Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Leak Not Being Repaired

Options
  • 23-11-2020 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone on here might be able to give me some suggestion as to where I should go from here on this issue.

So the apartment I am renting (through a agency) has an issue with rain water leaking through a couple of the walls whenever it gets heavy. This issue appears to be coming from the balcony of the apartment above me (at a guess the water is gathering on the balcony and then finding a way to leak through the walls.

This results in a couple of spots in the apartment actually dripping water when the rain gets heavy enough.

The walls are slowly getting more and more damaged to the point where paint is coming off and mold is starting to come through in some spots.

I've notified both the agency I rent from and the management company of the block but nothing is seemingly being done about it. The management company had an engineer out at one point but they could get access to the apartment above me to actually look at the issue.

Since then I've been emailed periodic reminders to the agency I rent from and the management company (the latter of which just ignores my mails at this point). I was told two weeks ago the apartment above would have builders out to look at the problem but that never happened (or at the best they came out and didn't fix it).

Neither the agency I rent from or the management company seem to care one bit about the problem so I'm at a loss for what my next steps should be. I think it's a pretty fair request to want to be protected from the elements in your own apartment.

What do I do now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

Doomofman wrote: »
    I've notified both the agency I rent from and the management company of the block but nothing is seemingly being done about it. The management company had an engineer out at one point but they could get access to the apartment above me to actually look at the issue.

I had a similar issue. Water was actually coming in from the apt. two floors above!

Keep calling the management company. Get the contact number for the neighbour above and arrange access.

If nobody there, it can be (probably, that's what I was told) entered by force by the management company / engineer as a last resort.

You need to manage this very directly with all people involved. Otherwise nothing will happen - nobody else cares.

It took me few months to solve it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Open a dispute with RTB is your next step.
    https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Do you have any contact details for your landlord, as the owner of the apartment I can't imagine they would be too happy about the damages.
    I know agency would normally be point of contact but if you have details in this case I would bypass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

First off, all complaints need to be put in writing and accompanied by photographs. Copies of all correspondence needs to be kept. If no action or response after a week commence a dispute with the RTB. Notify the environmental officer of the local authority and have the place inspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

sure, file your complaints, but if you want something done, you need to get involved more in managing this directly, if you see that nobody else seems to care

landlord/agent will just say they contacted the management company, out of their hands, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

This has been an ongoing issue for months. All correspondence was through mail so have copies of it all.

Sadly I don't have the contact details for the actual landlord (can't imagine the agency would have told them what's happening).

Sent an email to the agency this morning asking for an update so if I don't hear anything this week, I'll look into contacting the RTB and kicking off that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the owner of apartment above refuses to engage there's not much the management company can do and they are correct to ignore you.

You need to keep at your agency, or get a contact for your landlord as they are a member of the management company, but if the other owner refuses to engage there's not much anyone can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Doomofman wrote: »

Sent an email to the agency this morning asking for an update so if I don't hear anything this week, I'll look into contacting the RTB and kicking off that process.

Contact the council as well.

Advertisement