this is Why French vocab is so much closer to English. French grammar is also easier the verb “to be” is possibly the most common verb in any language, it splits into two in Spanish.

The only advantage of Spanish is that it is phonetic, also it has fewer types of symbols that go over letters so is easier to write.

Spanish is by far, a more important language though (don’t forget the USA)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

Manach wrote: »
    From my experience on learning the basics on Duolingo, I reckon Spanish.
    That's the issue with Spanish. People see that the very basics are relatively easy and decide that it's easy. It actually gets quite complex later on, especially with concepts like the subjunctive (which is used much more extensively than in French). It depends what the end goal is, really. I think both languages are extremely useful for life and work and don't regret learning either.

Advertisement