Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motherboard damage Dell Vostro 15 I3 upgrade or buy new laptop?

• 23-11-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi.
    Looking for some help. I have a Dell Vostro 15 I3 laptop with what looks like spill damage on the mother board. I was thinking about getting an 860 Evo SSD but with the new motherboard would it be worth it or should I just buy a new laptop?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

depends on what the motherboard costs and how old the laptop is/ how the specs compare to current ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

What makes you think it has motherboard damage?

Also, getting an 860 Evo is dependant really on your personal choice, whether or not you think it would improve things for you with a functioning Vostro.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Thanks for the replies. Pc world opened the laptop and showed me the motherboard which is rusted with what looks like a soft drink.Its one of my kids laptops that apparently nothing spilled on. They suggested I put an SSD in and try get a new mother board but they don't do the motherboard repairs themselves. Its I3 and 4gb ram I think.

I was going to buy her an ipad and keep the laptop myself and just try upgrade it.

• Site Banned Posts: 35 joejoggs

If the laptop is currently working then I wouldn't bother with a new motherboard. I wouldn't listen to those lads in PC world to be honest.

If your inclined to get a new motherboard there around 200-300 mark . If your not comfortable fitting it your self then your probably looking at minimum 50 for it to be installed and another 70 for the SSD. Computer repair shops will charge more than 50, more like a hundred.

I'd just get a new laptop to be honest and no better time with black Friday coming up, but if the current laptop is working fine then I wouldn't bother.

Any pictures of the water damage and could advise more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I would agree with above. Is laptop working? Could be it only needs a new keyboard, which is relatively easy to replace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement