Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Individual tree protection

Options
  • 30-12-2019 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Priced some 1.2m tubex tree tube guards from kestrel forestry, 200x with stakes and delivery came to €770 😳

I'm not disputing their quality, but are there cheaper alternatives to protect young trees from hares primarily. I may be able to keep sheep and cattle away with temporary electric fencing.

Something like 4 inch flexible drainage pipe, cut regular split stakes smaller into tree stakes, stumped as what to use as an alternative tree tie.

Over to the audience for solutions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I saw a tweet last week with a man using Stockholm tar on his trees, the same used on cows udders to stop flies causing summer mastitis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

That's interesting, for sure they wouldn't like the smell of stockholm tar. I wonder would it keep the grazing animals off them too? If the fence lost power. It wouldn't stop trampling, but they'll mostly be in wetter areas so I think only light traffic at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I bought about 900 tubex from kestrel. I have had no issues. They let something like 95 % light thru. They work for me. Drainage tubes or whatever may protect against animals but that doesn't mean the tree sapling gets what it needs.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hplp

Tubex are the one of the best ways to get trees away from the grass too.

H

Advertisement