Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adamstown, Lucan

Options
  • 29-11-2020 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Looking to buy around Adamstown, more specifically a place in the Castlegate Park area

Area looks fine to me after visiting, I guess what you could expect for a dormitory neighbourhood. I heard some complains about social housing but that doesn't seem to me a serious concern unless there's antisocial behavior.

I'm not from the area, am I missing anything or anything to add? With all the new developments around the station, I think the area will start having more services and will look less dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Looking to buy around Adamstown, more specifically a place in the Castlegate Park area

Area looks fine to me after visiting, I guess what you could expect for a dormitory neighbourhood. I heard some complains about social housing but that doesn't seem to me a serious concern unless there's antisocial behavior.

I'm not from the area, am I missing anything or anything to add? With all the new developments around the station, I think the area will start having more services and will look less dead.

Try it during the morning rush hour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SuitableMinute

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Try it during the morning rush hour. :)

As in, it's not dead in the morning at all? How busy can the train get?

Any thoughts/red flags on the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lcarrol3

I work in a local, government run service. I would be happy to elaborate further via pm if you'd like further clarity as to why I have the below opinion just not happy to shout about my employer on a public forum. I have to stress also I'm not local to the area and don't know it very well other than what I've written below, so pinch of salt. :)

We have noticed in recent years an increasing number of antisocial and gang and drug related issues in recent years coming from Adamstown and this end of Lucan. What we usually get fed back from mostly young men is that there are not enough local amenities and teenagers are turning to alcohol and drugs. This has led to regular drug dealing in the area and we have had people targeted for drug related crime, dropping out of school, etc, again mostly young men. This has been on the rise particularly in recent years.

Like I say take that with a pinch of salt, but that's what we've seen from our service. If I were to move to Lucan I would probably be buying a slightly smaller home closer to the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I live in one of the new estates in Adamstown and can confirm that overall it's a nice enough area.

PC mode off: However there are a few roads in the "older" part where the council has bought houses/apartments over the last few years. As a result of this there has been an increase of anti-social behaviour. There is a handful Irish trouble makers and two groups of African (Nigerian) lads who are acting up tough. It's usually all talk but there were a few attacks as well.
    Unfortunately the Castlegate Park area is the roughest part (backed up by talks to community Gardai) and therefore I would advise against buying there.

That said the rest of Adamstown is a nice multicultural place with good schools and a creche. SDCC is currently working on a new parc with playgrounds etc which will be opening in 2021.

Advertisement